Exploring Phoenix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
Hey you Phoenix guys. The family and myself are coming down to Phoenix from Vancouver, Canada around March 22 to March 29. My 11 son is playing in a baseball tournament down there. Wondering if it's worth renting a 4x4 while down there to see the sights or should we stick with the typical rental car? Are there any must see sights? We are staying in the Glendale/Avondale area.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

If you can get a 4x4, Four Peaks (from the beeline 87 to Lake Roosevelt) and The Apache Trail are mostly graded dirt roads with spectacular views. Apache Trail can be done with a regular car but 4 Peaks needs a little more ground clearance in some sections. Tons to do and see here. Then of course, there's always the Grand Canyon which is about 4.5 to 5 hours away. Enjoy your time here.

If you can get a 4x4, Four Peaks (from the beeline 87 to Lake Roosevelt) and The Apache Trail are mostly graded dirt roads with spectacular views. Apache Trail can be done with a regular car but 4 Peaks needs a little more ground clearance in some sections. Tons to do and see here. Then of course, there's always the Grand Canyon which is about 4.5 to 5 hours away. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you. I'm still considering driving the 80 down. I can do it in 2.5 days at 10mpg :)

How much time do you have away from the tournament? If you have not seen Sedona, that is a MUST SEE. Kinda like Moab lite but, with better scenery and restaurants ;)

If you are into hiking you could always try to find the lost Dutchman’s mine

I think I've heard of that. They mistook Deutsch for Dutch.

How much time do you have away from the tournament? If you have not seen Sedona, that is a MUST SEE. Kinda like Moab lite but, with better scenery and restaurants ;)

We haven't decided yet. We are thinking 1 week in all. The tournament is 4 days. We could stretch our stay a bit. Anyone want to rent out their cruiser :)

Last edited:
Then, if you have the time, definitely hit Sedona. Crown King, the back road, can be difficult for an unlocked and stock 4x4 especially if wet. But it is an entertaining ride with great views and some nostalgia to boot. Supposedly the Viking from "Gold Rush" has a claim up there. I can't confirm it.

Sedona: Broken Arrow: JeepTrailInfo.com :: Broken Arrow Trail
Sedona: Schnebly Hill Road: JeepTrailInfo.com :: Schnebly Hill Road
Sedona: Soldiers Pass JeepTrailInfo.com :: Soldier Pass Trail

Alternately, you can take the Pink Jeep Tours through this area and not bother renting a 4x.

If you don't mind a "road trip". Out of Glendale head up to Wickenburg and then up to Prescott. From Prescott go up to Jerome (ghost town) and through the Verde Valley to Sedona. From Sedona, you can then head up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff and see the sights around there or head back down I-17 from Flag to Phoenix. Or you The trip from Glendale to Sedona can be done in 4 hours but, you will be stopping and taking in the sites along the way. In reality, it is a day trip. The scenery from Wickenburg to Sedona (and Oak Creek) is fantastic, a must see and is all paved. Combine this with the off-road areas in Sedona and I promise you, you will not be sorry for taking it!

I'm pretty sure Soldier's Pass is only open to commercial off-road tours now.

You are right, I didn't remember which trail they "closed".

Then, if you have the time, definitely hit Sedona. Crown King, the back road, can be difficult for an unlocked and stock 4x4 especially if wet. But it is an entertaining ride with great views and some nostalgia to boot. Supposedly the Viking from "Gold Rush" has a claim up there. I can't confirm it.

Sedona: Broken Arrow: JeepTrailInfo.com :: Broken Arrow Trail
Sedona: Schnebly Hill Road: JeepTrailInfo.com :: Schnebly Hill Road
Sedona: Soldiers Pass JeepTrailInfo.com :: Soldier Pass Trail

Alternately, you can take the Pink Jeep Tours through this area and not bother renting a 4x.

If you don't mind a "road trip". Out of Glendale head up to Wickenburg and then up to Prescott. From Prescott go up to Jerome (ghost town) and through the Verde Valley to Sedona. From Sedona, you can then head up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff and see the sights around there or head back down I-17 from Flag to Phoenix. Or you The trip from Glendale to Sedona can be done in 4 hours but, you will be stopping and taking in the sites along the way. In reality, it is a day trip. The scenery from Wickenburg to Sedona (and Oak Creek) is fantastic, a must see and is all paved. Combine this with the off-road areas in Sedona and I promise you, you will not be sorry for taking it!

That sounds really good. I can't sit around the same place too long so we will have to get out and drive. Thank you

Thanks for the advice so far. Looking for any additional advice.

We arrive in Phoenix March 20 and leave on the 28th. Kid's ball tournament goes until the 25th so we have booked a night in Sedona to explore. We have the 26th and 27th to explore. Still haven't rented a vehicle. Thought a standard car up to the 25th and then a 3 day rental through these guys for exploring. Sedona Jeep Rental In Phoenix. I know, Jeep but I can't find many options where insurance allows off road use. Any one have any feedback on the company above?

We hope (friends family from Vancouver as well) to do Broken Arrow Trail and Schnebly Hill Road. Do we need any park passes to be off road in Arizona?

I think if we do this again next year I may drive the 80 down.

Thank you.

Thanks for the advice so far. Looking for any additional advice.

We arrive in Phoenix March 20 and leave on the 28th. Kid's ball tournament goes until the 25th so we have booked a night in Sedona to explore. We have the 26th and 27th to explore. Still haven't rented a vehicle. Thought a standard car up to the 25th and then a 3 day rental through these guys for exploring. Sedona Jeep Rental In Phoenix. I know, Jeep but I can't find many options where insurance allows off road use. Any one have any feedback on the company above?

We hope (friends family from Vancouver as well) to do Broken Arrow Trail and Schnebly Hill Road. Do we need any park passes to be off road in Arizona?

I think if we do this again next year I may drive the 80 down.

Thank you.

Pass info in link below

Coconino National Forest - Recreation

We found out the only people Barlow's will not rent to are people from BC. We have a government run insurance program (which is $200 million in debt) and I guess they have some rules that don't work for Barlow.

Thank you for all of the advice from everyone. We had a wonderful time in Phoenix. Stayed right near I10 and the 101, about 12 minutes from the tournament ball field in Peoria. Made a couple of Mariners games as well.

The guy running the Avis desk at the airport had a Jeep upgrade for us and said we could take it off road in Sedona as long as we didn't rock crawl. My friend tried the same but every agency, including Avis, told him rental vehicles couldn't go off road. I went with my guys advice. Had a great time. Wish I had my 80 with me although the only stock Jeep on the trail did alright.

DSC07569.JPG

IMG_20180327_0845194.jpg

IMG_20180327_0930042.jpg

IMG_20180327_0946129.jpg

IMG_20180327_0957561.jpg

Thanks again for all of the advice. Hope to be back next year, maybe with my 80.

I am waay to late for this, buy anyone looking at this later might benefit: I would have used www.turo.com

It is like uber for rental cars. You borrow people's cars and there are some decent 4x4 options on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom