Fairey O/D help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I have a good fairey OD and a good transfer case attached to a junk 3 speed trans. I also have a good h-41 that I want to install in my 40 with the fairey and transfer case. Hoping someone that knows, can walk me through the process. Thanks in advance,
Rick

I would find and read all the threads here on Mud about swapping a 3 speed xfer to a 4 speed trans, and start there.

The Fairey is pretty junky piece of kit with many parts unobtainable and a poor quality casting for the housing.

Given the work you're going to its worth considering just going to an H55F instead and not placing any reliance on the Fairey into the future. I honestly feel even the 5 speed upgrade is overrated though, just going to an unmolested H41 (non Fairey) upgrade could be considered too.

Last edited:
I just completed a project on mine that will be in an upcoming issue of Tread magazine: NOS H41, NOS split transfer case, Sumo low range gears, and 3.70 diff gears. I think this might be the sweet spot for getting both lower highway RPMs and a lower low range. Much less work than an H55 and you don't wind up with a 12-inch-long rear driveshaft.

Ugh, that short? I forget everyone doesn't drive a LWB.

Last LWB 40 series imported by Toyota to the US was in 1967. Our four door FJ45LV was replaced by the FJ55. The pickup/ute was dropped completely. No chassis with a cab to use for a trayback was ever offered. Also when the J30 was replaced by a four speed it was the H42 not the H41. The H55F never made its in a Land Cruiser imported directly from Japan new from Toyota. We did get lucky when Toyota stopped supporting any part not on a vehicle imported the H55F manage to slip thru.

On the subject of the Fairey OD unless the H41 have a ten spline tailshaft it will require some parts to convert to a sixteen spline tailshaft. If the H41 has nineteen spline tsilshaft plan on a splt transfer case. Split transfer case Fairey OD are very rare in the US. Better off going H55F. Interesting Toyota never put the H55F in a LWB 40 series. Largest number were in the BJ42 and FJ40. Some made it in the BJ46 and FJ43.

I have plans for both a Fairey OD and H55F in 40 series. Fairey OD mated to a H42 in a 73 FJ40 FST and H55F in a 79 FJ40. Have the driveshafts for the 40 series with H55F.

On the 73 while it came with a three the four will bolt right in since markets like Australia had a four speed in 73. There is room for the Fairey OD. H55F would require work. 79 the fuel tank is in the way of a Fairey OD. But the H55F only requires minor mods in the transmission and clears the torque tube behind transfer as long as the hand brake moves to the rear axle. When figuring the extra length of the H55F have to member the back plate of the four speed isn't there and neither is the hand brake. Think the short rear driveshaft really only an issue with a lift.

Been running a H42 in my 68 FJ40 for years. I really like the gears in the H42 if your not doing any hard wheeling. Would have like to seen a five speed with first thru fourth gears the same a the H42 then a lower gear set in the transfer case.

I thought the spline count on the h-41 is same as the older 3 speeds ? thus my reasoning behind using the 3 speed transfer case and fairey that I have with the h-41.

I thought the spline count on the h-41 is same as the older 3 speeds ? thus my reasoning behind using the 3 speed transfer case and fairey that I have with the h-41.

There are some with ten spline but most are not. The two I have are sixteen and nineteen spline. The very early H41 were ten spline. Almost bought a NOS H41 that was ten spline over twenty years. The vendor who I was getting it from was unable to acquire it.

That’s good information that I did not know. Just counted the tail shaft splines on mine and it is indeed a 10 spline. Whew, So, back to the Fairey. I’ve never had any problems with it so I’m still Wanting to use it. My biggest concern is being able to remove it with the transfer case, or not. Can I remove the fairey and transfer case from the 3 speed, together as 1 unit and install on the h-41 the same, way, or do I have to separate the two ?

Tailshaft will be the same as the three speed. Everything will go together the same as the three speed.

Now the issue will be overdrive clear the torque tube behind the transfers case. If your cruiser is 9/72 or newer I know it will. If the three speed is still installed I would measure from the furthest spot on the OD to the torque tube. Figure on at a minimum 3 1/2". I know my 68 with a four speed the brake drum on the back of the transfer case just clears the torque tube. Clearance is the main issue I didn't look at installing a OD in my 68.

That’s good information that I did not know. Just counted the tail shaft splines on mine and it is indeed a 10 spline. Whew, So, back to the Fairey. I’ve never had any problems with it so I’m still Wanting to use it. My biggest concern is being able to remove it with the transfer case, or not. Can I remove the fairey and transfer case from the 3 speed, together as 1 unit and install on the h-41 the same, way, or do I have to separate the two ?
Maybe. You will have to pull the rear cover on the Fairey, which includes the thrust and support bearings for the tail shaft/Input/output to get to the tailshaft locknut that will release the old tailshaft.

The reason that I am reluctant to just say yes is that there is a 1-2%chance your 4speed has an aftermarket 10 spline output shaft, which does not completely mimic the factory 3 speed. They do exist.

Last edited:
Well my 40 is a 1964, I’ll have to measure for the clearance. I just assumed it would clear.
Hopefully I’ll get lucky with the tail shaft. Guess I’ll have to get into it to find out for sure. Hopefully I can make this happen relatively easily and without needing any parts for the fairey that are no longer available. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge guys

At one time had a pretty good collection of Fairey OD and parts
0002.JPG
0003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom