HJ60 Overhaul, rebuild and engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I am the proud owner of a 1984 HJ60 equipped with a 2H engine. As many of you might be aware, it's on the slower side. However, I plan on making this my lifelong car and envision undertaking a full restoration to transform it into a ski-van/doomsday vehicle. Below are some rough ideas on the modifications I'm interested in, and I'm open to hiring a professional in the UK to execute these plans:

1. Three-Day Camper Conversion:
    • I am aiming to install beds in the back atop shelves/storage compartments for skis and cooking equipment, along with a modest water tank.
    • Insulation is a priority as I live in Norway and plan on utilizing the vehicle for winter outdoor stays.
  2. Body and Suspension Overhaul:
    • The body currently has some rust spots that need attention and repairs.
    • A suspension upgrade is definitely on the cards to accommodate the modifications listed below.
  3. Engine Swap:
    • I am targeting an engine with around 200 horsepower, preferably diesel, and something that’s readily available here in Norway.
    • So far, my research has led me to two engines: the M57 from BMW and the HD-FTE. I am open to any other suggestions that might suit my needs better.
With these modifications in mind, I am willing to pay a shop in the UK for the work. Any recommendations on where to start or any shops you've had positive experiences with would be greatly appreciated. as well as some idea of what a project like this would run.

I'll be including some pictures of my HJ60 to give you a better idea of its current state and the vision I have for it.
891_1917939452.jpg

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your suggestions and insights
891_1461201139.jpg
891_415183579.jpg

Looks great! Not sure what your comfort level is with wrenching yourself but suspension work and interior build out are certainly great things you can DIY and learn a lot along the way (and save a little money)

In terms of engines, staying with toyota makes it easier as you dont need any special adapters or one-off parts but parts can be challenging to find if the engine was not OE in your country. Any engine can be installed - just a matter of how much money you want to throw at it....

Do they salt the roads in winter or do you use studded tires? If salt, then you will want to make sure it is all rust-proofed with inhibiting oils inside and out.

For interior space I ripped out the factory headliner since this takes away an inch of head height, which could be the difference between hitting your head or not. I'll replace it with 1/8" headliner which I currently have on order. The factory headliner does have some fibremat stuff above it stuck to the roof but it I'm not sure if that is good enough for you.

Cost for me to do my own work so far is about $10k (probably more :rolleyes:) for all the parts and tools including some unique modifications; you can spend a lot of money on these. I got new axles whcih is most of that cost. I still have a lot more to do. Axle and drivetrain rebuilds are expensive; it all depends on the extent of restoration you are interested in. Body-off-frame will be expensive but you will be able to address all the rust. Even if you keep the body on I'm guessing you will want a new coat of paint. I'm just going to use $300 in rattle cans to paint mine.

I would estimate anywhere from $20k to $100k for the restoration depending on how much you want done. Then add in a new motor, purchase and install.

Edit: from your photos your interior looks good so a restoration might not involve as much work as some. But if there's visible rust on the body then there's a good chance there's a lot more underneath.

You want a doomsday vehicle.. but you're going to remove the 2H?

The 2H is the ULTIMATE doomsday engine.

You want a doomsday vehicle.. but you're going to remove the 2H?

The 2H is the ULTIMATE doomsday engine.
I just saw you on another thread and it reminded me of this. as per now im sticking with the 2H and just putting a turbo on it, might rebuild my spare engine before i do that, but we'll see. thinking C26, GT2580RS or TD05 20G, might do it on my stock engine as it seems to be in pretty good condition, do people put intercoolers on these?

thank you for the help so far guys, ill keep you updated. my mechanic called me from my MOT and told me to never sell it as its rust free and in fantastic nick. said hed hurt me if id moved it on and he hadnt been offered it first.

Do they salt the roads in winter or do you use studded tires? If salt, then you will want to make sure it is all rust-proofed with inhibiting oils inside and out.

For interior space I ripped out the factory headliner since this takes away an inch of head height, which could be the difference between hitting your head or not. I'll replace it with 1/8" headliner which I currently have on order. The factory headliner does have some fibremat stuff above it stuck to the roof but it I'm not sure if that is good enough for you.

Cost for me to do my own work so far is about $10k (probably more :rolleyes:) for all the parts and tools including some unique modifications; you can spend a lot of money on these. I got new axles whcih is most of that cost. I still have a lot more to do. Axle and drivetrain rebuilds are expensive; it all depends on the extent of restoration you are interested in. Body-off-frame will be expensive but you will be able to address all the rust. Even if you keep the body on I'm guessing you will want a new coat of paint. I'm just going to use $300 in rattle cans to paint mine.

I would estimate anywhere from $20k to $100k for the restoration depending on how much you want done. Then add in a new motor, purchase and install.

Edit: from your photos your interior looks good so a restoration might not involve as much work as some. But if there's visible rust on the body then there's a good chance there's a lot more underneath.
They salt the roads like its going out of fashion here, AND we use studded tyres. it s currently rust free and i plan on keeping it that way but sealing it with sheep oil or tectyl, as well as a membership at the local car wash.

taking the liner out is an option, what did you end up buying?
i have a spare set of axles i plan on refurbing and putting air lockers on for winter time. rust wise it looks pretty good at this stage, so will do a bit of the repairs myself, slap a turbo on it and call it good for the next few years while i figure out if spending the 50K on it is worth it or not....

They salt the roads like its going out of fashion here, AND we use studded tyres. it s currently rust free and i plan on keeping it that way but sealing it with sheep oil or tectyl, as well as a membership at the local car wash.

taking the liner out is an option, what did you end up buying?
i have a spare set of axles i plan on refurbing and putting air lockers on for winter time. rust wise it looks pretty good at this stage, so will do a bit of the repairs myself, slap a turbo on it and call it good for the next few years while i figure out if spending the 50K on it is worth it or not....
I wouldn't take out the headliner if it's in good shape. The 60 series have pretty good headroom. Maybe with new seat foam your head is close to hitting?
Rather than insulate the body, which will provide minimal benefit for heat retention, perhaps you could get a heater that exhausts out an open window for winter camping.

I wouldn't take out the headliner if it's in good shape. The 60 series have pretty good headroom. Maybe with new seat foam your head is close to hitting?
Rather than insulate the body, which will provide minimal benefit for heat retention, perhaps you could get a heater that exhausts out an open window for winter camping.
the liner will help if i build a bed in the back, its in good nick. honestly the car is pretty mint as it is. planning a webasto heater, and a way to cover up the windows at night time to retain that heat

What about a 12ht as an upgrade? Would be a direct swap, they share similar parts.

my mechanic called me from my MOT and told me to never sell it as its rust free and in fantastic nick. said hed hurt me if id moved it on and he hadnt been offered it first.
@Chemtrails , i'd hurt you too if i was your wrench n didn't get first right of refusal :hillbilly: that is a fine looking piece.
just a quick caveat re: lockers in winter, you lose traction in one direction, you've lost traction in every direction. meaning if locked axle breaks traction you're more apt to lose some directional control. lockers are great, just gotta be aware of their quirks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom