Factory Auxiliary Sub Tank Install (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you happen to remember the part number for the Yaris fuel tank gasket? The one I got seems way to big to work.

Do you happen to remember the part number for the Yaris fuel tank gasket? The one I got seems way to big to work.

Does this look like the same (small) hole you have. Ill dig through my notes if so.

img_7331-jpg.943078

I used an 83361-20030 and 93319-14010 screws.

I used Phil's ideas here for my subtank and Iove the result. I do not have a factory sub tank (4 door Chevy Tracker for $20) but I am using the Holley blue pump and dual filler from @Akella . Vented back to the main tank, repurposed rear defrost switch. I tried to find a factory sub but no luck at the time. Happy with what I have.

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration Phil!

I used Phil's ideas here for my subtank and Iove the result. I do not have a factory sub tank (4 door Chevy Tracker for $20) but I am using the Holley blue pump and dual filler from @Akella . Vented back to the main tank, repurposed rear defrost switch. I tried to find a factory sub but no luck at the time. Happy with what I have.

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration Phil!
What year Tracker and how many gallons? My spare tire space is smaller than stock because of my custom rear bumper so I have to find one with dimension that will maximize the space I have.

I'm weighing my options and trying to be as frugal as possible. I'll probably end up buying a dual filler neck because I don't have the patience/time to make one as others have. I like the simplicity of a transfer pump.

What year Tracker and how many gallons? My spare tire space is smaller than stock because of my custom rear bumper so I have to find one with dimension that will maximize the space I have.

I'm weighing my options and trying to be as frugal as possible. I'll probably end up buying a dual filler neck because I don't have the patience/time to make one as others have. I like the simplicity of a transfer pump.

not sure I ever found out what year it was but a solid guess at a '97.
more info here Builds - Beaten, built, 80 series rebuild thread starting on post #253

Looks like I already asked you this question in post #288! haha 99'. Thanks for the second reply to the same question. :rofl:
I forgot too. Oh well.:)

Resurrecting an old thread, thanks for the useful info. It all started with collecting parts to do a budget sub-tank install, well that has gone well out of hands, so far I have an oem diesel sub tank, two new mounting straps, ceiling console with compass and fuel level gauge, sub-tank oem button. Just getting my hands on a gas version (with 3 wires) level sender and suction tube. I am now being offered the oem fuel transfer pump with solenoid valve and thinking if I really need it, the idea of a new pump as you are using sounds also reasonable.

Regards from Europe. By checking the equipment spec with VIN number on toyodyi my car didnt have an oem sub tank from factory, then again in the papers I got with the car there are remarks that a 65L aux tank was fitted. There is no aux tank at the moment, but still some remains, with the biggest evidence being the main tank and a fuel tube coming out of it. I never saw a main tank with a pipe like that, which is currently blocked off. Any idea what it was used for?

im in the process of rebuilding the oem sub tank, and gathering parts for my build.

FFB940CC-7496-4F1B-A5E1-CD6C02D57D2C.jpeg

F3E64297-91ED-40D8-91EA-C35DFF79DC99.jpeg

So, the main tank has a drain pipe that used to connect to the subtank? How interesting......

Sorry if this was mentioned previously but tell us about your ride and how you acquired it or some show us a link to pics/details, if you'd!!

Looks like the OEM drain plug is fitted there. But by looking at it, it looks like a factory arrangement, or could be someones well made modification? I can only assume, because the sub tank sits higher it should drain by gravity to the main tank via this tube.

I havent shared too much details of my ride till now, but its a 1995 lhd 4.2 1hd-ft. All lockers. Very well kept and at the moment collecting parts to make it even better. Interior has been restored.

6BC8D3BD-FE6D-4052-8B4F-337F2DAE5842.jpeg

3EB3EAD4-F40A-4C47-9143-3023500C15CD.jpeg

453E63E2-0BDA-48DD-A82B-F3B8DCB54B04.jpeg

Wow, a nice specimen indeed. Congrats!!

Regards from Europe. By checking the equipment spec with VIN number on toyodyi my car didnt have an oem sub tank from factory, then again in the papers I got with the car there are remarks that a 65L aux tank was fitted. There is no aux tank at the moment, but still some remains, with the biggest evidence being the main tank and a fuel tube coming out of it. I never saw a main tank with a pipe like that, which is currently blocked off. Any idea what it was used for?

im in the process of rebuilding the oem sub tank, and gathering parts for my build.

View attachment 2611422

View attachment 2611423
Sweet ride! That pipe looks like an accident waiting to happen, though. Very exposed. At least Diesel isn't as flammable as gasoline.

It is an aftermarket gravity-feed from the sub to the main. The sub sits higher so the fuel flows into the main from the sub as the engine burns it. The net result is the fuel gauge shows full until the sub is fully drained an the main level starts to drop.

Not the best solution. If that line gets damaged both tanks empty onto the ground.

Factory OEM diesel subtanks have direct draw/return lines from the subtank to a multiway valve that the main tank also feeds to/from. That way the draw/return is done from either the main tank or the subtank, no fuel transfer occurs like in a petrol vehicle. That bottom draw line on your diesel is an aftermarket hack, 100% NOT toyota.

And, yeah, remove that hack and put back a drain plug, no need for something waiting to hit/rip out on something. Diesel may not be flammable like petrol, but it would still spoil a trip to dump it all out on the environment and then having an empty tank...

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom