Exhaust manifold egr port bolt issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently putting together a good intake and exhaust for my 40 in prep for a efi upgrade. But I got to the egr port and the bolt holes are really bad and I'm unsure how to fix them. I really don't want to replace the horn or even take them off. So I got to fix the issues.
20230826_011634.jpg

I'd say if that piece isn't replaceable, it's time for a new manifold.

I'd say if that piece isn't replaceable, it's time for a new manifold.
The only way I can think of is to weld up the holes and redrill the holes and tap them or put thread serts. But this is cast iron and could cause some issues with cracking if I don't prep the metal right.

Cast iron is not the easiest material to weld and requires specific technique to do right.

Little hole on right.
Drill it out with a slight shoulder and tap it. Screw in a fitted shouldered stud. Best if its a really tight fit ( use the adjustment screw in your die to cut an oversize thread). Do a practice hole in some scrap. Now locate the position for the correct bolt hole - center punch and drill; tap if it needs threads.

Big hole. Lots more material to work with then the little hole. Insert or make an oversize unit as for the little hole.

Those stainless steel locking inserts would be my choice.

or you could open the holes and sleeve them; better than an insert in an oval hole...

You can plug a crooked hole, a little more work to grind the surfaces flat after the longer plug is installed. Then you can drill it out straight.

You can plug a crooked hole, a little more work to grind the surfaces flat after the longer plug is installed. Then you can drill it out straight.
Good point. That's what I was thinking if I got some steel rod about the right size and hopefully I'll find a size that will fit tight enough to just friction fit in place. Then use the gasket to center punch and make me a plate out of 1/4 in plate or I can buy one of the kits with a plate. But since I already have the $20 gasket I'll probably just make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom