Exhaust muffler baffle rattle, how to fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trolling for ideas.
I've narrowed down my exhaust rattle to the baffles in the muffler coming loose. It's about 18 months old and non-OEM.
So far I have used percussive maintenance and crimped them in place by crushing the outer skin around them with a ball-peen hammer. But that's not perfect and it lasts like 3 wks.
I have wrapped a wire around the muffler skin and twisted it tight like a tourniquet to deaden the vibration, but I don't think that's doing diddly squat.

What's next? I've thought of running a tec screw through the skin and baffle, but not real keen on creating a hole through the skin.
There was contemplation about popping an 1/8" (3mm) hole through the skin in a couple places and welding the skin to the baffle, again, the hole-through-the-skin thing and the weld probably won't get through the soot that's most likely on the baffle.
POP rivet, same problem.

So..any other good ideas from the collective? BTW Turning up the radio, wearing ear protection and filling said muffler with concrete have been rejected.

I would just replace the muffler.
I have come to the same crappy conclusion. I need that $$$ for other projects. :mad:

Not mad at you, just kicking rocks.

What muffler so I don’t buy it

To tag onto this thread since OP needs a new muffler ;) what are you guys using as an OEM replacement muffler these days? I have gone from a Flowmaster (drone city) to a Dynomax (quieter but still extremely loud) and I want an OEM replacement

I have the same problem, although it’s been on the truck for a lot longer than 18 months. I took a hammer to it and that worked wonderfully for a while, but I can hear the rattle creeping back. My next step is going to be a series of rivets to hold the skin together. I would like to do the entire exhaust so I’m trying to limp this along for a bit longer.

I just replaced my factory muffler with a new OEM one. It’s a cali 80 so not rusty, but a rusty brown color from age. It’s not split or leaking. If you were local to me you could have it. I’m in Missouri.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom