Failure to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put the new coil on and she started bu but is having trouble idling. I have to work the accelerator to obtain 10k RPM and she purrs fine. it seems to be an engine idle adjustment. Any Ideas out there?

I tried to make sense of your original thread post but it’s all over the place. So, your 80 was running one day and suddenly wouldn’t start? Then you replaced the coil and it started but won't idle properly or won’t idle at all? Did you disconnect the battery at some point while this problem was being diagnosed?

Quite easy, it was struck by lightening, surged fried the electronics including the ECM and sat for about 18 months. So Now after draining tank of bad fuel, replacing fuel filter and testing continuity of electronic to include the ECM I narrowed down to the Coil which I replaced today. Now it will start but will not idle. As for the battery I have not unhooked the battery and think I know were you are going with this. By disconnecting the battery I will resst the ECM? Am I tracking...lol

No. After disconnecting the battery the ecm needs several start cycles to relearn. Sounds like you are slowly narrowing down the issues. The iac may need some looking into.

No. After disconnecting the battery the ecm needs several start cycles to relearn. Sounds like you are slowly narrowing down the issues. The iac may need some looking into.
slowly...LOL however, not familiar with "IAC"? To be clear, battery is new and was installed after the ECM was installed and plugged in. So, I should disconnect again and recycle the starting sequences again? or just continue to start? to be clear I first connected EMC and battery she started like a champ and idled for about 15 minutes until I shut he Rhino down. After she won't start when the ignition was attempted as if no spark. Tested igniter and coil. Igniter good coil bad. Hope this helps

Strange that it started and idled fine on the first attempt but won’t on subsequent attempts.

You might try 15 or so start/shutdown/start cycles before digging any further. The iac is the Inlet Air Controler on the throttle body.

Strange that it started and idled fine on the first attempt but won’t on subsequent attempts.

You might try 15 or so start/shutdown/start cycles before digging any further. The iac is the Inlet Air Controler on the throttle body.
yeah I thought it odd too. I had a few TPS sensors that I know are good, so I swapped it out. as for the IAC I remembered what that was after I messaged you back and that may very well be the problem. I will get on that sometime in the next few days and let y'all how it does, I sure hope it is the culprit. If not I will have to take a closer look at the injectors but the fuel pressure tested great. Thanks for the input it is appreciated

Baldilocks you called it right. Pulled the intake cleaned it out the butterfly was was caked near solid. Removed the TPS and the and the IAC the TPS and tested them both, The TPS was good but the IAC only clicked. I reassembled the the intake and started the Rhino. Unfortunately the Idle was wide open. I took the IAC off and inspected it to find the actuator came out but did not close. Further inspection of the inters revealed it trashed and most of it had designated. Thanks for all y'alls help it is greatly appriciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom