Engine Overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another rebuild quandary. I have been systematically replacing all the small things associated with the cooling system i.e. heater hoses in all forms, new rad cap, and thermostat, to eliminate a pesky overheating issue. Because I anticipate a greater effort to fix the problem, i have on hand a new fan clutch, water pump, and complete thermostat housing which will be installed once all the angels stop crying.

So far i have noticed that the current thermostat housing has a minor leak around the bolts and the rig slowly creeps to the point it reaches the goal line of overheating. Could this minor leak of the thermostat housing be the cause of the overheating? Or should i be preparing myself, mentally and monetarily, for a head gasket replacement?

Furthermore, if anyone has for sale one of those magic wands that fixes things. DM me!

How do you know it’s overheating?

The leak will only contribute to overheating if the fluid level drops like a litre or so.
Why do you say head gasket? It might just need a new fan and a cleanout
Blow head gaskets are super common in Fairbanks. Atleast that what all the lil birdies chirping in my ear are saying.

So you say possible replace the fan? What do mean by clean out?

I am going off of the dummy gauge on the instrument panel.

so the dash gages are notoriously inaccurate. I would get a laser temp gage and actually check the temperatures first.

Start with the easy stuff. Is your overflow reservoir filling up? Have you replaced your radiator cap? Is your thermostat opening and closing? Does your fan roar when you first start driving and then quiet down?

flush the radiator engine etc. Fan clutch is important. If it's not roaring on and off it's no good. [you should be able to hear it]
Thermostat is important too.
Right on. I have flushed the coolant and have a new fan clutch on standby for install this weekend. There seems to be very little resistance with the fan clutch, unlike the new one. I have not paid attention to the roaring of the fan. If it roars then its good?

Start with the easy stuff. Is your overflow reservoir filling up? Have you replaced your radiator cap? Is your thermostat opening and closing? Does your fan roar when you first start driving and then quiet down?
Ooo good call. I will check to see if the reservoir has any action happening. As far as the thermostat, It remains uninstalled since i last flushed the coolant.

No t-stat will make it run hotter believe it or not

agreed 100%. Why you may ask? Because without the t stat the coolant basically doesn’t spend enough time in the radiator to shed engine heat.

agreed 100%. Why you may ask? Because without the t stat the coolant basically doesn’t spend enough time in the radiator to shed engine heat.
That totally makes sense, the coolant needs to absorb heat and can't free flow through the system.

Make sure when you install the thermostat that you put the rubber gasket in that sits on top of the thermostat.

You guys bring up many good things to check before my monkey brain makes another expensive purchase. Thank you for your guidance and wisdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom