Emergency engine cut out in the woods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am on some forest service roads and the engine just stopped, i have an obd 2 reader and it says crank shaft position sensor. I have reset it and still nothing. It turns over just fine. And the code no longer shows up.

Last edited:
I am on some forest service roads and the engine just stopped, i have an obd 2 reader and it says crank shaft position sensor. I have reset it and still nothing. It turns over just fine. And the code no l
What year truck?

I assume 95+ due to OBD2 reader......

Sorry, reading comprehension.

Check the wires on the bottom. Did you run over a stick, log or deep water?

The Crank Sensor wiring is in the guarded "harness" that appears to be attached to the bottom of the oil pan near the front of the engine.

1591070337506.png

1591070383567.png

1591070411849.png

I hope this helps!

Sorry, it's a 1995. It was overheating when I threw the code reader on it. But the temp gauge in the dash wasn't elevated until I turned it off and then the key back to the on position. I was watching because about 3 miles before my wife said it smelled hot. Never had that problem before.

But it turns over just fine. I checked all the fuses. I checked the power past the fusible link. Not for voltage just with a little light tester.

I didn't run over anything that I noticed. No water, stick, extra high rocks. Nothing like that. It just felt like all of a sudden it had no gas. But not like it sputtered to a stop. Just cut out.

Glad everyone is safe. Let us know the outcome.

I know the AC will be shut off at 226'F

It's possible it was basically vapor locking at that temp and fully heat soaked.

Fuel injected engines don't typically vapor lock, but at that temp, fuel evaporates quickly.

My Studebaker would vapor lock at 245'F and we'd have to sit for two hours with the hood up to get it close enough to even attempt to start it.

Glad you are safe, let us know if you still have issues.

I know the AC will be shut off at 226'F

It's possible it was basically vapor locking at that temp and fully heat soaked.

Fuel injected engines don't typically vapor lock, but at that temp, fuel evaporates quickly.

My Studebaker would vapor lock at 245'F and we'd have to sit for two hours with the hood up to get it close enough to even attempt to start it.

Glad you are safe, let us know if you still have issues.
I tried it one last time at 167. No dice. I am going back up there after work today. Anything I could bring along that is cheap? Ie fuel injector relay?

If your code said Crank Sensor, I would start there with diagnosis.

Check plugs, connections, wires, maybe it cooked it?

I'll bring my socket set and an impact gun. Do you happen to know the exact size? Cus I am missing a 10mm in my impact set. But I can bring a regular one if I need to. Thank you so much for your help. I can't express my gratitude enough for this awesome site. Everyone is so helpful and there is never any drama. So different than most web experiences... I tried to donate via brave but mud isn't verified yet.

I'll bring my socket set and an impact gun. Do you happen to know the exact size? Cus I am missing a 10mm in my impact set. But I can bring a regular one if I need to. Thank you so much for your help. I can't express my gratitude enough for this awesome site. Everyone is so helpful and there is never any drama. So different than most web experiences... I tried to donate via brave but mud isn't verified yet.
Not sure on size but I'm guessing 10 MM and 12 MM.

Check your CPS connection first (and wiring).

95_97 CPS.jpg

If you don't find a bad connection or broken wire, you can Ohm it out...but my experience with Crank Sensors (anyone's) is that they can test good but be bad (intermittent problem) because they tend to 'heat soak'.

If I even suspect it is the CPS, I just replace it.

Last edited:
The local napa says they do not have one and the manufacture is out of stock. For the crank shaft position sensor. They are 3 weeks out before they could have it. Does anyone have one or know where I could get one sooner than that?

Check your CPS connection first (and wiring).

View attachment 2327520

If you don't find a bad connection or broken wire, you can Ohm it out...but my experience with Crank Sensors (anyone's) is that they can test good but be bad (intermittent problem) because they tend to 'heat soak'.

If I even suspect it is the CPS, I just replace it.
I make a habit carry a spare. Seen the same problem after 97 LC playing with mud pit. Truck won’t start. Found out the crank sensor malfunctioned. It’s a good suspect in your case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom