EGT's with your 1HD-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

(never change out of 5th gear either).

point !

There is not only the air fule ration in your setup .. it's also about your speed and apropiate shifting points in each run ..

I just got around to installing gauges on my '91 with a 1HD-T this weekend. I got the truck through Outback and they said that a lot of the vehicles they see from Japan have "had the fuel turned down" so they go ahead and increase it a bit....

EGT Probe pre-turbo: Driving around in the Vancouver it hangs around 700F (371C). It's pretty damn easy to get it up to 1000F (538C). I did manage to give 'er up a couple of semi-long hills and I can go over 1250F (677C) if I don't let off - I have no idea how much higher it would have gone. That was in 3rd gear (AT) so I also have to wonder how hot the tranny oil would get it I kept that up. When I come to a stop the temps drop to 300-400F (150-205C) very quickly.

Boost Probe in the intake crossover pipe: It's not hard to get it up to 11psi but I assume the wastegate is opening then because there seems to be a definite maximum. I haven't had a chance to really push it at higher rpm's because the EGT's kept making me let off.

I'll do some further testing, but I keep running out of road. :)

I just got around to installing gauges on my '91 with a 1HD-T this weekend. I got the truck through Outback and they said that a lot of the vehicles they see from Japan have "had the fuel turned down" so they go ahead and increase it a bit....

Well thats not good. Good thing you installed a pyro.

SO does that mean anyone who bought from Outback who doesn't run a pyro is going to overheat there engines(egt wise)??

Maybe give them a call and let them know they are turning it up too high.

If you don't run a pyro the temps should be calibrated at the injection shop when they set up the pumps and not fawked with. Then if your stock it can't damage anything.

They should not touch it otherwise.

Then if your stock it can't damage anything.

I saw plenty of old 1HD-T here ( 10 years or more ) with stock pumps settings with high ( really ) EGT over 1400 ºF and still climbing ..

Figured I'd add my latest info to this discussion.

I have now done a few good runs up the Coquihalla highway (goes from near sea-level to 1442 meters) with about 800 pounds of gear and my aluminum boat on top. 34" TrXus tires, 4.10 gears.

My "factory" wastegate settings allow the boost to hit just over 11psi max.

On any big hill I have to get off the throttle way too early because my EGTs can easily go over the magic number. I don't know what my max is but I have hit 1400F a couple of times for a few seconds and it would have kept going up. It sucks ass because I'm driving by the pyrometer and keeping it at 1200F for up to 5 minutes at a time and on the biggest hills my speed drops to 70km/h to maintain this temperature. My '85 pickup on 37's with a 7M-GE could do 90 up that hill...

I'm putting in my manual boost controller tomorrow and bumping it up to 14psi and then I'll be repeating the testing conditions on a 9 day trip next weekend. We'll see what that one little change does to my EGTs.....

Before I installed the pyro (pre turbo) I ran the truck up and down the Coq a few times. After getting the pyro on I quickly turned down the fuel. I was shocked at how high the readings could get prior to turning the fuel down, but after that experience, and absolutely no damage (10,000 trouble free km since turning down the fuel) I'm convinced the engine is a whole lot tougher than people think.

1HD-T w/Defi guage

hello!
i just finshed installing my pyro pre turbo last weekend and test run it on highway. i set the exhaust temp guage to 720C and set the turbo 0.9 bar when i reach the setting it automactically buzzer and light. my question is when i am running 100kms steady the temp drops around 350C to 400C and when i accelerate the temp rises faster than my RPM:D and when i reached the 700C and steady my foot the temp goes back to 400C. is that normal?;) there was a time during the run i push the engine hard and i reached 790C @ 1bar.
as you can see on the dyno sheet the blue line represent stock. after tuning red line there was significant increase in power.
at the same speed of 28mph the stock produced 48hp while after tuning 99hp. :bounce:

stock: 116hp @ 0.71 bar

tuned: 147hp @ 0.82 bar
dynojet100.jpg

Last edited:
I ear some tales from 1HD-T boosting 14 + PSI without intercooler breaking rods, piston and other stuff ..

Anycase the EGT it a direct relation of your amount of diesel in the chamber ( in yor case pistons ) and flow of exhaust ..

If you have more flow but not with load you don't need much diesel in the chamber reason to have cool EGT.

Hi,

Just increased boost pressure to around 0,85bar (before around 0,74). Noticed a significative decrease in EGTs. Temp rising going up hills is also slower. Noticed also an increase in engine power.

I have an air-to-water intercooler fitted. Can I safely increase even more my boost pressure without busting the turbo???

I have an air-to-water intercooler fitted. Can I safely increase even more my boost pressure without busting the turbo???

Are less probably you can bust the turbo .. as is, but you can hurt your engine. You can go up to 14 PSI ( 1Bar = 14.7 PSI ) with intercooler without problems.

Are less probably you can bust the turbo .. as is, but you can hurt your engine. You can go up to 14 PSI ( 1Bar = 14.7 PSI ) with intercooler without problems.

Sorry...but didn't understand...Can go up to 1 bar without problems?? But can hurt the engine :confused:

Edit: a bit off-topic. Better to start a new thread on this one.

Last edited:
Sorry...but didn't understand...Can go up to 1 bar without problems?? But can hurt the engine :confused:.

1Bar + Intercooler = no problems

1Bar + no intercooler = broken engine. :D

Any idea what the power would be at 1 bar + intercooler vs stock boost level and intercooler?

I believe only adding the cooler will have no increase in the power output. You'll need (at least) to increase diesel at the pump in order to notice a diference.

I believe only adding the cooler will have no increase in the power output. You'll need (at least) to increase diesel at the pump in order to notice a diference.

Right ..

Readng some CT-26 info I found the CT-26 wuill be able to produce more than 24 - 26 PSI without mayor problems .. but ( always but ! ) the flo rate of the cool AR can't increase much more than 32-34 lb/ft.

Unless you are currently not using all the fuel to it's max...

Would be interesting to leave the fuel alone (yes, I know you have turned your's back a little Martin) plunk in a cooler and see if there is any improvement at the rear wheels. Certainly, the air going in will be denser...

There is a noticable difference simply up the boost 5lbs or so past stock settings, and not touching the fuel.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom