Exhaust manifold removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

This is my first post as a 2013 LandCruiser 200 4.5diesel owner. I was terribly dissapointed by my previous car, a 2012 Land Rover Discovery 4 which had 3 catastrophic engine failures so I decided to switch to a more reliable car. This was the original idea.

After I bought the car in Germany with around 230.000 km on it, it seemed ok. It drove fine, only the consumption was a bit high, at around 17L/100km. After I brought it home, the trouble started: a message "DPF full, see owners manual" appeared so I tried to conduct an active regeneration which failed after approx. 1 hour (timeout). I started by stripping the exhaust off the car; 1 DPF (left / driver side) has melted, and the catalyst was full also so I got a new one + cleaned the catalyst. Since there was a reason this has happened, I started digging deeper into the engine: a full intake clean along with injector cleaning and check was in order. Found a sealing washer on one of the injectors was missing, so I thought I found the reason for the full DPF and the consumption. After the job was done, the car still wouldn't finish the active regeneration (again timeout), but this time with clean DPFs and catalysts. Hmmmm...

Stripped the engine again, this time looking for the 2 "5th injectors", since this seemed to be an additional problem (exhaust temperature wouldn't rise above 400-450 degrees) and removed them. Now I'm stuck, I don't know how to clean those canals; both are clogged with carbon. The canal is "L" shaped and in a terrible place, using wire just won't do it. One idea would be to remove the exhaust manifold but I don't know if it's possible while the engine is in the car? Has anybody got experience with in-car removal? Or how to clean those in-head canals?

Thank you!

Sasha

Hi all,

This is my first post as a 2013 LandCruiser 200 4.5diesel owner. I was terribly dissapointed by my previous car, a 2012 Land Rover Discovery 4 which had 3 catastrophic engine failures so I decided to switch to a more reliable car. This was the original idea.

After I bought the car in Germany with around 230.000 km on it, it seemed ok. It drove fine, only the consumption was a bit high, at around 17L/100km. After I brought it home, the trouble started: a message "DPF full, see owners manual" appeared so I tried to conduct an active regeneration which failed after approx. 1 hour (timeout). I started by stripping the exhaust off the car; 1 DPF (left / driver side) has melted, and the catalyst was full also so I got a new one + cleaned the catalyst. Since there was a reason this has happened, I started digging deeper into the engine: a full intake clean along with injector cleaning and check was in order. Found a sealing washer on one of the injectors was missing, so I thought I found the reason for the full DPF and the consumption. After the job was done, the car still wouldn't finish the active regeneration (again timeout), but this time with clean DPFs and catalysts. Hmmmm...

Stripped the engine again, this time looking for the 2 "5th injectors", since this seemed to be an additional problem (exhaust temperature wouldn't rise above 400-450 degrees) and removed them. Now I'm stuck, I don't know how to clean those canals; both are clogged with carbon. The canal is "L" shaped and in a terrible place, using wire just won't do it. One idea would be to remove the exhaust manifold but I don't know if it's possible while the engine is in the car? Has anybody got experience with in-car removal? Or how to clean those in-head canals?

Thank you!

Sasha
Hi have the same problem with my Landcruiser VDJ200 65 plate. Local Toyota garage clueless !! was told they only have "Techs" not "Master Techs" so just follow instructions from a flow chart on the computer and change parts. I logged onto TechDoc and repair instructions lists engine removal to get manifold off completely but there is a Tech bulletin where they remove exhaust Cat , drop Turbo and manifold a bit to get some access then Walnut blast the carbon out of the injector port , Bulletin number EG-0108T-0814 Gonna give this a try Did you get yours fixed ? Mark

Attachments

• Toyota regen injector port clean.pdf
    448.7 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom