Fj43 will not go over 30MPH. Super low velocity but high RPM (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pilsanss1962

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello, I'm wondering if any of you Fj40 gurus can help me out with this quagmire. So I have a completely restored Fj43 4 speed 1978 2F down here in Medellín Colombia. All components of the car are new, including the engine. In our couple of initial test drives, we found that the vehicle will under no circumstances go faster than 30 miles per hour, and that's at the top of fourth gear with the pedal to the floor. The engine seems to run very strong with plenty of power uphill. The vacuum is at 15. But we are 7000 feet above sea level. The valves have been adjusted. The timing has been set. But at 30 miles per hour it feels like the engine needs six more gears to get up to 55. Also, notably, we drove the car 17 miles and it burned through half a tank of gas. WTF? Fuel tank as been restored and the filters show perfectly clean fuel. Thanks in advance if you can help.

all the components of the car are new??? most likely gone thru maybe but not new

someone screwed up in assembling the transfer case or the linkage.

All things point to low range. Just because you can’t get it to shift doesn’t mean it isn’t. It was all restored, and something may not be quite right.

Low speed + high rpm = low gearing = low range

Only other option is that you’re somehow limited to a high idle (1200-1500 rpm), and it for some reason sounds like high rpm. But since it probably sounds like it’s about to take off… that’s probably not the case.

Unlock the front hubs, drive around a parking lot turning left and right for a couple figure eights and then when rolling very slowly (almost stoped) see if it’ll shift with a firm bump on the stick.

I emphasize firm, but not hard! Use a bit of finesse. This is not the time for a four foot cheater bar and all your weight.

If it won’t shift, open up the T-Case and figure out why.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom