Electrical Tech Day April 6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Electrical Tech Day has found a new home:

April 6
8:00 AM
22712 Commerce Center Ct, Dulles, VA 20166

The class will be an all day event including demonstrations and hands-on activities.
Bring your voltmeter and soldering gun, if you have one.
Lunch provided.

Here is a list of the topics I hope to cover (time will be the limiting factor):
  • DC fundamentals: Volts, Amps, Ohms & Watts
  • Schematic diagrams & symbols
  • Switches, relays & solenoids, flashers
  • Motors: permanent magnet and series wound (starter & winch motors), dynamic braking
  • Ignition systems: Coil, points, distributor, wires & spark plugs
  • Charging systems: Alternator/generator, Amp/Volt meter, battery & regulator
  • Gauges & sensors v senders
  • Dual battery options
  • Wire gauge, circuit breakers, fuses, fusible links and grounding
  • Crimping, splicing, soldering & shrink tube
  • Troubleshooting techniques
  • Tips on using a volt/amp/ohm meter
  • Some unusual circuits explained

I you have a specific topic you want to cover, please let me know so I'm prepared.
I will be bringing stuff so we can have as many hands-on experiences as possible.
Please post if you plan to attend so I know how much to print.

Hope to see you on April 6th.
Thanks to @Jakes40 for making this happen.

I’m planning on being there also.

If you are coming West bound 267 take the 606 westbound (2nd exit) and it will be your 1st light lake a right and then your first right and I am the first door to the building. I will have my white F150 with Johnson Controls on the sides parked out front.
The door to the office may still have SimplexGrinnell in blue letters.
Pm me and I’ll send you my number and you can call me for directions.

FB1C82D2-C126-4F3C-9355-BE8DE0564AA5.png
0D78F6BD-4856-4AE6-853B-0BCF26E6AB07.png

Last edited:
Planning on attending. Cars and coffee is just up the road! This could be a good reason to drop in at Cars and coffee for the first half and then mosey down to electrical tech day.

Bringing a pillow?

Pretty sure he is teaching the lesson on the second half of the day. The advanced curriculum!!!

He has lectured before...

Jeff will be speaking on Zambia and Everest but I don't see any mention of Moab, Coal Mine, or the Relic Run. I'm still impressed.

Cars and coffee starts at 6:30 am or so. I meant the first half of cars and coffee, out of there in an hour or so and then going to Electrical tech day. And yes, a pillow is recommended for people doing this double header.

PSA: These great opportunities are possible because of the generosity of our members with their time and knowledge. There is alot that goes into this type of event, from finding a place to hold the class, and building a curriculum to scheduling it with the club members.
That is why I think this is the perfect event to collect club dues from members who are past due and from new members who wish to join the club.
A measly $25, either through PayPal to treasurer@capitallandcruiserclub.org or in person on the day of the event, is more than worth the price of admission.
So, fair warning: I will be reliving my old days as a bouncer and, if you are not a member in good standing (paid up prior to showing up), I will collect dues at the door or watch you submit payment via PayPal on the spot before you will be allowed in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom