Engine check diag. 97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, since everything in life snowballs...

My wifey-poo was rallying the rig around the mall yesterday when the engine check light lit. Having been warned (ok, threatened) about driving with the oil light lit, she hastily shut it down and rang me at home (good girl). I went and met her at the local watering hole and contemplated over a couple of beers and a pizza...

Now I'm looking through my FSM and although I thought I could pull codes by jumping the diagnostic connecter, I can't find it in the book! I did a quick search and found this but don't know ifin it's the same dealy-o...

"Get a piece of wire and find the little black box next to the firewall on passanger side that says diagnosis. Connect the wire from E1 to TE1 and turn the key to on (don't start). Count the flashing check engine light."

Gonna check it out but just wanted to bounce it off the list...

You will need an OBDII scan tool to pull the code(s). As I imagine you do not have one in your hip pocket, go to Autozone and ask them if they could pull them for you. Generally they will. Record them and post back. I'll tell you how deep to reach into your billfold. :ugh:

Dan :beer:

>> Go to Autozone...

Just for the record, this unfortunately no longer works out here. The Calif auto repair police busted Autozone for certain improprieties regarding diagnosing ( "repairing" ) vehicle faults, since they are not so licensed (selling auto parts is one thing, "repairing" them requires a different license.)

They will give you a different story, but that's what really came down. Technically Calif stores are no longer permitted to perform this "service."

R -

Ron,

Noted...

Tio,

Go buy yourself an OBDII scan tool and proceed.............. :ugh:

Tio,

Go buy yourself an OBDII scan tool and proceed..............

I was thinking more along the lines that he should schedule a roadtrip to somewhere that isn't controlled by Communists. &nbsp:Did I really type that? :G

I believe you ment "collumnists" :dunno:

Nope. I even spell checked that one.

You're both right.
-B-

I know. I defected when I was eighteen. :G

Well lucky for me the dealer just finished the valve adjustment on my rig so I can head back in a let them take a look at it as it happened just after a fairly major service they performed. Most likely they'll be happy to do it (Toyota of Oxnard, service dept. ranks pretty high on Toyota's customer surveys) but if not, I can yell purdy loud about how much money I just spent...they will learn my ways...

Yeah, Autozone got busted pretty hard. So who makes the 'best' OBD scanner? May as well have the best...

So who makes the 'best' OBD scanner? May as well have the best...

Is it to much scanner for you? Yes but it's the best...

[ftp]http://buy.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/MicroSCAN-Scan-Tool.asp?partno=EESC307A&dir=catalog[/ftp]

I think most, especially C-Dan would agree that the Toyota SST OBD II scanner is the 'Land Cruiser" of all scanners. It will thin out your wallet a mere $1500. :dunno: :G

Cruisin,

the whole thing is more like 4 grand  :eek:

Hardly seems enough. ::)

-H-

Not really, That is what they COST :ugh:

Yup.........

Gimme yer card number.............. :G

Todd,

>> So who makes the 'best' OBD scanner? <<
>> May as well have the best... <<

The best would be the customized units designed by the manufacturer (e.g. Toyota) for their vehicles and for their trained mechanics. Most of us cannot cost justify these tools even if we could afford them.

Assuming you're not going to spring over $4k for the Toyota tester, you have to start by deciding what you intend to use it for and what features are important to you. There are a lot of choices and a variety of testers.

For me, it was something that would:
1. Clear the MIL (remember my P0401 saga?)
2. Interpret the MIL codes
3. Give basic OBD-II information (RPM, O2 sensor, temps, etc.)
4. Portability and ease of use.

I didn't need or want much technical sophistication (i.e. complexity). The unit I selected will attach to a standard PC or laptop or to a Palm V for in-vehicle on the road use. It is very, very basic and cost about $175. (Harrison R&D) It is not the "best" for most people but it was the "best" for me.

HTH,
-B-

Todd,

>> So who makes the 'best' OBD scanner? <<
>> May as well have the best... <<

For me, it was something that would:
1. Clear the MIL (remember my P0401 saga?)
2. Interpret the MIL codes
3. Give basic OBD-II information (RPM, O2 sensor, temps, etc.)
4. Portability and ease of use.

Right, probably shoulda laid some specs out but B's kinda fit my own as well. Any other takers in the sub- $250 dollar range that improve upon his recomendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom