Emissions inspection change in NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ Yep. Instead of $30 It's $14 or so.

CEL still needs to be off, but they don't plug in to see if you've reset it on the way to the station IIRC.

^ Yep. Instead of $30 It's $14 or so.

CEL still needs to be off, but they don't plug in to see if you've reset it on the way to the station IIRC.

Gotcha. So theoretically they would never need to plug into the OBD port. Does that open up the possibility to swap to the H151F?

Good question. They're probably still suppose to be doing the visual inspection which would technically not pass if there were no cats, no EGR, bunch of vacuum lines gone, etc.

..but they also probably won't be looking very close if just doing a safety inspection.

Diesel swap rules are different for older vehicles (engine just has to be same or newer I think) @GLTHFJ60 I'm sure remembers more. Not sure what that will mean for OBDII vehicles. That option would be really nice.

Does that open up the possibility to swap to the H151F?

Yes it does. @k4azy 's truck has a (iirc) venezuelan ECU for a 1FZ/H151F truck. This means his CEL is not on, which allows him to pass, even though the OBD2 version running on that ECU is not the same as this country.

Good question. They're probably still suppose to be doing the visual inspection which would technically not pass if there were no cats, no EGR, bunch of vacuum lines gone, etc.

..but they also probably won't be looking very close if just doing a safety inspection.

Diesel swap rules are different for older vehicles (engine just has to be same or newer I think) @GLTHFJ60 I'm sure remembers more. Not sure what that will mean for OBDII vehicles. That option would be really nice.

For gas cars, a visual check of emissions components called the "tampering inspection" is part of the NC state "safety inspection". When you convert to diesel (depending on year) these fields, which again are part of the safety inspection, go to N/A. See example below.

1579726422573.png

Nc dmv is a complete crap show.

I have spent hours waiting on the phone and talking with them only to be ping-ponged back and forth between departments then finally to an external company. They must be using Windows 95 over there.

I feel like I'm in a scene from Idiocracy.

Soooo... does this mean we organize a group buy for some fake cats?

By the way, had my inspection today on the '97 FZJ80 and it was $14 and no emissions.

Well, went to get the 73,and lx inspected, good news 90 and older no inspection, 2000 down just safety.

BTW, I removed my EGR a few years ago and I've had my ABS light on for at least one inspection. My inspection has never been failed.

My 94 has always had the ABS light on and never failed over my ownership since 2013. The CEL has glowed brightly for the last 4 years, at least, for each inspection. It always seems to come on a couple weeks before inspection but obviously doesn’t matter as a pre-OBD2. I always look forward to a little bit of joy on inspection day with that truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom