Exhaust fumes in the cab..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
The weather was beautiful this morning when I took my 1987 for a ride. Since the weather was a bit cool I opened the window (drivers front window only) instead of using the A/C like I usually do. What I quickly noticed was that I was getting exhaust fumes in the cab, not an overwhelming amount but enough to be annoying. After a bit of time with just the drivers front window opened, I opened the pass side front window a small amount, and the smell almost totally went away. I assume that the drivers window is creating some type of vacuum. I don't "think" that my manifold or down pipe are leaking.
Has anyone else ever experienced this issue? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks,
Zack

I had the same issue a few years ago. I had a leak in the muffler.

From the cat back it is a new"ish" Toyota exhaust system. I know the muffler and tail pipe are totally solid.

From the cat back it is a new"ish" Toyota exhaust system. I know the muffler and tail pipe are totally solid.

I had that issue with a Honda Odyssey, it turned out that I had a crack on the lower side of my exhaust manifold. I replaced it and all is good again. Might be worth a look.

I had an exhaust leak that I smelled from the cab for a long time. Finally found it at the air injection manifold between the carb and the valve cover. One of the smaller down pipes going to the head had a pea sized hole.

Cracking one front window creates a vacuum. The exhaust is probably coming in from the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car. There's a lot of vacuum there too in the slip stream (no exhaust leak). The flapper valves on the rear vents on the D-pillat are probably shot.

Open the ventilation slider in the dash to Fresh and turn the fan on to offset the vacuum...and crack open the L passenger window too.

I had an exhaust leak that I smelled from the cab for a long time. Finally found it at the air injection manifold between the carb and the valve cover. One of the smaller down pipes going to the head had a pea sized hole.

I am desmogged, do I still have that hose?

Cracking one front window creates a vacuum. The exhaust is probably coming in from the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car. There's a lot of vacuum there too in the slip stream (no exhaust leak). The flapper valves on the rear vents on the D-pillat are probably shot.

Open the ventilation slider in the dash to Fresh and turn the fan on to offset the vacuum...and crack open the L passenger window too.

I did have the vent set to recirc, I will try the fresh setting tomorrow. I did replace the flapper vents a few years ago, they "should" be good. I will report back and let you know if any change happened.

Thank you everyone!

If you're desmogged then you prob have the holes plugged and no air manifold. If the manifold is there and plugged it wouldn't have any exhaust in it.

In the morning when the exhaust is cold you can start your car and get underneath and put your hand close to the pipes and feel for air pushing out. Feel around the exhaust manifold to exhaust flange, and other joints in the pipes. You'll have a minute or two before things get too hot.

I have the exact same issue: exhaust fumes in the cab with the driver window down. My cat is cooked & rattles likes rocks in a hubcap. Gotta think that may be part if my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom