Electrical supplies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon, gentlemen!

I’m in wiring mode at the moment, and was wondering where the rest of you go to purchase quality AUTOMOTIVE wiring supplies.

Based on the many posts I have read here, I know you guys are using good parts and good tools!

Where are you getting them?

Looking for items like:
-Wire
-Loom
-Solder-less connectors
-Marine grade heat shrink; with the adhesive
-Connectors
-Electrical Hand tools (strippers-crimpers-cutters-soldering irons, pin removal tools, etc.

The stuff at the local auto supply stores is not the kind of thing I’m interested in using for permanent work on the cruiser.
(Know what I mean?)

I’ve got a kit I’ve put together over the last 20+ years, and it’s time to refill it/update it! I know there’s better stuff out there!

Amazon is a gamble, and if there’s a particular brand, or web-site vendor, that Mudders have good experiences with, I would love to search it instead of the whole of the internet-cosmos!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and thank you!

Believe it or not but Harbor Freight now sells adhesive lined heat shrink tubing in kits that's excellent (and inexpensive). They also have adhesive lined crimp connectors that are very nice too (in a kit- not individually). At least half the price of expensive marine Anchor brand connectors that are virtually identical.

Any new wire you use really should be "Marine Grade" tinned wire. I always used Anchor brand. It's found in marine hardware stores and is expensive. Available as duplex wire too.

Amazon (and others) sells an excellent ratcheting wire crimper for insulated crimped connections. Only $19 and definitely worth it. Perfect crimps. The best I've used (compared to those awful hardware store cheapo things).

Titan Tools 11477 Ratcheting Wire Terminal Crimper

Soldering Iron: Any 50 watt soldering iron is fine. Pencil type, not trigger gun. Get a little tub of rosin flux (along with your rosin core solder). The flux makes all the difference for great solder joints.

There's lots of different wire strippers out there. I've never had a fancy one. Just a dedicated stripper (not part of a crimp tool) is fine. The fancy strip-&-pull strippers look really fun & nice but more often than not I'd just use a pocket knife & wire cutters to strip.

Waytek.com has quality supplies.

Here are the crimpers I used on my '86 FJ60 build:

Crimpers.jpg

The one on the left is from the local Do-It-Best hardware store, the other I bought online. It's a Lunar Crimp Frame, Model CP-336F ratcheting crimper.

^^^ The local one is okay (I have it) but I could see the other one probably being world’s better.

I'd like to find the black/yellow striped wire to replace the ground cables.

Also looking for the 10/12 gauge solid brass spade terminals that go in the end of the fusible link and a good crimping tool that crimps both the uninsulated part and the insulated wire. @RAGINGMATT ...if you don't think this cuts into your business maybe you could share a little info or maybe just sell me a few terminals...since I don't need 100. And direct me to a good crimper.

This is good stuff! Thank you to all who have answered!

@OSS, might have to visit Ye Olde HarborFreight today! Thanks for that tip, and the other wisdom nuggets!

@John McVicker, I down loaded the Waytek catalog and will begin digesting it! Chewy=good!

@g-man, that IWiss crimping set is a fair one! I got that same set to relocate winch controller. Seems to work well! I soldered a few of the crimp connections as well.

Again; GOOD STUFF!

Thank you all!

Last edited:
For regular wiring, make sure you use real automotive wire such as GXL. For battery cables, I recommend marine tinned copper cable.

I'd like to find the black/yellow striped wire to replace the ground cables.

Also looking for the 10/12 gauge solid brass spade terminals that go in the end of the fusible link and a good crimping tool that crimps both the uninsulated part and the insulated wire. @RAGINGMATT ...if you don't think this cuts into your business maybe you could share a little info or maybe just sell me a few terminals...since I don't need 100. And direct me to a good crimper.
This is good stuff! Thank you to all who have answered!

@OSS, might have to visit Ye Olde HarborFreight today! Thanks for that tip, and the other wisdom nuggets!

@John McVicker, I down loaded the Waytek catalog and will begin digesting it! Chewy=good!

@g-man, that IWiss crimping set is a fair one! I got that same set to relocate winch controller. Seems to work well! I soldered a few of the crimp connections as well.

Again; GOOD STUFF!

Thank you all!
^^^ The local one is okay (I have it) but I could see the other one probably being world’s better.
Believe it or not but Harbor Freight now sells adhesive lined heat shrink tubing in kits that's excellent (and inexpensive). They also have adhesive lined crimp connectors that are very nice too (in a kit- not individually). At least half the price of expensive marine Anchor brand connectors that are virtually identical.

Any new wire you use really should be "Marine Grade" tinned wire. I always used Anchor brand. It's found in marine hardware stores and is expensive. Available as duplex wire too.

Amazon (and others) sells an excellent ratcheting wire crimper for insulated crimped connections. Only $19 and definitely worth it. Perfect crimps. The best I've used (compared to those awful hardware store cheapo things).

Titan Tools 11477 Ratcheting Wire Terminal Crimper

Soldering Iron: Any 50 watt soldering iron is fine. Pencil type, not trigger gun. Get a little tub of rosin flux (along with your rosin core solder). The flux makes all the difference for great solder joints.

There's lots of different wire strippers out there. I've never had a fancy one. Just a dedicated stripper (not part of a crimp tool) is fine. The fancy strip-&-pull strippers look really fun & nice but more often than not I'd just use a pocket knife & wire cutters to strip.
Waytec & Delcity, occasionally Mouser.
For regular wiring, make sure you use real automotive wire such as GXL. For battery cables, I recommend marine tinned copper cable.
Here are the crimpers I used on my '86 FJ60 build:

View attachment 1889930

The one on the left is from the local Do-It-Best hardware store, the other I bought online. It's a Lunar Crimp Frame, Model CP-336F ratcheting crimper.

i will be happy to help u out @g-man , with the Necessary amount of Solid Brass spade terminals u require , i don't subscribe to the "Minimum Order Monkey Business Model ", Customer service & Helping out my fellow MUD members is mine ....... ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK , so here we go ........................

these comprise the Primary use from my Kit 95 % of the time , its rare for me to need another or different tool

when doing Wire Harness work , both building & repairs but it does occasionally happen of course

DSCN8363.JPG
DSCN8371.JPG
DSCN8370.JPG
DSCN8374.JPG
DSCN8378.JPG

- First up are My trusty ANCHOR Marine stainless steel wire gauge strippers

i was done playing around with Pep-Boyz & Advance Auto Parts sourced Garbage-Grade Strippers & Crimps , they would

loose there sharpness , get chips in the teeth & most of all here Near Wash. DC , RUST !

Rust , like no body business from ambient humidity in the air even , screw that , i was over

it ..........

I have a Commercial Marine parts & supply house here in town , where I source all my

Marine Grade Tinned Copper wire from , i asked the parts fellow if he had anything

well ........" Marine Grade " for cutting and stripping wires a few years ago , the next days stock

order brought these into my day to day life's work .

These are a Lifetime of Service and Use Tool grade product

Note: this is my second set , in a hurry i grabbed these & i tried cutting a old Solid Core Choke Cable off its guide tube , stainless steel can't cut through High Carbon Spring'd Steel Wire Cable , i Re-learned that lesson the hard way & Smoked the cutting portion of these right up :frown:

Stainless Steel Cut/Strip/Crimp Tool | Ancor

- for everybody these are a Must Have : a Fascinating Ballet of shear simple Technology

occurs every time i Automatically Strip the end of a wire then im ready to Double Crimp

whatever i need on to it " 2 Metric Seconds " later .....

Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper/Cutter - 11061 | Klein Tools - For Professionals since 1857

- I never heard of Chrome Plated Stainless Steel till i happened upon these baby's at West

Marine , i am a Weak-Minded JEDI Mind Trick Fool when it comes to anything that sparkles

& Shines made out of metal , however these CALCUTTA brand crimps have proved

they have " Powerful Force " & a Multi-Jobs-Scope application array of Talent potential ,

especially for smaller things like 22-24 gauge heat shrink Butt connectors

Stainless Steel Crimpers – Calcutta Outdoors

- I have seen this Video several times in the past and was the final deciding factor in me choosing the Klein 11061 , but i just re-watched it to double verify , and everything
the salesman says and shows in the Video is 100% real world fact , and worth every Dime
I spent investing in this Tool ..........fyi

if anyone knows where to source or who makes Stainless Steel Automatic Wire Strippers

( like my Kline 11061's )

please let me know , so far that tool does not exist on planet earth ?

Last edited:
Pressmaster & DENSO Pressmaster write-up's to follow shortly ........

Pressmaster

Last edited:
@RAGINGMATT what terminals do you recommend for re-pinning factory connectors? Non-insulated, usually double crimp. I haven't been able to find ones with the tab to lock into the connecter.

i will be happy to help u out @g-man , with the Necessary amount of Solid Brass spade terminals u require , i don't subscribe to the "Minimum Order Monkey Business Model ", Customer service & Helping out my fellow MUD members is mine ....... ;)

That's a great business model. Taking personal care and not worrying about making a big score on every sale helps to secure more customers that will eventually come back for a more substantial purchase! And we already know you have great attention to detail! PM inbound.

I just re-read @RAGINGMATT 's post and it looks like he has terminals for sale. I will be in touch.

After speaking with and PMing Ragingmatt I will be buying a pressmaster krb-0560. They are expensive swedish made crimpers for unisulated connectors. But are the Cadillac of crimp tools. Matt says he uses Yazaki (japanese) solid brass terminals. I'm having a hard time locating a set on the internet. Some sets on ebay but not specifically for toyota.

KRB-0560.jpg
dscn8411-jpg.1891635

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom