Electrical Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently replaced the alternator in my 85 FJ60 and about a week later the AC and radio stopped working. I noticed my battery was saying less than 12v when running so I decided to check the back of the alternator to confirm, it also said 12. I then checked the fusible link and this is what it looks like. Obviously, something isn't right but it looks like that wire has been cut for a while. Has anyone else experience a similar problem with their 60. Is there where I should start to try and get my a/c and radio back. I'm assuming I am having a voltage issue because even if you honk the horn or something it isn't full power.
ndLhFw

a>

a>

a>

a>

Last edited:
Looks like there was a problem before with the FL that the white wire from the harness went through. Is the white wire from the harness spliced into one of those two wires coming off the positive terminal. Might want to open up that splice point and investigate what is going on there. Hard to tell from the pics.

Looking closer, looks like they spliced those two wires in right above the fusible link? Between the battery and link..

What happens with that dastardly POS inadequate plug is exactly what you experienced. The FL wire doesn't melt (because the current isn't excessive) but the chintzy connector over time builds up resistance due to corrosion and that resistance creates heat which eventually starts melting the plastic in the plug, which smokes and create soot deposits on the metal contacts of the pin - creating more resistance- and more heat - until you end up with what you've got there. It is a really lame plug.

That plug now is toast. Cut it off and make a new connection with a heavy duty three spade plug.

Pretty typical ,,, I got a 12 vdc insulated buss bar and wired a large gauge wire from the battery , all of my fusible links and accessories through the bus bar. ditch the plugs.

Pretty typical ,,, I got a 12 vdc insulated buss bar and wired a large gauge wire from the battery , all of my fusible links and accessories through the bus bar. ditch the plugs.
Do you have a picture of how yours looks? This seems like the best option because I would need a whole new FL assembly. a 12v bus bar is way cheaper

I just went through this with mine, I opted to restore the plug with brand new terminals from @Coolerman. Costs next to nothing and stays original, but to each his own. I also made sure to coat everything in connector grease and coat the rubber plug in a paint on insulator. We'll see how it lasts.

The one thing I'm suspicious about is that mine looked exactly like yours...7mm terminal charcoaled but the 2 5mm were fine. If it was just a downward spiral of corrosion and heat, then why would it just affect the one terminal? I know it carries more current than the others but still?

The one terminal that carries the highest Current Load. It’s very poor design imo .

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of how yours looks? This seems like the best option because I would need a whole new FL assembly. a 12v bus bar is way cheaper
I’ll take one today ... I’m in the end phase of my diesel conversion . Also the fusible link wire is readily available through Pico ... just search it on Amazon.
Pico 8123PT 18 Gauge Fusible Link Wire (0.8 SQ mm) 8' per Package - Color Will Vary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057YYSQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OXUbAb9GTWADD

24CDD684-C3C0-4964-9495-D0D45E6AC15B.jpeg
I just cut the bad plug off the line side and reuse half of the plug.. extended some 10 gauge wire from each link to the Buss bar. 12v+ Buss bar is supplied by 1/0 wire from the accessory battery disconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom