Engine knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1997 FZFE developed a knock last Friday on my way home from work. The odd thing to me is that it did not have any audible precursors (at least none that I picked up on). The truck lost power three times within a mile of the house. The knock now starts at initial start up and is very obvious, but, within a few seconds it gets quieter and only a slight ticking noise is noticeable - which appears to be coming from the bottom end of the motor.

I’m planning on sending off an oil analysis, but, I had a friend who is pretty knowledgable on engines take a look and he felt pretty confident it is a rod bearing.

If I can figure out the file attachments on here I’ll add a video for the audible reference.

It has 257k on what I believe to be the original motor. It has a leak from either the front main seal, timing chain cover, or both. I Was planning on diving into changing those but with it being my daily driver and no back up I hadn’t had the time yet. Oil changes were done on regular intervals. After reading on here about folks running T6 rotella I recently switched over to it (2k ago) and this seemed to slow the leak from the front seals.

I Don’t know if I should just cut my losses and sell as is or try to do an engine refurb, engine swap, etc.

I have the space to do the work but lack the knowledge and time (unless I find another daily driver while the project is underway)..then it becomes a learn as you go project.

Swapping out with a “new” FZFE seems the most economical (other than parking it and never touching it again haha) but if I have to replace the motor then it seems like a shame to pass up an opportunity to put something else in it with a little more power (if I can afford it)

What would you all do?

I'm partial to homogeny, thus recommend keeping a 1FZ in place.
Tho a swap certainly has its perks. The thought is that down the road...say 3 years or so, should an issue arise it may be difficult to remember what was done to make a swap work. They aren't exactly turnkey yet.
Wherein t-shooting another 1FZ would be (should be?) straightforward.
Lots of pros and cons either way, with the biggest argument for a swap being an increase in power (and maybe mpg)... a fresh 1FZ will get you anywhere the tired one has done so far.

Rebuild isn’t difficult and you should be able to follow the FSM and some YouTube’s. Rebuilding is a good way to learn everything about it and how it’s put together.

I considered a swap but just wasn’t worth it to me so went with a new OEM engine.

You can always put it a donor or purchase another 80 but no guarantee on how long it will last.

Block Assy, short #11400-66041

Harbor freight engine stand #59201 x 2
HF 2- ton shop crane #58755
HF load leveler #60659
Two blocks on engine stands side by side. Swap all the usable ancillaries from old to new block. Machine the head and go nuts on as many "while you are in there" items as your pocketbook will allow. Easy peasy. Enjoy another 300k miles.

Most recent posts have agreed that you can buy a new short block from Toyota for less that the cost of replacement parts and machine shop/mechanic labor. Make real sure you need to do it before you do though. It's not beer money.

Toyota, but long blocks are long gone.

Looks like $7k

Only $6k if you return the old motor! This engine for sale won’t work for him as he has a 97 and this is a 94. But I do have one on the stand getting ready for a rebuild.

C06749F1-CDD2-4873-BAEB-32BD58B6D6E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Most recent posts have agreed that you can buy a new short block from Toyota for less that the cost of replacement parts and machine shop/mechanic labor. Make real sure you need to do it before you do though. It's not beer money.
Received the oil analysis results (shown below). I have no knowledge or experience with oil analyses but the comments sections describes elevated levels of aluminum, steal, and tin.

ACE76390-877B-4573-897F-4EE854A434EA.jpeg

I vote for locating a good running 1FZFE and swapping it in, since it's your daily and you can't have it down for an extended period. Engine upgrades are cool and all, but the 1FZFE is a good engine and there's a lot to be said for keeping all the little bits and brackets the way Toyota designed it, and the 1FZFE works great, it's just slow. A rebuild sounds like a long project, but a straight swap sounds like something you could hammer out in a couple weekends and get back on the road.

I vote for locating a good running 1FZFE and swapping it in, since it's your daily and you can't have it down for an extended period. Engine upgrades are cool and all, but the 1FZFE is a good engine and there's a lot to be said for keeping all the little bits and brackets the way Toyota designed it, and the 1FZFE works great, it's just slow. A rebuild sounds like a long project, but a straight swap sounds like something you could hammer out in a couple weekends and get back on the road.

I am leaning much harder towards a swap out of a lower mileage 1FZFE, finding a rebuilt 1FZFE to swap it out with (believe I saw someone selling rebuilt long blocks on here), or attempting to rebuild it myself.

If I can find an el cheapo daily driver in the interim then that will make the process much more manageable as there won’t be as big of a time crunch to get back on the road as quickly.

If you're going to attempt a rebuild, best get it off the road asap to avoid more wear from metals circulating in the oil and potentially save the crankshaft if it's a spun bearing.

It hasn’t moved since the day the knock started.
A rebuild is a satisfying project. Nothing cooler than turning the key and firing it up the first time.
But, you should be honest with yourself about your budget, time available to work on it, and balance that against your honest appraisal of your future use case.
Expect it to cost more, and take longer than you think. Not to scare you. It's just being realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom