Engine support when pulling trans/TC FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Leaving the exhaust connected will help to keep the engine from leaning backwards. Assuming your exhaust is supported by the normal exhaust brackets. The trans/tc will clear the exhaust in it's stock form when dropping it down. When I spoke with Georg at Valley Hybrids he said he does NOT normally disconnect the exhaust.

when I rebuilt my t/c I did as the FSM steps suggested and disconnected the exhaust. My engine leaned back but didn't break the motor mounts. I had no other temporary support in place.

I think the reason the FSM wants you to disconnect the exhaust at the manifold is to keep any undo pressure from the weight of the engine deforming the flange or somehow breaking the seal of the donut gasket. I'm pretty sure that the exhaust if left in place will help support the rearward lean of the motor and if you're not too rough or jerky with the removal and install of the trans/tc that the gasket seal there will be fine.

mechanical adjustable jack. Cause when you put it back together that 'angle' of alignment is important.
It's a m**therf***er to get them straight back together sometimes. So you want to be able make SAFE adjustments
as you go about pushing, shoving sweating and swearing at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom