Flasher units… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious when the two flasher was replaced by a single flasher uint?
My 9/67 + 10/69 FJ40s have this flasher as well as one one the right side of the heater above trouble light outlet as I remember. Not around either currently to check. By the 68 model starting 9/67 hazard flashers were no longer an option in the US but standard. Switch was mounted in the dash not attached to the bottom. These also have a hidden fuse in the wiring harness inside the center cowl vent. That fuse only effects the flashers not the turn signals.
IMG_20190806_114649927.jpg

Curious when the two flasher was replaced by a single flasher uint?
My 9/67 + 10/69 FJ40s have this flasher as well as one one the right side of the heater above trouble light outlet as I remember. Not around either currently to check. By the 68 model starting 9/67 hazard flashers were no longer an option in the US but standard. Switch was mounted in the dash not attached to the bottom. These also have a hidden fuse in the wiring harness inside the center cowl vent. That fuse only effects the flashers not the turn signals.
View attachment 3450318
I’ll have to check for that fuse and flasher unit.

Only one thing I dislike about LED flashers is the speed they turn on and off. Not very vintage looking.
I don't know anyone doing a slugged version to simulate vintage warm up

I have received my snow rated flasher unit but I need to de pin my original plastic connector as the terminal configuration is just ][ that different.
Yes, I could cut, strip and use the new connectors supplied with the unit but I’d prefer not to.

So I installed the above mentioned snow rated flasher unit. No change, one side blinks, the other side steady.
I located the second (hazard) flasher unit and threw my original signal flasher in. Then the whole system buzzed.
I guess I need another flasher unit?

IMG_8574.jpeg

IMG_8575.jpeg

If one side blinks, then it demonstrates that that circuit works.
Why doesn't the other side flash? Because the second circuit has too much resistance somewhere.
Almost certainly one of the following:
- The bulbs in the other side are a different wattage (check the bulbs - swap them over and see what happens)
- The connections/ contacts in those bulb holders are corroded (clean with wire wool etc)
- the switch on the stalk is broken or dirty (jiggle it).
- The connections to that switch are corroded at the connector ( unplug, clean, and reseat).

Just because they all light up, doesn't mean they're working as they should - you'll probably find that some look dimmer than others.
Watch out for things getting warm - that's a good sign of resistance on a connector/ cable.

If one side blinks, then it demonstrates that that circuit works.
Why doesn't the other side flash? Because the second circuit has too much resistance somewhere.
Almost certainly one of the following:
- The bulbs in the other side are a different wattage (check the bulbs - swap them over and see what happens)
- The connections/ contacts in those bulb holders are corroded (clean with wire wool etc)
- the switch on the stalk is broken or dirty (jiggle it).
- The connections to that switch are corroded at the connector ( unplug, clean, and reseat).

Just because they all light up, doesn't mean they're working as they should - you'll probably find that some look dimmer than others.
Watch out for things getting warm - that's a good sign of resistance on a connector/ cable.
I’ll look at the front turn signals again. The rest of the bulbs and housings are new oem. I’ve cleaned all the connections.
New turn signal switch.
Any input is appreciated 🙂

My notes say that 11/1970 was when they went to a single flasher unit. My 2/1971 has a single flasher.

Also don't forget that on the early trucks all the turn signal wiring passes through the Hazard Switch. If the hazard switch contacts get dirty, all kinds of strange things can happen to the turn signals.
So when dealing with turn/hazard/flasher issues always clean both the hazard and turn switch internal contacts, re-lube the contacts, clean all the fuse clip holders, clean all the bulb sockets and light housing grounds, check you are using the correct wattage bulbs, and THEN, if they still are wonky, start replacing flashers. My LED flasher unit will work with LEDS or incandescent or any combo of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom