El Duderino's 1994 FZJ80 - The Crusher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next major change I made was rolling stock. Since I bought it, this 80 had stock 16" wheels with BFG ATs in 315/75R16 size (close to 35" diameter).

trDqcEUh.jpg

While I liked the way the truck looked, acceleration was terrible with the larger tires and stock final drive gearing. 35s are overkill for the type of offroading I've done and plan on doing, so in the interest of being slightly quicker off the line and improving city fuel economy, I wanted to go down to a ~33" tire. Specifically the new BFG AT K02 in 285/75R16.

I could've used these on the stock wheels with no problem, which would have worked well. However I've always loved the aesthetic of steel wheels on a 4WD Toyota. 17s are too large, in my opnion, so I started looking at the options for a 16" steelie. Turns out there are several common Toyota designs for spare wheels as used on Tundras, Sequoias, and Tacomas.

e5tLO1x.png

I found a 16x7" Tundra spare on craigslist with a well-used 285/75R16 BFG already mounted, $75 picked up. This was my trial fit part just to confirm that the wheel wouldn't interfere with the hubs and that the higher positive offset wouldn't sink the wheels & tires too far in and cause clearance issues. The stock 16" alloy wheels are -5mm offset, and these steelies are +15mm. So the centerline of the wheel would move inward by 20mm but the wheel is also narrower by 1.5 inches, meaning the backspacing is actually increased by 1mm. I used a wheel & tire calculator to visualize the difference.

3raliOKh.png

With the confidence that this would work, I found a semi-local used wheel shop selling the Tundra spares in 16x7, ET+15, for $45 each. These are a slightly different design from the spare I picked up (fewer holes...16 vs 18) but the fit is identical.

9YjwWbjh.jpg

From there I ordered the tires from 4WheelParts online, which had the best deal I could find. I had them mounted & balanced at the local 4WheelParts shop in Redondo Beach. The old 315s were worn very oddly, with cupping and uneven shoulder wear. They were also incredibly loud at low speed - not the typical mudder humming, but a low frequency thumping type noise from the wear pattern. I managed to sell the old tires on craigslist for $200 to a guy running the same size but in far worse condition - for him, they were an upgrade.

8nheVZih.jpg

TBZCg7Gh.jpg

With the new KO2s mounted on the steelies, this 80 is so much quieter and more pleasant to drive on the highway. It's almost luxurious now compared to my old frame of reference. I've gone on two offroad excursions with them so far and am very impressed at their performance on loose dirt and granite (trip reports to follow). I'm sure they will be much better on snow and ice as well, but we'll have to wait a while to test that.

O8RhOxFh.jpg

Wheel specs:
16x7 steel spare from 2001-2004 Tacoma, 2001-2003 Sequoia, 2000-2006 Tundra
Wheel Hollander number: 69392

• Wheel Diameter: 16
  • Wheel Width: 7
  • Number of Lugs: 6
  • Bolt Pattern: 6x5.5
  • Design: 16 Hole
  • Material: Steel
  • Offset: 15mm
  • Piece: One
  • Placement on Vehicle: Universal
  • Hollander Number: 69392
  • OEM Part Number: 426010C010
  • Identification Number: SEP

Glad I came across your thread. Very informative and thorough. Looking forward to you developing a turbo kit for our trucks. ;)

Glad I came across your thread. Very informative and thorough. Looking forward to you developing a turbo kit for our trucks. ;)

Thanks! I read through your build thread and engine rebuild thread. Awesome work - your 1FZ looks quite sharp! It was bringing back memories of a 22R rebuild I did a few years back; very extensive using mostly OE parts. It only had 2,000 miles on it and had been sitting since 1986 with crank and bearing damage.

Regarding turbocharging, I want to develop something that uses as much of the OE setup as possible, including stock exhaust manifolds. Thinking of a "J-pipe" that would act as an up-pipe to a twin scroll turbine housing, and then a downpipe that would ideally terminate at the cat entry flange(s) in the stock location(s). Because of our draconian emissions laws I'd do all of this with an eye towards easy removal and reinstallation every two years.

I was amazed when I started learning more about the 1FZ - it's begging for boost. Low compression, forged internals, piston oil squirters, divided exhaust, yeah.

If I do something that works reasonably well I'd consider some sort of batch run for a group buy or something. Fair warning though; this likely won't happen until next year at the earliest!

No forged internals but everything else is right on the money.

For some reason I thought it had a forged crank, but my memory was obviously faulty...

Is that an alpina 2002 I spy?

It's a 2002 with an Alpina badge on the grille ;)
That one is currently in the garage getting EFI, electronic ignition, and a GTX2860R turbo install.

Yep forged crank, sintered rods, cast pistons. But full forged setups do exist.

That makes sense; thanks for the clarification.

I haven't had a chance to go through your entire build thread yet; did you go with forged pistons and rods because of OE part failures or as a preventive measure?

Very nice rig BTW!

My grey truck is stock bottom end with 165,000 miles, with an estimated 420-460 crank hp, running a BW AFR 7670, J-pipe twinscroll, off the stock manifolds. I just rebuilt the head.

image-1646748812-jpg.766524

My black truck is going to be an all out effort, street hot rod. Forged rods, pistons, ported head, +3mm intake ports, +1mm exhaust ports, dual valve springs, shimless buckets, custom turbo manifold, GTX4202R, etc.

image-jpeg.1183469

Last edited:
Overdue trip reports!

Over Memorial Day weekend we took the 80 up to Big Bear Lake, CA to stay in a big cabin with friends. Summer is the off season in this ski/snowboard town so rental rates were great, (almost) everyone brought a Toyota 4WD vehicle, and there were some nearby trails that we planned on exploring between hot tub excursions and mini RC rock crawler competitions in the back yard.

3zXdD5ph.jpg

First outing was up to the back side of Snow Summit, to try out the relatively new Skyline mountain bike trail. This was a blast. I just got back into MTBs after a 20 year hiatus and can't believe how much better they are now. The trail was full of banked turns, fun technical rock sections, and plenty of downhill. Still easy enough for a rusty noob like me though.

CDagXoYh.jpg

K0pEN4Zh.jpg

iRhqFhYh.jpg

1rZ9DZ4h.jpg

On another day we drove over to the north side of the lake to try out a so-called "easy" 4WD trail. "It's like the easiest trail on the trail rating scale," said our friend Dan just before we loaded up two 4Runners and my Cruiser full of people. Turns out he was dead wrong - it was Gold Mountain Trail. From the dirtopia.com entry:

This trail is rated "Most Difficult" by the Forest Service, and should only be attempted in high-clearance vehicles. There are several challenging rock gardens towards the top of the mountain. Part of the trail has a bypass known as 3N69A that is more difficult.

from Gold Mountain Trail - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

Anyway, we didn't realize this until we reached a few of those rock gardens. There was a guy in a stock 4th-gen 4Runner getting stuck, but we didn't think much of it. Our vehicles made it through the first garden without any issue. Most of the trail was covered with basketball sized rocks that were easily navigated. The stairsteps in the first garden weren't a problem either but did require some spotting, mostly because none of us has beefy protection (no rock sliders, skid plates, or bullbars).

PtI63Jth.jpg

u7BalFQh.jpg

6CgTf5Bh.jpg

sZtBYxTh.jpg

Thanks to file recovery technology on my friend Dave's phone (Dave pictured above), we were able to reconstitute this grainy 8mm film from the 60s, in which I traveled back in time in my 90s vehicle. Enjoy.

Buddy Dan in his TRD-stupidcharged 4Runner:

IC7p1K3h.jpg

Some xxxtreeeme Jeepers caught up to us, then turned around after getting tired waiting for the other group who was getting stuck in front of us.

oAmR1rKh.jpg

EjIAEeeh.jpg

Most of us then proceeded to wait for 45 minutes as 4Runner after 4Runner got stuck in a large stairstep area. Buddy Dan almost rolled his 'runner when he took the wrong line and lurched onto the throttle or brake (don't remember which) and the right rear tire which was hanging out in space started rapidly descending into negative space...

cdw5Z0Vh.jpg

Lcg4npPh.jpg

At this point we decided to turn around and head back down the mountain. My 3-year-old was in the Cruiser with us and had reached her limit too. Just in time for dusk and a nice BBQ dinner at the cabin.

jEt8ghJh.jpg

LtSJ1kRh.jpg

Overall awesome trip, and we'll likely go back again next year.

Thanks - it was fun. We did more serious offroading over the 4th of July weekend, so I'll write up another trip report about that soon.

Forgot to post this pic of a very clean Samurai that was for sale in Big Bear...

Wi37gb2h.jpg

After this trip, I replaced my reverse light bulbs with CREE LEDs. Obligatory fuzzy nighttime pic below, showing old & busted on left, with the new hotness on the right.

krRL94Mh.jpg

I can use these suckers as camp lights as well as trailer illumination lights...pretty swell if you ask me.

The next trip was over the long 4th of July weekend. We loaded up and met several sets of friends in the Sierras, east of Fresno, CA. The trail system was past Shaver Lake and near Huntington lake - turning off CA hwy 168 we drove in for almost two hours on dirt roads and trails to reach our campsite. It was next to a tiny lake called West Lake, also near Coyote Lake, Sand Flats and the Red Mountain trail.

vpkdNOth.jpg

I didn't think finding our route would be much of an issue with signs so I neglected to map it out in detail or even print out hard copies of the maps. My mistake - after one wrong turn at a junction we ended up driving through some of the steepest and most technical trails I've done with the 80. Not pictured here.

DKbWzmJh.jpg

I ended up crunching the stock running boards on some rocks and trees at this water crossing, but no worries. The BFG KO2s performed admirably with no airing down. I ran them at the full normal 38 psi and only felt slip on a few wet rocks once or twice.

VQXN728h.jpg

We finally asked for directions and made it to the site just before dusk - perfect time to get eaten by mosquitos and set up camp.

XYeIPDbh.jpg

Overall it was a great trip; lots of swimming, some hiking, rocks, RC rockcrawler competitions, RC boat, an appearance by a giant swan. We saw coyotes, deer, and tadpoles. Good times.

ScZeClih.png

GJptIk0h.jpg

GSrMM2gh.jpg

TooMrXXh.jpg

ifJTjyAh.jpg

2oZAyKqh.jpg

(taken by a friend at midnight overlooking the lake)

Hey man, awesome cruiser! I love seeing other white cruisers with grey fenders that are out there. Also, that is one extensive list of maintenance/mods you have there, I think I will definitely have to reference it in the future :cheers:

Ps - You wouldn't have happened to visit a target in San Diego sometime around 2 months or so ago...I swear I saw a cruiser just like yours when I was there!

Looks awesome. I would highly recommend that you ditch those running boards ASAP. You actually take that thing off road, and those things will not only get bent to hell, but bend the rocker panel they are bolted to. Get some sliders and you'll be golden in that area. I'm making this post short since I'm into that whole brevity thing...

Hey man, awesome cruiser! I love seeing other white cruisers with grey fenders that are out there. Also, that is one extensive list of maintenance/mods you have there, I think I will definitely have to reference it in the future :cheers:

Ps - You wouldn't have happened to visit a target in San Diego sometime around 2 months or so ago...I swear I saw a cruiser just like yours when I was there!

Thanks, I appreciate it! The fender flares may be gone soon - they are in bad shape and there's some rust under the rears...

You probably did see my 80 in San Diego. My parents live there and my dad was actually borrowing the truck for most of July. If it had Daily Turismo, Garrett, and "TEQ" stickers on the hatch glass then I can guarantee it was mine.
:grinpimp:

Looks awesome. I would highly recommend that you ditch those running boards ASAP. You actually take that thing off road, and those things will not only get bent to hell, but bend the rocker panel they are bolted to. Get some sliders and you'll be golden in that area. I'm making this post short since I'm into that whole brevity thing...

Thanks for the pointers. Sliders are on the list, and have been for years (my mental list anyway). I haven't needed them until recently, and I was careful in the situations where the boards got bent. I'm thinking a weekend in the workshop later this year with my MIG, a 4x4 Labs rear bumper kit, and some tube for sliders, and that part will be addressed.

That's just, like, your opinion...man. :cool:

Also, nice Saddam avatar.

Nice marmot.

An amphibious rodent...within city limits...that ain't legal either.

Thanks, I appreciate it! The fender flares may be gone soon - they are in bad shape and there's some rust under the rears...

You probably did see my 80 in San Diego. My parents live there and my dad was actually borrowing the truck for most of July. If it had Daily Turismo, Garrett, and "TEQ" stickers on the hatch glass then I can guarantee it was mine.
:grinpimp:

I feel ya on the flares...mine are still in good condition besides a little clear coat peeling so I guess they will stay for now. :meh: I am pretty sure it was your 80, I specifically remember seeing that TEQ sticker and the absence of the rear bumper....then of course I had to walk up to it and check the tire size and I remember the 285's. Keep up with the postings, good stuff man!

Like your style, dude. From one '94 owner to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom