Elctric Fan to replace the factory one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
I'm in the idea to remove the factory fan clutch and plastic stock fan from my HDJ80 and run the clasic Taurus fan .. justn for fun and to see how much powa ( if so ) it's taking the stock setup from the 80 ..

Anyone with the same crazy idea out there ?

I'm in the idea to remove the factory fan clutch and plastic stock fan from my HDJ80 and run the clasic Taurus fan .. justn for fun and to see how much powa ( if so ) it's taking the stock setup from the 80 ..

Anyone with the same crazy idea out there ?

Generally, I love the idea of an electric fan. I have on on the faux-lux out of necessity, but I very well may use one on the 45 whenever I get the time to wrench on it....

The pros for me are simple:
  • I like how much quieter the truck is with the fan off.
  • The fan is off 90% of the time. Only when I stop for 30 seconds or so does it usually cycle, but then, I don't do stop and go traffic very often.
  • I like that I can wire it so that it is automatic, or can be forced on any time I like (or forced off).
  • When it's cold here in the winter, the last thing I want is a fan pulling air through the radiator or over the engine. The less airflow the faster it'll warm up (and in the winter, this is a big deal for me).
  • An electric fan is really pretty simple, there's not a lot to fail there...

That said, there is stuff to fail there. I run a lead pretty much straight from the battery through a relay to the fan. That relay is powered by one of two sources: one that is a thermostat in the radiator that cycles the fan on and off as needed anytime my key is on, and the other is through a switch in the cab that I can command on any time. The power distribution for those two sources is entirely separate, with the only common point being the battery terminal itself. So I feel like I've got some great redundancy for the control and power to the fan. That said, I just have a fan. That motor can certainly fail (and I had one fail once). If I had my druthers, I'd buy a two fan setup so at least one would keep working if the other were to fail. Also, if I were you (and one of these days I'll do it) I would control the fan through a variable controller. In my case, the fan is on or off, and by the time the thermostat in the radiator cycles, my engine has already been making some serious heat, and the fan then has to play catch up. If the fan were to start up slowly and then increase its speed as the engine gets hotter I suspect that it might be more effective, as well as reducing the massive electric load that the fan puts on the system when it cycles on. It's an easy 30A.

You'll notice I didn't mention power there. For one, I don't try to race my stuff at all, but also I just don't think that's the big benefit of an electric fan setup. I just like my truck to have engine noise, and be almost startled when the fan kicks on. ;)

Dan

Tap Ive used the taurus fan over the last year and I think it works pretty well. I would not do this as a means to gain power. I suppose there might be a difference, but I did it for control and space. In your neck of the woods, I would imagine that the fan is on alot. I would be concerned about your alternator as this thing pulls like 50 amps on high. For an electric fan it pulls alot of air. I would say it would give a stock fan a good run for its money, but the stock feels like it pulls more and has the reliability factor. I do not regret putting it in at all. Here is a good install link I found for ya.

DIY 90-95 3.8l Taurus Elec Rad Fan Install/Mech Fan Repl for S14 using stock relays - Nissan 240SX Forums

g

My HDJ80 ( Marilu ) it's my DD mall crawler .. she never ( or at least not really often ) see nothing else than pavement city crowded roads ..

Another important thing is .. I live in Panamá .. you will see with easy 28°C ( aprox 80°F ) to 38°C ( 100°F ) any day ..

I have a temp gauge in my 80 in the AC vent .. and was 140°F last week when I jump in the car ( the car was parket outside under sun complete morning and that was at noon ) so cooling factor it's important to me too ..

I had use an electric fan for 6 years in the Texas heat without any issues....I like the ability to control it with an on off switch

Tale a look at SPAL USA. The hot rod community around be be swears by them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom