Extended brake lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ry24000

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone. I bought extended brake lines and the connectors on the ends are slightly different than the original. Looks like ill have to modify the frame mount to fit the different shape of the connector. Is this what others are doing or is there a source for the proper style connector? I can't find one.

IMG_20220430_124656273.jpg

IMG_20220430_124743593_HDR.jpg

It’s irritating when they changed that. I’m wondering if you can find a snap-ring that will fit on the upper (closest to rubber) groove, and then the spring plate in the lower.(?)

I shaved the part in red down with an angle grinder and gentle touch so that it was round and would slip through the frame mount keeper. Then used the spring tension u-shaped clip on the outside notch to hold it on. Seems to be working well so far.

IMG_20220430_124656273.jpg

Which brake lines you guys using?

One of the Land Cruiser vendors sells them. Cant remember who though. I had mine made by Crown Performance. They are local to me but probably take orders over the phone. They made mine right in front of me because it blew out 2 days before Pig Party 2021. then my transmission blew out just after.

Anyway, they were able to match what I had. Maybe they can do the same for you.

Not certain if these are the lines we are discussing but this was what I used on the front axle, slid right in, after I got the damn keepers removed, rusted on fairly well:

I shaved the part in red down with an angle grinder and gentle touch so that it was round and would slip through the frame mount keeper. Then used the spring tension u-shaped clip on the outside notch to hold it on. Seems to be working well so far.

View attachment 3227755
I did the same with mine and all is well. I tried using a grinder but found better results using a hacksaw and a file while clamped in my vice. It took all of about 3 mins.

The one I bought was from SOR. They're usually not my first choice for parts due to the shipping prices, but this was small enough to choose the USPS option and it wasn't toproper
Do The SOR have the correct fittings on the ends?
Not certain if these are the lines we are discussing but this was what I used on the front axle, slid right in, after I got the damn keepers removed, rusted on fairly well:

Those have the correct fittings for sure! I just wanted the extended version for a lift.

I did the same with mine and all is well. I tried using a grinder but found better results using a hacksaw and a file while clamped in my vice. It took all of about 3 mins.
I might have to try this with the one I have. I have nothing to loose at this point. Thanks

Do The SOR have the correct fittings on the ends?
They have the proper ends on them. (other than shaving down the middle ring) I originally went with the t100 line from post 6 ‘75 Fj40 front brake soft line sanity check - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/75-fj40-front-brake-soft-line-sanity-check.1297599/, but the male threads were about 5mm too long and would bottom out in the "T". @Grease Cruiser is right, it only took about 3 minutes to "fix" it and wasn't a big deal.

Last edited:
I used the SOR ones on Marge. No issues with instal. All original clips worked etc.

One of the Land Cruiser vendors sells them. Cant remember who though. I had mine made by Crown Performance. They are local to me but probably take orders over the phone. They made mine right in front of me because it blew out 2 days before Pig Party 2021. then my transmission blew out just after.

Anyway, they were able to match what I had. Maybe they can do the same for you.

Crown made mine also, I've had no problems with the lines.

What length did you guys get? I think Ill have them make me some. Did you just get the two that drop to the axle or did you get others as well thanks?

Well, I have about a 6 inch lift and I moved the clip to a different spot on the frame. I can measure it but not sure it will be a help. I guess you take a slack measurement from the frame to the axle at resting flex. Then figure out how much droop you get and add a few inches🤷‍♂️

I think mine are @ 12". I tried doing like J Mack and make them all the same, remember each wheel (Disc brakes) and the ones coming from the frame to the axles. Don't forget the clutch line, also. My rears use a Bango fitting, so those two are different then the rest. It would be a good thing to replace all the hard lines at the same time. We had one of the group on a Pig Party get a hole in his hard line for the clutch, made a work around and got him going, but the hard lines rust out with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom