EGT's with your 1HD-T (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How can you tell from the pistons if the temps have been too high? I just had my 2LTE apart, and this is how each piston looked. Sort of neat, as it's easy to see the flame front propagation, but not sure if the black is an indication of too high a temperature. The pistons are ceramic coated.

I also run a post turbo EGT gauge. Been meaning to move it pre-turbo for ages, just have not got around to it. What I do know, is that my current max EGT is 300F less than it was when the motor was completely stock when I bought the vehicle.

View attachment 1103181

Might be worth starting a new topic as this discussion could become quite the hijack.

Running a GTurbo on my way to work today (90km/50miles with steep hills from mile 3 to 10 and miles 45 to 50. Boosting about 22 max. No heavy load, no towing.
315/75/16 tires on her.
Flat ground at roughly 100km/h 60mph: 800 degrees f.
Moderate incline 90km/h/50mph 900 degrees f.
Steep, steep incline 50km/h 30mph and slower: 1000+ topping out at 1300 in steepest sections.

I've moved my probe pre turbo, seeing 600-650C under full load, 38 psi, 18:1

Im seeing similar number in this thread. Had the truck out on long mountain passes for the first timesince I got the engine.

7mgte turbo @ 14psi
315s
H151
Pre turbo probe

700-900f sustained on flatish ground around 100km

I turned the fuel down a bit after going through some mountain passes as it was too easy to git 1400+.

Im hitting 1250 max now, but really having to slow down to try and keep it below 1150.

Sooo is running 1100 pre turbo sustained for several minutes at a time up steep grades considered safe?

Last edited:
I just got around to installing gauges on my '91 with a 1HD-T this weekend. I got the truck through Outback and they said that a lot of the vehicles they see from Japan have "had the fuel turned down" so they go ahead and increase it a bit....

EGT Probe pre-turbo: Driving around in the Vancouver it hangs around 700F (371C). It's pretty damn easy to get it up to 1000F (538C). I did manage to give 'er up a couple of semi-long hills and I can go over 1250F (677C) if I don't let off - I have no idea how much higher it would have gone. That was in 3rd gear (AT) so I also have to wonder how hot the tranny oil would get it I kept that up. When I come to a stop the temps drop to 300-400F (150-205C) very quickly.

Boost Probe in the intake crossover pipe: It's not hard to get it up to 11psi but I assume the wastegate is opening then because there seems to be a definite maximum. I haven't had a chance to really push it at higher rpm's because the EGT's kept making me let off.

I'll do some further testing, but I keep running out of road. :)

is this on a stock turbo/setting?

I haven't seen Adamb post in ages.
At the time off that post, I'm fairly certain he would have been running a stock turbo.
About the only other option in 2007 was a DIY Supra hybrid or a garrett. I don't think Adam had done this.
Okay thanks

1HDT 5 speed manuel, 285/75/16 ko2,
3 inch SS straight through exhaust with mid muffler, custom made bar & fin FMIC, stock turbo running 15 psi IP , fuel pin slightly modded and main fuel screw increased about 1 turn clockwise.

Just a little puf of black smoke on takeoff. EGT 750c pre turbo on moderate incline at around 110kmph WOT.
Between 400-550C when cruising on flat road around 100kmph.

I just got my boost and egt gauge so I am in the process of getting my fuel right. Any suggestions?

I had the head off my Isuzu a few months back and had a chance to inspect the pistons for any signs of heat damage. I run 750C sustained EGT for minutes at a time and have seen 900C in moments of inattention when towing heavy loads (rpm dropped, boost dropped, EGT's spiked).

Absolutely no heat related damage.
I'm not using this example to recommend others follow. Just to show you need to get it very wrong to melt pistons. My readings are with a 3mm probe (fast acting) in the dead centre of the turbo inlet. I am confident in them.
The worst thing people can do is take dodgy readings as gospel.
My old school diesel mechanic would back this up. I was freaking out about egts over 650C when towing and he said 900C is fine for short bursts. I've had the pump turned up and a hybrid turbo and it'll race up over 700C in no time towing a 2 T boat and trailer. Intercooler and more boost coming next week should keep it in check a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom