Quick tin-y metallic rattle on acceleration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt Ferguson

SILVER Star
Threads
When I accelerate I am hearing a tinny metallic rattle coming from underneath the LX on the PS. I have read a few other threads and I've checked all the heat shields on the exhaust upstream from the cats, and the shields bolted to the bottom of the body. Everything is secure without any movement.

If I accelerate very gradually, there's no rattle whatsoever, but if I step on it a little bit, I get the rattle for about 1.5 sec after pressing on the skinny pedal.

Looking for other places to check. Any ideas?

Have you made sure your exhaust hanger rubber bushing are intact? I had a similar issue that caused the exhaust to shift under acceleration and the drive shaft would rub on the driveline for a quick second.

When I accelerate I am hearing a tinny metallic rattle coming from underneath the LX on the PS. I have read a few other threads and I've checked all the heat shields on the exhaust upstream from the cats, and the shields bolted to the bottom of the body. Everything is secure without any movement.

If I accelerate very gradually, there's no rattle whatsoever, but if I step on it a little bit, I get the rattle for about 1.5 sec after pressing on the skinny pedal.

Looking for other places to check. Any ideas?
How about your engine mounts? Have they ever been replaced? They may be flexing enough that the Shields are hitting.

Have you made sure your exhaust hanger rubber bushing are intact? I had a similar issue that caused the exhaust to shift under acceleration and the drive shaft would rub on the driveline for a quick second.

How about your engine mounts? Have they ever been replaced? They may be flexing enough that the Shields are hitting.

Thanks guys, both good places to check.

@BILT4ME the engine mounts have not been replaced to my knowledge. I have owned the LX for the last 2.5 years.

Is the noise a rattle like something loose/vibrating or a pinging from the engine?

Is the noise a rattle like something loose/vibrating or a pinging from the engine?

It's definitely more of a loose metallic rattle. I'll get a video of the sound in the coming days and post it up.

Go underneath and smack the converter with your hand. You may have the converter material failing and its vibrating around under certain engine harmonics.

Thanks, this is something that I was actually considering! I will give it a shot.

exhaust heat shields are a common source of the noise you are describing. Get under the truck and start pushing and yanking on things to see if there are any rattles.

exhaust heat shields are a common source of the noise you are describing. Get under the truck and start pushing and yanking on things to see if there are any rattles.

That's what I've been doing so far, and everything seems tight. Thanks for all your YT videos! @NKP Garage

That's what I've been doing so far, and everything seems tight. Thanks for all your YT videos! @NKP Garage
For sure, glad the videos are helpful sometimes :)

From your description it doesn't sound like it would be the issues below, but still worth a check:
* Front and rear drive shafts
* Brake shields at each of the 4 corners
* Do you have OEM running boards still? Check the brackets, never seen one loose, but its possible

Does it also do it if you are in P or N and just rev the motor? Or only while moving?

For sure, glad the videos are helpful sometimes :)

From your description it doesn't sound like it would be the issues below, but still worth a check:
* Front and rear drive shafts
* Brake shields at each of the 4 corners
* Do you have OEM running boards still? Check the brackets, never seen one loose, but its possible

Does it also do it if you are in P or N and just rev the motor? Or only while moving?

No running boards. Good question about being in P or N. I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot tonight and also have my wife drive it so I can film the sound (watch, it won't happen......) Thanks!

Check your muffler for a shiny spot near the drive shaft..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom