Elocker Install Writeup!! Opinions and Input Needed!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I am going to be installing the factory E-Lockers into my 93FZJ80 and i will be detailing this as much as possible to provide a "How To" complete with part #'s, pictures, pricing, and so on and so forth so that others can learn from my mistakes! :D

I got all the wiring from the truck Koffer was parting out, so this should be almost a complete plug and play ordeal! (Thanks Todd)

I have been PMing with Cruiserdan (Thanks Dan) and will be doing something very similar to what he did, but i am making this into a step by step "How To Add E-Lockers Into Your Non Elockered Rig"

Work (my job) is kinda slow right now, and i got nothing better to do, so thats 1/2 my reasoning for doing this! :D

I have started working on a writeup with what i got done so far. Can ya please take a look at it and if you have anything to add to it or to comment on, please do. I am going to post this to the tech section when its all done, to

This is what i have so far (no where near complete yet)L:

http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/elockerinstall.htm

Any input and comments?

Thanks

BM- this is just what many of us have been looking for! The format , pics, and detail are fantastic! Keep up the great work! :)

alaskacruiser said:
BM- this is just what many of us have been looking for! The format , pics, and detail are fantastic! Keep up the great work! :)

Thanks Alaska! Hopefully i get a bunch of comments and info to add to it!

Last edited:
B.M. I don't have anything to add since I haven't done it yet, but you are doing great so far! Good pics with good detail!

Yo BM, I have been wanting to do what you are trying to accomplish. Those pictures are nice and will greatly making the swap a little easier. The only thing I would like to add is when you really get to the axles and lockers. Looks overwhelming when you come to think of it. A lot of bolts and unbolts under the rig. You need to have the rig on the lift to easily access the removal and installation of axles.

1. You have to disconnect all four disc brakes, then the LSPV, leave them hanging on a piece of wires to prevent stretching the rubber. Disconnect the emergency brake.
2. Disconnect front and rear shocks and coil springs and maybe the steering stabilizer.
3. Disconnect front and rear driveshafts.
4. Unplug the diff breathers.
5, Remove the front and rear rotors.
6. You may have to remove the front and rear swaybars, both front and rear panhard rods.

That's all I can think of right now. You need at least 3 days and a muscular friends to help you drop those axles. They are heavy.

Then of course the installation of the above.

Good luck!

I

This looks like it's is going to be awesome (to still a term from you Gordan fans) Mangler! Now if we could get C'Dan to get of his tuff :D and detail the 5 wire harness that goes from the rear panel to the front ECU, it'd be golden. I take it that you got your's off the salvaged rig?

:beer:
Rookie2

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
Yo BM, I have been wanting to do what you are trying to accomplish. Those pictures are nice and will greatly making the swap a little easier. The only thing I would like to add is when you really get to the axles and lockers. Looks overwhelming when you come to think of it. A lot of bolts and unbolts under the rig. You need to have the rig on the lift to easily access the removal and installation of axles.

1. You have to disconnect all four disc brakes, then the LSPV, leave them hanging on a piece of wires to prevent stretching the rubber. Disconnect the emergency brake.
2. Disconnect front and rear shocks and coil springs and maybe the steering stabilizer.
3. Disconnect front and rear driveshafts.
4. Unplug the diff breathers.
5, Remove the front and rear rotors.
6. You may have to remove the front and rear swaybars, both front and rear panhard rods.

That's all I can think of right now. You need at least 3 days and a muscular friends to help you drop those axles. They are heavy.

Then of course the installation of the above.

Good luck!

I

Thanks Noel, doing the axles is the EASY part, for me anyway. I have already done this on my FJ60 and it is quite simply a matter of bolting and unbolting stuff. I am a complete moron when it comes to reading schematics and such, so i need a little help on the wiring. The rest i can handle!

Either way, YES, i will be detailing complete details of this as well!

Thanks

Rookie2 said:
This looks like it's is going to be awesome (to still a term from you Gordan fans) Mangler! Now if we could get C'Dan to get of his tuff :D and detail the 5 wire harness that goes from the rear panel to the front ECU, it'd be golden.
I have actually been PMing with him on this and he has been quite helpful! I am electronically challenged and he kinda confused me, so i think we are going to talk later when he gets back from vacation! He is swamped at work and i dont wanna bother him with my peddly crap!

I will be detailing everything he tells me in this write up as best i can!

I got the harness all figured out and such, i just dont know how to connect or splice into what i need to. I got all the wires and such traced and located! I just dont have the confidence to just splicing wires in this rig!

Rookie2 said:
I take it that you got your's off the salvaged rig?

Yes sir!

Boston,
EXcellent work bro. If you could include prices for all the parts in the table for parts that would be awesome. I've definitely been waiting to see a retro fit with such perfection and excellence.
Best of luck

-Sam-

Kevin,

Great job so far, been wondering what the dash looked liked completely pulled apart. Curious, why elockers instead of ARBs, I considered this path for my 94, but got lazy due to all the extra work you have to do fo the elockers :D so just installed the ARBs instead. :)

PKP80 said:
Boston,
EXcellent work bro. If you could include prices for all the parts in the table for parts that would be awesome. I've definitely been waiting to see a retro fit with such perfection and excellence.
Best of luck

-Sam-

Thanks Sam, as far as pricing, i dont see how i could, all of this is going to be done using used parts from wrecked trucks and such. I will keep track of cost, but using this method is going to varying costs from one guy to the next

thanks

Biff said:
Curious, why elockers instead of ARBs,

A few reasons, i like the simplicity of the factory lockers, i like the factory look, i like having the factory parts in case something goes wrong i can go to my dealer and i got a smoking deal on all of the wiring!

I am not really a big fan of the ARB lockers. I know, I know, yours probably works great and so on and so forth, but i have been wheeling with TONS of people who are always having issues with them (stuck solenoids, leaky orings, bad compresors, etc...) Again, i am sure there are plenty of people with ARB's and no problems, but from my hands on experience, they seem pretty troublesome for what they cost! 9 times out of 10 it is the installers error, so i guess i cant directly bash the "ARB's" themselves!!

PLEASE dont turn this into an ARB debate, i have seen that happen too often!

I know elockers got their problems too, but i will be finding out about that first hand! :D

Thanks

Thats cool, I was just wondering. Can't wait to see your final product, your rig will really be undstopable.

Kevin,

Have you read up on Christo's site about a little grinding, etc you will need to do installing the factory lockers? Let me know how the center diff switch 'test' goes.

Boston Mangler said:
I have actually been PMing with him on this and he has been quite helpful! I am electronically challenged and he kinda confused me, so i think we are going to talk later when he gets back from vacation! He is swamped at work and i dont wanna bother him with my peddly crap!

I will be detailing everything he tells me in this write up as best i can!

I got the harness all figured out and such, i just dont know how to connect or splice into what i need to. I got all the wires and such traced and located! I just dont have the confidence to just splicing wires in this rig!

Yes sir!

I'm not 100% sure this is correct terminology, but when I say harness, I mean the whole thing, from end connector to end connector. My understanding of what Dan did was get the harness that goes from the actuator to inside rear wheel panel, and then he fab a 5 wire harness that runs from this rear panel to the ECU in the front right kick panel. My thought was that once the harness was fabbed up, it was just a matter of plugging in at the rear kick panel, running it to the front, and plug the other end in at the front ECU. I didn't understand there to be any wire splicing. No?

Got any tricks/ tid bits to add on how to get to and open up the instrument cluster?

Rookie2

Brentbba said:
Have you read up on Christo's site about a little grinding, etc you will need to do installing the factory lockers? .

Yes, i installed these lockers on my FJ60 as well. Never got them wired though, ended up selling the rig before it was done!

Brentbba said:
Let me know how the center diff switch 'test' goes.

Didnt do much, i pulled the plug off of what i thought was the tcase sensor and out a paperclip to bridge the wires, nothing happened except the ATP light came one when it was in park. The ABS or Diff Lock Light never came on. Maybe i pulled the wrong plug.

BM, got a quick question. When you installed the ECU locker in passenger side kick panel, is the bracket already installed in there? I'm talking about the bracket that holds the ECU. Thanks.

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
BM, got a quick question. When you installed the ECU locker in passenger side kick panel, is the bracket already installed in there? I'm talking about the bracket that holds the ECU. Thanks.

On mine, the bracket appeared to be part of the ECU

Rookie2 said:
I'm not 100% sure this is correct terminology, but when I say harness, I mean the whole thing, from end connector to end connector. My understanding of what Dan did was get the harness that goes from the actuator to inside rear wheel panel, and then he fab a 5 wire harness that runs from this rear panel to the ECU in the front right kick panel. My thought was that once the harness was fabbed up, it was just a matter of plugging in at the rear kick panel, running it to the front, and plug the other end in at the front ECU. I didn't understand there to be any wire splicing. No?

Rookie2

When I installed factory lockers in my '97, I had to fab the harness from the ECU to the rear quarter. Had to splice into the main harness at the ECU and then again into the harness from the rear quarter to the actuator. I did it many yerars ago and believe it was a 5 or 6 wire cable that I used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom