Engine Bay Fuse Box Lid Gasket Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it's a lot in one breath, but the title describes it all. I was checking the fuse box of my 4 month old to me 05 LX, and the dried out gasket broke in pieces and fell out piece by piece. May not seem like much, but a good seal is meant to keep moisture and dust out. I took some measurements and found a gasket at McMaster-Carr. I bought 3' of item # 1177N15. It is a 3/32" square high-temp silicone o-ring stock. Around $5 with tax and freight to my door. Little pain in the arse installing it, as it wants to twist. Just take your time and use a quarter to roll it in. It is a little taller than the OEM caulking, so the lid fits snug, but does close.

LX Fuse Box Gasket 1.jpg

LX Fuse Box Gasket 2.jpg

I was totally about to buy a new lid from Toyota because my gasket was dry and crispy. Worried about water intrusion.

I used Liquid Tape, but I like your idea better.

Good job and nice post. Thanks

May I know how you make the cord a loop? I mean how to connect both ends for a total seal? Thanks!

so just keep a little bit overlap the ends, right?

Thanks! Just ordered mine.

There’s no room for actual overlap, the cord fits pretty tightly in the groove. When you get back to where you started cut the cord a little longer than needed (couple mm maybe) and finish filling the groove. The ends will end up touching tightly.
Perfect! Thanks for the good helpful information.:cheers:

Great idea 05JLX470 !

Thanks for posting the details on this fix. Looks like the price for the material on McMaster-Carr's website went way up. I did find the same material at The O-Ring Store - www.theoringstore.com. Ten feet of .103" (3/32" NOM) Square Silicone 70 FDA O-Ring Cord (SS70.103) - came up to $8.63 including shipping - should be plenty to do both cruisers with plenty left over for other projects.

Yo, thanks for this @05JLX470! I saw the thread when you opened it and finally remembered to check. I didn't have a gasket at all.

Ordered the same part as you, install took just a few minutes. It's a real pain to get the lid back closed, but at least it's sealed now.

Thank you! Just did this procedure. PITA to close the box back. Ended up using a mallet (careful not to crack the plastic cover while doing it though). Hoping this solves my blinking hazard lights after heavy rain / car wash!

Did you push the gasket all the way into the track in the lid? I did mine a few weeks back with the McMaster one and it closed fine.

Yeah I used the McMaster part referenced above.

Did you use a tool? I used my fingers and lightly used a flat head screwdriver. The seal sat about 0.25-0.50mm above the lip on the track.

I imagine in a pinch.....regular window screen spline (while not square in profile) would probably roll into place as well. It comes in various diameters. Find it at any big box store.

Thank you! Just did this procedure. PITA to close the box back. Ended up using a mallet (careful not to crack the plastic cover while doing it though). Hoping this solves my blinking hazard lights after heavy rain / car wash!
Fuse box usually does not get wet after a car wash. Easy to check this out, just wash and look.

We do see all kinds of electrical gremlins with water entry down "A" pillars. Most common cause of this water leak, stems from poor windshield install.

I imagine in a pinch.....regular window screen spline (while not square in profile) would probably roll into place as well. It comes in various diameters. Find it at any big box store.
Reminds me, I need some more cord. I've not tried the window screen spline, which is readily available. Good thinking my friend!
Fues box lid, .103in EPR cord  (1).JPG

Fuse box seal.JPG

Thanks OP @05JLX470
I just replaced mine
I'd prefer a slightly softer durometer than 70 for more squish/seal, but this is better than no gasket (which is what I had) and a new lid is no longer available via Partsouq for $30 bucks (which is pricey to get a new seal, if that's all you need/want)

The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy! - https://www.theoringstore.com/store/ did not have the exact same stuff @05JLX470 used, so I got:
.103" (3/32 NOM .099 Actual) Square Buna 70 O-ring Cord Stock, 10' piece
SN 70.103/10
$4.70 + shipping
At minimum, I would get 3 feet

1622857035276.png

McMaster-Carr has this too:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom