Extremely high repair bill on 99 LX470. Does this look reasonable at all? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brought my 1999 LX470 into the dealership for what I thought would be minor to moderate repairs. I had moderate shake in the engine when stopped, some overheating issues when climbing high elevation, and clunky steering. The bill ended up being $9000 for a multitude of issues. I brought it in for inspection at another dealership 3 months ago for a coolant flush inspection among other minor wellness check, and they sent me off with no large issues. I know 301,000 miles is a lot, but 'm very confused how all these issues could appear now. I have been driving it in rougher areas, but nothing too ridiculous. The dealer is preparing to make an offer for it, because I can't afford the bill even if it was half the price. I'm linking the bill as well. Are any of these issues something I could ignore? Should I take it somewhere else for a second opinion?

IMG_2593.jpg

NEVER take a vehicle this old to the dealership. 90% of dealerships will do exactly this. They either don't want to work on it or they want to buy it from you CHEAP because it needs so much. They'll then spend fifty bucks on it fixing the neccessary items and sell it for 5 times what they gave you for it. You need to find either a good indy or learn to do it yourself. Every one of the prices they gave you is ridiculous. Except the tire balancing and rotation. I'd let them do that. Then go pick it up. Actually, you should call them and say "just rotate and balance the tires" just to piss them off. Go home, educate yourself on this website, fix a few issues and have fun enjoying your vehicle. By the way, as long as it's not rusty 300k isn't bad. Mine has 443k.

Nothing new to add... dealerships will just book out each job separately, when there are savings... like front brakes and axles. I'd absolutely want a second opinion on a "bent" steering rack. Go to the Clubhouse section on here and see who people in the area would bring it to... and driving a distance to the right shop is worth the expertise. good luck.

Brought my 1999 LX470 into the dealership for what I thought would be minor to moderate repairs. I had moderate shake in the engine when stopped, some overheating issues when climbing high elevation, and clunky steering. The bill ended up being $9000 for a multitude of issues. I brought it in for inspection at another dealership 3 months ago for a coolant flush inspection among other minor wellness check, and they sent me off with no large issues. I know 301,000 miles is a lot, but 'm very confused how all these issues could appear now. I have been driving it in rougher areas, but nothing too ridiculous. The dealer is preparing to make an offer for it, because I can't afford the bill even if it was half the price. I'm linking the bill as well. Are any of these issues something I could ignore? Should I take it somewhere else for a second opinion?

View attachment 3110413
Lol these prices. Whew.

Are you physically able to work on it yourself? If so, we can show you how to do all this yourself and where to buy parts for non rediculous prices.

Lol these prices. Whew.

Are you physically able to work on it yourself? If so, we can show you how to do all this yourself and where to buy parts for non rediculous prices.
I’m pretty young and clueless. When it comes to diy unfortunately. I’ve done some things myself but nothing extremely technical. Which of these issues. Other then the oil wire repair (think I can pull that off) what could I do.

Also to make things worse the loner 4 runner they gave me had an A frame bolt fly out while I was driving it… Completely broke down

Nothing new to add... dealerships will just book out each job separately, when there are savings... like front brakes and axles. I'd absolutely want a second opinion on a "bent" steering rack. Go to the Clubhouse section on here and see who people in the area would bring it to... and driving a distance to the right shop is worth the expertise. good luck.
I'm in Western WY, I've had great service on it in Belgrade MT when I lived there. Its a 4 hour drive, but it might be worth it.

I’m pretty young and clueless. When it comes to diy unfortunately. I’ve done some things myself but nothing extremely technical. Which of these issues. Other then the oil wire repair (think I can pull that off) what could I do.
You can DIY all of these things. Plenty of how to posts here and on YouTube. And you will know the job was done right!

Also to make things worse the loner 4 runner they gave me had an A frame bolt fly out while I was driving it… Completely broke down
Yeah - I won't have them work my truck for sure!

If you have an able body and are willing to learn you can do all of those, even though they probably arnt all necessary right now.

I was once young and clueless too a lifetime ago. I was never taught how do do anything with any vehicles. Every two years a new car was purchased and every 5 years a new pick up truck. Now? After a lifetime of fixing things myself, cars, trucks, Landcruisers, Volkswagens, appliances etc etc, I know I’ve easily saved upwards of $100,000. Even if you make lots of mistakes, and bust open a lot of knuckles, you’re gonna soon be a diy expert. Then, instead of paying a service person $100 plus an hour, you can feel great about yourself and pocket the cash.

That looks like a fake estimate considering that phone number is for a real Toyota dealer in Idaho. I've never been to a dealer or even a small shop that writes their estimates like that. It's also dated 2005?

That looks like a fake estimate considering that phone number is for a real Toyota dealer in Idaho. I've never been to a dealer or even a small shop that writes their estimates like that. It's also dated 2005?
Wow, looks like we had been lied to!

Lol can't imagine he's bored enough to make fake quotes just to troll us.

Not sure how else I could prove it. Don’t see how lying about this would be beneficial at all.

View attachment 3113334
You ain't got nothing to prove man. We are here to help a fellow Cruiser head, in any way we can. That 2005 date on the first pic you posted, made it look suspicious, that's all.

You have gotten pretty good advice on this thread so far, I am looking forward to see what you end up choosing to do.

I started in cruisers as a young guy knowing very little about how to work on vehicles. Armed with some good quality hand tools (you really don't need power/air tools although they are nice to have in some instances) and an FSM, there's very little you can't do if you can follow instructions.

10 years down the track, I'd rather work on my own vehicles than take somewhere, it costs much less $$$, I know that quality parts got fitted, bolts got torqued correctly and the proper procedure was followed.

I wish it wasn’t real. How else do you want me to prove it. The date is weird must be a mistake on their end.
Nothing to prove just a strange estimate. Perhaps an indication to get another opinion at the very least. For instance some lines had no tax on labor and others did ie 49.95 for tire balance then the total is 52? but no tax on diag? Maybe the guy was trying to be helpful putting it in excel? In terms of what to do: I don't know how you would have a bent steering shaft and not other parts broken along the line - the shaft alone shouldn't cause a vibration under braking. The price for pads and rotors at $800 honestly isn't bad at Toyota - if you need brakes I'd take them up on it and have them flush the brake fluid (repack front bearings is a good while you're in there) A 99 cruiser is a great vehicle to learn on/tinker with if you are able to do the work yourself and have the interest. If you have the service notes for why it needs 3 coils that would be helpful too. Same for the ABS module.. Good luck and I didn't mean to discourage you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom