Emergency engine cut out in the woods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can only vouch for about a thousand of us knuckle heads. We don’t donate to @woody but we religiously purchase a Star on the site. Helps keep a few dogs fed and beverages flowing.

I make a habit carry a spare. Seen the same problem after 97 LC playing with mud pit. Truck won’t start. Found out the crank sensor malfunctioned. It’s a good suspect in your case.

^^^^

Same. Carry a spare CPS, TPS, Fusible Link and a can of WD40 (TPS and Dizzy can easily get wet).

Various tools and what not.

OK. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor but it still does not start. And it is still throwing the same code. I noticed that the receptor plug was blackened and looked to be bad as well. I did not get a picture but I think that portion of the system was also bad. How would I fix that or what is the part that I would order to fix that? Thanks again you guys. The only bad part is there is zero service where my rig is parked so I have to drive back to town to post anything or look anything up.
So thanks again for your help! You guys rock!

Screenshot_20200608-172619.jpg

Starting point on the electical connector is to use an electronic cleaner like the following:

Spray liberally and use something like an old toothbrush to get into the nooks and crannies.

Starting point on the electical connector is to use an electronic cleaner like the following:

Spray liberally and use something like an old toothbrush to get into the nooks and crannies.
I will drive back out there with a can of cleaner and a toothbrush tomorrow. Also a small amount of stranded wire to put into the connection terminal. If this doesn't work do you know what part that is? And where to find one? My local auto parts store is hardly a help..

You stated the error you were getting was for the Crank Position Sensor but in post #23 your showing a P0340 error which is the Camshaft Position Sensor which is an entirely different animal. That is part of the distributor. I would check the electrical connector for the distributor. After that it's time to pop the distributor cap and verify the cap and rotor are in good condition. Next verify the rotor turns while cranking the engine. Not turning, then pull the distributor and make sure the driven gear will spin the rotor. Beyond that you may need to remove the valve cover to verify the cams are rotating. The timing chain may have failed. A very infrequent failure but still possible. Maybe time to arrange for a tow.

That was my fault. I was going off what I remembered and I guess I remembered incorrectly. I ordered a new cap and rotor. And I think I am going to order this part too, if you think it's a good idea.

Screenshot_20200608-225341_Brave.jpg

There is no service at my friend's where my rig is parked and he is an old man so he doesn't have internet. So whenever I go up there I have no access to ask questions.

Also, if you were overheating that badly once you get it running again and back to civilization you should look at replacing the fan clutch, flushing the system and throwing in a new radiator.

Good point @akrugg!
All my built I use the older radiator available New at your local Toyota Dealer! #16400-66040
image.jpg

I'm heading to Leavenworth on Friday, just checking to see if you can use any other spares that I might bring, or pick something up for you from the local Toyota dealer here in Coeur d'Alene?

I'm heading to Leavenworth on Friday, just checking to see if you can use any other spares that I might bring, or pick something up for you from the local Toyota dealer here in Coeur d'Alene?
Dangit! I broke my phone and didn't log on here.. Thank you very much for the offer. I wish I had remembered all my login information.. I got it now. I guess I rely too much on my phone for things.

I spoke with a local mechanic here in town. He was a Toyota master mechanic for 8 years and has worked on "tons" of these. So I am going to bite the bullet and have it towed into him. If it is going to cost too much I am gonna sit on her for another hyear or so and do an engine swap.. I have a new cap and rotor. So I will first put that on there and see if that might be it.. Probably not. But if it is I will be stoked! Any quick advice on the cap and rotor?

I spoke with a local mechanic here in town. He was a Toyota master mechanic for 8 years and has worked on "tons" of these. So I am going to bite the bullet and have it towed into him. If it is going to cost too much I am gonna sit on her for another hyear or so and do an engine swap.. I have a new cap and rotor. So I will first put that on there and see if that might be it.. Probably not. But if it is I will be stoked! Any quick advice on the cap and rotor?
Yes.

Toyota parts only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom