Coolant Question / Overheating Idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Crew!

I know this has been answered many times but I wanted to resurface this issue with a few questions.

Problem: Overheating while idle. Fluctuates from below middle line to above middle line.

She has a completely new cooling system as of a few months ago with the exception of a fan clutch.

I tested the fan clutch. All good. Great tension hot and cold.

I ran a thorough combustion test on the head gasket. Liquid stays blue. (phew)

Now I am back to trouble shooting. I did notice these hoses pinching (attached photo) but they've been like this since I got the truck last year.

Anyways, I'll keep reading other forums as I know this topic has been covered over and over again and start trouble shooting the recently replaced items. In the meantime any feedback would be awesome.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 6.33.21 PM.png

Before working too much about it, I would verify the actual temps with an IR gun.

X2 on making sure of the actual temp
when the temp is high, is the fan clutch locked up?
those 2 hoses should be formed hose, looks like that hose is just bent length of hose, those 2 hoses just go to the throttle body
was it burped to get all the air out of the system?

Last edited:
Today it was 104 in Dallas. 1987 fj60 sat idling waiting for my daughter.sat 30 minutes in the sun. Ac blew cold car temp barely above 1/2 way on gauge. New rad,old fan clutch red unit 10,000 oil. It can be accomplished. I figure that would be the longest I would sit in a traffic jam.

I'm not much of a fan of engine "additives", but Water Wetter dropped my engine temps significantly.

Hey Guys! Following up here. In my trouble shooting I decided to just do a radiator / coolant clean and flush. Did not expect that to be the solution but now my temps are running great and back to normal! So maybe it just needed burped. I bought a temp reader so I'll make sure to read the temp John if it becomes an issue again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom