Engine swap'tions in an FJ45 LWB. (other than SBC please.) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
What are some of the best engine swaps? 3FE? Deisel? 4L V-6?

1) I want daily driver comfort. (Too old to go 4wheeling anymore. well, I've just lost interest. So there's that.)
2) I want plenty of power, not tons of it. Nice and quiet. Most anything will be lighter than an original F/2F. Better gas mileage would be a plus.
3) Automatic or 5 speed, I could go either way.
4) This is for the 45 I owned 20 years ago and bought it back. I want a daily, strong, decent gas mileage truck I can trust and drive for decades.
5) You can't insult me. So fire away.
6) I have plenty of time to make any decisions.

This should be a fun discussion!

5) You can't insult me. So fire away.

OK, here goes:
You're ugly, and your mother dresses you funny.
:flipoff2:

But seriously, a 3FE is just as heavy as an F/2F and you gain some revs and have EFI but you won't gain much more power or gas mileage. Just as well add a Holley Sniper to an existing F/2F as make a 3FE swap.

You didn't mention a budget; if money were no object I think the Cummins R2.8 turbo diesel would be nearly ideal - light(er) weight, more torque and hp, more likely to get better mileage. But the cost is up there, and there's still a lot of fab to put one in a 40 Series.

IMHO, R2.8 isn't enough engine for a cruiser. I vote for 12HT/1HD-#

A 1HD-T/H55f would be really cool. Or, for something different, a Mercedes OM606 with a mechanical pump.

Also, your Mother was a hamster and your Father smelt of elderberries.
:rofl: You win!

Budget isn't loaded but I'm considering selling two vehicles to pull this off. No details on that here.

I realize the 3FE isn't much of a change. So that's probably not what I want. Again, anything close to a Chevy V8 is out. I just this past spring lost a great friend that would turn over in his grave if I used one. He was my client first, friend second, and mentor third. Taught me everything I know about cars. I new him for nearly 40 years. He was a true icon from the original hot rod era in Detroit. So out of respect for him, (he hated Chevys) I won't put one in. He originally got me a crate motor V10 Dodge engine for this truck 20 years ago. My thread about this truck is linked below. The first page explains that.

Last edited:
If this helps any...

I'd really actually like the engine right out of my '12 Tacoma. 256hp, get's a consistent 22mpg, and runs like a scalded dog. Would probably push a 45 just fine. Issue is the diver's side offset transfer and center rear shaft. Sounds like that ides is out the window now that I finally looked under the truck.

I will say, since I'm removing the original engine (That was actually done about 35 year ago. It had a 327 when I bought it.) I guess I can't say I'm overly concerned with it being 4wd. Like I said, it'll simply be a very nice looking, nice driving Cruiser for me to enjoy for 10 or 20 years.

With the advent of the Holly Sniper and the built 2F there is nothing out there I would want.
I’m likely pushing up around 200 hp. It fits. It works. It’s fun.
It’s not cheap though. Done right it’s going to make most people konk their head and say “I could have had a V8!!”

Diesels smell bad so that may be perfect for you :)

Ok, at the outset, you are far too old and incompetent to be starting a project like this:rofl:

If you are so dead set against GM engines, and refuse to go electric, I recommend consideration of the Toyota 4.0L GR-FE V6. Just do not succumb to the diesel nerds.
Do that and come out west for a comp with my LQ4-powered FJ45:beer: I am far too old and incompetent to come east to grovel at your hallowed footsteps.

Use the Toyota 4.0, Get some Diamond axle housings, driver drop front and centered rear with Mini-truck/tacoma shafts. All Toyota!

You guys are too fun. I said what I said assuming you would bark against my not staying with a Toyota in line 6. This has been much more fun.

Use the Toyota 4.0, Get some Diamond axle housings, driver drop front and centered rear with Mini-truck/tacoma shafts. All Toyota!

That interests my original dream. How tough are the axles to bolt up under the 45 frame? How much? Got a link for that?

You guys are too fun. I said what I said assuming you would bark against my not staying with a Toyota in line 6. This has been much more fun.

That interests my original dream. How tough are the axles to bolt up under the 45 frame? How much? Got a link for that?

Move along... you won’t like the price it custom axles

Seems like you are getting what you asked for on opinions. Please read a Landcruiser resto site who is testing the Cummins 2.8. It is better than the others.

Cummins conv.PNG

Yeah put that Cummins is ten thousand dollars bare. I would think you would be $15,000 in one of those with hard conversion parts and a bellhousing before you blinked.

plus pay a shop (not in Rainman’s case but others) to install it?

But hey, you will get 30 mpg.....

I stopped reading at:
Cummins 2.8 AND transmission swap will start at about $40,000, parts and labor.

NEXT!

Yeah put that Cummins is ten thousand dollars bare. I would think you would be $15,000 in one of those with hard conversion parts and a bellhousing before you blinked.

plus pay a shop (not in Rainman’s case but others) to install it?

But hey, you will get 30 mpg.....

Well, you are close but not exact. This Cummins will last 100s of thousands of miles and comes with most items for a conversion. And , yes, if you farm out the conversion it will cost but so does any conversion. If you buy used gas engines and go that way, the future is exactly as expected.

cummins price.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom