Pulling A/C housing on FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all -
I'm looking for the definitive instructions (hopefully video) on pulling the a/c evaporator/expansion valve housing from under the dash, on a '86 FJ60.
I'm replacing all of the A/C components and converting to R134a.
I have new Denso components :
Compressor 471-0204
Evap core 476-0072
Expansion valve 475-2006
Rec'r/dryer 478-0101

I was told all this is compatible with R134a.
I don't know about the volume (weight?) of refrigerant, but I read the pressures are supposed to be 240 psi high side, and 29 psi low side.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

I just had my a/c done by a pro here in San Francisco last week. He knows the land cruisers and older toyotas really well.
I had the same idea as you. I was going to our have everything new since I really hadn't had a/c in over 15 years. To make a long story short he had me buy just a dryer because of the service life. Everything else is bone stock and I mean even the hoses, evaporator, condensor etc..
He evacuated was was inside which was almost nothing and reinstalled some new oil and r134 to test. He didn't bring nitrogen I believe due to leaving it on his commercial building project.
Well, the system held up fine and he removed it once more and that's when the new dryer went on. I installed it while he did his mixing of oil. He said that out system is actually not to big. He has how to videos on YouTube and hopefully he uploads them in the upcoming days on the work performed on my 60

20230806_072958.jpg

20230731_185536.jpg

20230731_181000.jpg

To remove the ac box and blower is pretty straight forward. Remove glove box door and glove box insert for better access start with the blower section then the ac box take pictures of bolt locations and wire plugs also the cables going to flapper doors.

Is my new (reman'd) Denso compressor (471-0204) going to be pre-charged with mineral oil? Or are they shipped clean and dry. If they come charged with min oil, won't I have to flush and recharge with PAG?

Yes, it will have mineral oil in it. I believe some people leave it in there but I drained it from mine.. You do need to add PAG oil, though I cannot remember the correct amount.

To remove the ac box and blower is pretty straight forward. Remove glove box door and glove box insert for better access start with the blower section then the ac box take pictures of bolt locations and wire plugs also the cables going to flapper doors.
Does the assembly come out the bottom of the dash ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom