Encouraging effort by the NRA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good to see them making an effort in planning these cleanups. Wish it was on a weekend so more could attend though.

Arizona: Come Join Fellow Gun Owners in Helping to Clean Up Box Canyon

Box Canyon is a very popular recreational area. Its heavy use requires periodic clean ups to help keep it looking beautiful. We are encouraging shooters and hunters who recreate on this and other public lands to come out and participate in a clean-up project.

When: Monday, December 7
Time: 8:00 am to noon
Where: Box Canyon outside Maricopa

Directions: From the intersection of Highway 238 and Highway 347 in Maricopa take Highway 238 west to Rio Bravo Road. Head south of Rio Bravo approximately 4.5 miles and the location will be on the west side of the road. The area is just outside of the town of Maricopa and just south of the intersection of Hidden Valley Road and Farrel Road.

Please bring work gloves and wear sturdy shoes. And show your NRA support by wearing an NRA hat, t-shirt or anything that identifies you as a proud NRA member.

Lunch and water will be provided to all the volunteers as a thank you from the National Rifle Association (NRA), Safari Club International (SCI) and National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).

For further questions please contact Tyler Raspiller at TRaspiller@azgfd.gov.

finally

I just realized that this is a "different" Box Canyon!? Anyone know where this is? Anyone been there?

Dec 7 is a Saturday.

I just realized that this is a "different" Box Canyon!? Anyone know where this is? Anyone been there?

Hopefully it's full of trigger trash.

I would like to be optimistic. Perhaps... they are realizing they have a problem. I wish them success and would like to see a shooters awareness campaign so that future generations don't have to deal with the trash.
Just my two cents.

Crazy thing is every NRA member I know (including me) and every gun owner that I associate with, that target practices on public land, ALREADY picks up more brass, old targets, that old TV that was "cool" :rolleyes: to shoot up... than they bring out. Kinda like when 'wheeling: Sure wish all those other public land users would respect the land like we do and not trash it.

Leaving behind trash, whatever the type, is hardly a "shooters only" problem. It's a unique one though. Why the hell would you leave behind valuable trash? Used brass has value, people will BUY IT especially in this current political climate. It defies logic.

Crazy thing is every NRA member I know (including me) and every gun owner that I associate with, that target practices on public land, ALREADY picks up more brass, old targets, that old TV that was "cool" :rolleyes: to shoot up... than they bring out. Kinda like when 'wheeling: Sure wish all those other public land users would respect the land like we do and not trash it.

Leaving behind trash, whatever the type, is hardly a "shooters only" problem. It's a unique one though. Why the hell would you leave behind valuable trash? Used brass has value, people will BUY IT especially in this current political climate. It defies logic.

That's the problem Mark. Every shooter I meet claims the same thing, yet at every clean up, we pick up tons of shot up s***. Appliances and monitors lack the capacity to shoot each other. Yet the idiot zone, looks like a war zone.

I'm not suggesting that all or even most shooters are irresponsible. But there is clearly a good number and they reflect poorly on all of us. Claiming "not me" may be completely accurate but it solves nothing.

That's the problem Mark. Every shooter I meet claims the same thing, yet at every clean up, we pick up tons of shot up s***. Appliances and monitors lack the capacity to shoot each other. Yet the idiot zone, looks like a war zone.

I'm not suggesting that all or even most shooters are irresponsible. But there is clearly a good number and they reflect poorly on all of us. Claiming "not me" may be completely accurate but it solves nothing.

I know you didn't. And like ALL user "groups" (I hate grouping people, if you use public lands, whatever the purpose, you're all one big group) there are the idiots and the responsible.

Last edited:
Agree, there are responsible and irresponsible users in every user group.

Agree that shooters are not the only trash problem. But evidence shows they are the biggest problem, by orders of magnitude over all others, combined.:eek:

Sorry Kevin, but I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Super-hyperbole notwithstanding, it's just not possible. I wheel in the same places you do, I see the same amount of trash left by ALL PUBLIC LAND USERS just like you do. There's a unacceptable amount of trash and junk and shot up TVs and targets and whatever left by shooters... then there's the washing machines, mattresses, piles of tires and batteries, whatever, left by all the rest. By your statement that would mean the 4 Peaks cleanup would have 5 rolloffs of gun cartridges and used targets, and 1 of everything else. I know you feel strongly about this subject just as I do, but outlandish statements of "evidence" doesn't really help.

Anyway, it's good that 2 of the largest gun-owner advocacy groups are getting together on this.

I know you didn't. And like ALL user "groups" (I hate grouping people, if you use public lands, whatever the purpose, you're all one big group) there are the idiots and the responsible.

I agree, anything that starts with "all" is almost always a fallacy. However, fair or not, the actions of a few do reflect on the group as a whole. I have little doubt that the people in this club are not part of the problem. But not being part of the problem is only a small part of the solution.

If widespread littering, destruction of property and public endangerment don't bother you, chew on this. Irresponsible shooters are threatening all of our rights to target shoot on public lands. That should piss off all gun owners. Sure, you can just kill the messenger, or you can do something about it.

I agree, anything that starts with "all" is almost always a fallacy. However, fair or not, the actions of a few do reflect on the group as a whole. I have little doubt that the people in this club are not part of the problem. But not being part of the problem is only a small part of the solution.

If widespread littering, destruction of property and public endangerment don't bother you, chew on this. Irresponsible shooters are threatening all of our rights to target shoot on public lands. That should piss off all gun owners. Sure, you can just kill the messenger, or you can do something about it.

You're right. It does and I do.

Now where did I leave off on my QRZ test quiz? (Because I really want to move on... to damn much angst).

My daughter and I picked up 4 buckets of "brass" in just a couple of hours. RELOADERS use real brass as it works well to reload, but most shooters are "party shooters" and they buy the cheapest bullets they can find. The casings are mostly steel. The good news is they are magnetic, which makes them easy to clean up, but the bad news is they are nearly worthless, so the shooters leave them on the ground.

The NRA did support the Table Mesa Cleanup several years ago, but they have been conspicuous in their absence ever since. As a long time member of NRA, I feel they need to become very involved in this regardless of who actually leaves the trash, as it reflects badly on the NRA as the largest gun organization in the country. They are missing a huge opportunity to improve their image encouraging /supporting both personal and group cleanup efforts.

I have been wheeling, shooting, and hunting in the boonies since 1972, and I have been picking up other people's trash since day 1. The VAST majority of the trash has been shooter related.

If the NRA would take a Proactive stance on this problem, I am sure it would have positive results on a large percent of ALL shooters, and a large part of the problem would disappear. John

Trash

Cool thing is that everyone on this forum feels strongly about keeping the countryside clean and open, regardless of who they think may be responsible.
Good group, you should be proud of your attitude toward this. T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom