Emissions inspection change in NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So does this new 20 + year old law supercede and/or negate the county emissions inspection required in the big polluter counties like Mecklenberg, Union, Durham, etc...?

Reason I ask is, I got my '96 inspected in Union last month and was told by the station that only a Safety Inspection was required.

I paid the reg, taxes etc... on their PayIt app and was awaiting a registration and sticker.

Fast forward a few weeks and now DMV put an Inspection Stop on my vehicle and is saying that in order to get my reg sticker, they'll refund my $ and I need to get another inspection, safety & emissions even though its over 20 years old.
Then pay them again and wait 3-4 weeks for my original refund.
Seems pretty convoluted and the inspection shop swears that emissions are not required required regardless of county if vehicle is 20 years or older.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

Last edited:
Looks right...

"3) (Contingent effective date – see note) It is (i) a vehicle with a model year
within 20 years of the current year and older than the three most recent model
years or (ii) a vehicle with a model year within 20 years of the current year
and has 70,000 miles or more on its odometer."

Nice. Maybe I should run straight pipes in the FJ80 and the quattro!!

Nice. Maybe I should run straight pipes in the FJ80 and the quattro!!
You should. The Quattro could shoot flames like the rally cars of old. 😎

So does this new 20 + year old law supercede and/or negate the county emissions inspection required in the big polluter counties like Mecklenberg, Union, Durham, etc...?

Reason I ask is, I got my '96 inspected in Union last month and was told by the station that only a Safety Inspection was required.

I paid the reg, taxes etc... on their PayIt app and was awaiting a registration and sticker.

Fast forward a few weeks and now DMV put an Inspection Stop on my vehicle and is saying that in order to get my reg sticker, they'll refund my $ and I need to get another inspection, safety & emissions even though its over 20 years old.
Then pay them again and wait 3-4 weeks for my original refund.
Seems pretty convoluted and the inspection shop swears that emissions are not required required regardless of county if vehicle is 20 years or older.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?
What was the date on the original inspection? If it was before the 1st of December it was still under the old law.

You should. The Quattro could shoot flames like the rally cars of old. 😎
And amplify the sound of a turbo I5. Wonder how CMPD would react to the flames....

Just had my 99 inspected last week, and they charged a $16 fee for safety inspection here in Wake County.

On a semi related note, I received my registrations for my LC, and daughters 06 acura today. It seems the acura went up in value from $5400 last year to $7100 this year. It’s the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that appreciated in value🤔. I really could care less about the extra $10 in tax, but will be calling the county on this BS!

******Update on the increased tax value of my daughters car. I spoke with Wake County and they use NADA for tax value. It seems I must have made a killer deal at $5400 over a year ago (hah, I think I actually overpaid!), and Wake Co erroneously reset my value from the sales price to the NADA value. Crazy out of whack. Just goes to show you market vs. NADA ain't exactly realistic. Staff person was helpful and depreciated the current value at 10% below my last year's set value.

Last edited:
Looks right...

"3) (Contingent effective date – see note) It is (i) a vehicle with a model year
within 20 years of the current year and older than the three most recent model
years or (ii) a vehicle with a model year within 20 years of the current year
and has 70,000 miles or more on its odometer."
Thanks.
I think a 1996 fits in there. As was the smog station owner opinion based on what he was given from the state.
Guessing someone at DMV didn't read it throughly or that the 22 non-emissions exempt counties rule negates the section 3 that you quoted. At least that's what someone at DMV assumed it to mean.

Last edited:
Just had my 99 inspected last week, and they charged a $16 fee for safety inspection here in Wake County.

On a semi related note, I received my registrations for my LC, and daughters 06 acura today. It seems the acura went up in value from $5400 last year to $7100 this year. It’s the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that appreciated in value🤔. I really could care less about the extra $10 in tax, but will be calling the county on this BS!
So Wake county huh? That was on the DMV list of 22 counties that emissions testing was still in effect for.

The law exempts all vehicles over 20 even in the 22 counties that have the emissions requirements. That pay it portal is a contracted service that I’ve had issues with in the past, good luck, but I think ultimately you’ll get it straight.

So, stupid question. What does all this mean for those of us who won't be needing an emissions inspection anymore?

I think its just a lower inspection cost. If you keep your emissions standard, maybe not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom