Intake manifold removal trick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
Over the years I've seen a number of posts from people talking about difficulty getting the intake manifold off due to some harness retainers on the back of it. I had my manifold off yesterday to replace the foam blocks and figured I'd get some pictures of the issue to help people prepare.

If you are taking the manifold off in the first place I'm assuming you have some base level of mechanical ability, and really most of it is not difficult at all, so I'll leave the basics out. This is just for the annoying clips.

The two gray retainers on the harness here

IMG_0518.JPG

Attach to the two metal clips on the lower rear of the manifold here

IMG_0517.JPG

They are held on with a small tab on the bottom of the retainer, and once you know what to go for it's not too difficult. I'm just able to get it with the tip of my middle finger, then use other fingers to pull the retainer back off the metal tab. I flipped the retainer upside down in the following photo to show the tab

IMG_0516.JPG

Again, that one has the part upside down to show what's going on. It'll be blind but just push the retainer forward, pull the small middle tab downward, then pull it all back, and it should come right off.

Any questions, let me know.

Tech tips like this are awesome and super helpful. I generally find that what takes me the most time when taking things apart is clips like this or harness connector plugs that I don't understand how to make release. Thanks!

Even with the manifold removed, those secondary air injection pumps still look like an absolute PITA to replace.

Thanks for the photos!

Thanks for your post - do you have the part #s for the foam under the manifold?

Under manifold
Front 12612-38010
Rear 12611-38010

Technically at the sides, but just to get it all in one place
Passenger side 12613-38010
Driver's side 12601-38020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom