1993-1994 OBD1 fzj80 o2 sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like some before me, I am searching for new O2 sensors for my 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser. The original Toyota kit has been discontinued, and other replacements seem to be hard to find.
Other threads on here have sent me looking for DENSO 234-4520, but even that seems to be difficult to reliably find online.

My thinking is there has to be another O2 sensor that is compatible, a way that I can rewire a new one.

O2 sensors/flange nuts- Denso - (2020 $)
1 - 234-4157 - Upstream - $55
1 - 234-4153 - Downstream - $50
4 - 90179-08059 / 90179-08101 - flange nuts

As OBDI, disregard the up/down stream reference.

O2 sensors/flange nuts- Denso - (2020 $)
1 - 234-4157 - Upstream - $55
1 - 234-4153 - Downstream - $50
4 - 90179-08059 / 90179-08101 - flange nuts

As OBDI, disregard the up/down stream reference.
These look to be part numbers for later 80s. I have read that the 93/94 obd1 cruisers require a different o2 sensor.

These look to be part numbers for later 80s. I have read that the 93/94 obd1 cruisers require a different o2 sensor.
Hmmm...as OBDI myself not sure why I'd have recorded those numbers if they weren't relevant.
Standby...

Last edited:
Just did this last weekend...

Here's the relevant thread. You're going to want a depinning tool and swap out the connectors to reuse your old one. The pins were a bitch to get out, I ended up cutting apart the new (unused) connector instead of depinning that one. Napa had the Denso model I needed for the swap in stock (234-4157 shortpigtail).

Like some before me, I am searching for new O2 sensors for my 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser. The original Toyota kit has been discontinued, and other replacements seem to be hard to find.
Other threads on here have sent me looking for DENSO 234-4520, but even that seems to be difficult to reliably find online.

My thinking is there has to be another O2 sensor that is compatible, a way that I can rewire a new one.

i second the ngk sensors, you can get them on rock auto for pretty cheap, when i got them probably 6 years ago or so they were about 60/per and worked just fine

i second the ngk sensors, you can get them on rock auto for pretty cheap, when i got them probably 6 years ago or so they were about 60/per and worked just fine
Unfortunately that is no longer the case. Rock auto has one remaining Bosch and another brand called Walker products that I’ve never heard of..

Unfortunately that is no longer the case. Rock auto has one remaining Bosch and another brand called Walker products that I’ve never heard of..
Did u look at the link I provided?

$118 USD and in stock, if you think you can get NTK for cheaper then buy the off brand that was not OEM

Just did this last weekend...

Here's the relevant thread. You're going to want a depinning tool and swap out the connectors to reuse your old one. The pins were a bitch to get out, I ended up cutting apart the new (unused) connector instead of depinning that one. Napa had the Denso model I needed for the swap in stock (234-4157 shortpigtail).

Do not re-pin the O2 sensors from that OBD2 years. I tried and mine failed after less than a year causing me not to pass emissions. I ended up getting the Bosch O2 sensors and they seem to be working well, just passed emissions for the 2nd year in a row. Some will say the Bosch ones are garbage and do not last but Bosch has been in the game for awhile.

Do not re-pin the O2 sensors from that OBD2 years. I tried and mine failed after less than a year causing me not to pass emissions. I ended up getting the Bosch O2 sensors and they seem to be working well, just passed emissions for the 2nd year in a row. Some will say the Bosch ones are garbage and do not last but Bosch has been in the game for awhile.
Hmm... I based my approach on your comments in the thread. Whelp, I guess I'll put in an order with a Japanese supplier for the OEM set.

There is no reason the later sensors won't work in the earlier models. The engine is the same; the only possible incompatibility is the ECM, and that has not been shown to happen, so the empirical observation is the sensor map is the same in both, or at least the sensor output range is compatible with the earlier ECM map. Most have had success using the later sensors, although it's always possible to get bad ones.

Hmm... I based my approach on your comments in the thread. Whelp, I guess I'll put in an order with a Japanese supplier for the OEM set.
My fault for never following up. After doing the re-pin I was having a rough idle and could not pass emissions. I got down under the 80 and tested for resistance on the O2 sensors and they were way out of spec, double what is allowed per the FSM.

Hard to find but if you can get these they work great in the factory PAIR location (with the PAIR removed).

NTK 24080
NGK 24080

I paid $165 each in Feb 2023.

1696953733197.png

1696953881728.png

Hard to find but if you can get these they work great in the factory PAIR location (with the PAIR removed).

NTK 24080
NGK 24080

I paid $165 each in Feb 2023.

View attachment 3452458

View attachment 3452459
I looked into that! fortunately you don’t need to pass emissions where I live. My only concern is successfully removing the emissions/vacuum lines underneath the intake manifold.

I looked into that! fortunately you don’t need to pass emissions where I live. My only concern is successfully removing the emissions/vacuum lines underneath the intake manifold.
To remove the PAIR just cap off the vacuum line, no need to pull the intake manifold.

Although if you have never touched those vacuum lines its a worthwhile effort to pull the manifold, replace all the vacuum lines, replace the PHH and throttle body coolant hoses and clean the throttle body while its apart. Its a total "while you are in there" situation that is never ending (valve cover gasket, fuel filter, fuel injector cleaning, heater valve, power steering hoses, wiring harness cleanup and separate from EGR, PCV valve and hoses).....

Referring back to a similar thread from last year, 89465-69115 appears to be the correct part number for the right side (OBDI 93-94). But there is some conflicting info on if this is the longer pigtail, in which case it would work on either side, or the shorter. see below Post #56, and again #72-76. Can anyone confirm that using two part no. 89465-69115 would work with no further modification for this application?

Oh, well i just order 2 of them, spliced the wires and put in both exhaust manifold spots and haven't had any issues. Also passes Smog in CA & WA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom