Emergency flasher works, but not my indicators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to troubleshoot this one for a while. Obviously, my flasher is ok, since my emergency flashers works. Since all the lights flash, that also tells me that my lights have a good ground. I've tried rebuilding my steering wheel indicator assembly and everything looks good. The fuse is also ok. But yet, my indicators just don't work. There's nothing...nada, zip.
ANyone have any ideas on what else to check?

Your hazard switch needs to be serviced or replaced. I think coolerman posted a good step by step on how to do it.

Hi Shawn
I'm confused. Why would the hazard switch need to be serviced if my emergency flashers (and switch) work fine? I'll look for the post you suggested.
Thx.

Everything in your turn signals is wired through the hazard switch.

Thanks Shawn. Can't wait to check it out. I bet that's it then, since I've checked just about everything else.
Learn something new everyday.

Back to the old drawing board. Rebuily my hazard switch, but still no blinker. Will try tracing wires to hazard switch next.
What's strange is that blinkers worked intermittently when I got the car, then suddenly stopped working.

If you have a good wiring diagram just follow it. I guess it is possible to have an open or shorted wire from your TSS to the HAZ switch.

See diagram below. Look at the top of the hazard switch. It's powered 2 ways.
B1 = hazard off (turn is powered)
B2 = hazard on (overrides turn)
Check the turn fuse.
Image-08.JPG

HTH,

Rudi

My flasher would work but indicators would not, caused by a bad ground have your double checked all light grounds? the lights ground through them selves and rust is a huge issue where the fixture attaches to the body.

My flasher would work but indicators would not, caused by a bad ground have your double checked all light grounds? the lights ground through them selves and rust is a huge issue where the fixture attaches to the body.
I'll recheck the grounds at the lights. So you're saying flashers can still work, even if there's a bad ground at the lights? Wouldnt they use the same ground, since flashers and ibndicators use the same bulbs?

i think there are 2 power sources to that system one is hot all the time and the turn signal wire is on the key switch check for power at the steering colum when the key is on .or are you doing this with the key off ?;););)

Just a quick note so we can closure on this thread. Hopefully, this will help the next person.
Turns out my problem was corrosion at the fuse terminal. I was getting a lot of resistance across the fuse terminal.
I applied Naval Jelly to the fuse block terminals, let it sit and then sprayed contact cleaner. Then, voila, blinkers started working again...like new. Even my wiper started running faster.
The End

Quick question on this same topic to maybe help others troubleshoot in future:

After poring over the wire diagram posted above and Coolerman's (thanks),

What I have goin on:

1976 FJ

Hazards work all 4 corners
Turn signals do nothing with turning on with key on in either R or L turn signal position.

Turn sig switch is new Toyota. Tested both R and L positions for continuity, and it works (confirmed by sending 12v up the Grn/Blue wire and checking either the Grn/Blk or Grn/Yellow wires depending on turn signal position. So not that.

If i put 12v to the Green/Blk wire at the turn signal plastic connector (vehicle side of connector) I get a solid non-flashing shine from the drivers turn signal front and rear. Same on the Green/Yellow (passenger front and rear shines solid).

Question: If I jump a hot green/red on the hazard connector (truck side) to the Green/White terminal truck side (which energizes the flasher ) should I then be able to use the turn signals by activating the switch (R or L) ? (assuming grounds are good)
or
is there some reason I'd need to jump additional wires in the hazard connector to make my experiment work?

Sharing this great diagram posted above again!

IMG_6898.PNG

I had same issue and my problem was that the new light assembly had the wrong bulbs in. The flasher requires certain resistance to create the flash. There's enough of that when the hazards are on and both bulbs are illuminated. Not enough when just one turn signal is activated. Replace the turn signal bulb with something stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom