Ebay Truck...now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I just received a truck that I bought on ebay that was totally not as advertised. 94 Regular Cab with a V6. The photos that were posted must have been about 5 years old. The truck is totally rusted out...body and frame. The only maintenance the PO reported needing to be done was front brakes. Im sure the calipers would disintegrate in the process. There are holes in the rear differential, exhaust is held together with pipe clamps, fuel tank is rusted....Im sure there is more. That is just on a quick once over by me and the local Toyota dealer. The engine however does run pretty good, the clutch feels solid, nice tires, and the interior is clean. I purchased the truck as a birthday gift for my son. I bought the truck in Janary and due to problems with the transport company I just got it last week. (Yes, a month after his b-day but he still doesnt know about it.) I dont want to dump a bunch of money into it due to the condition of the frame. Any advice on how to part it out if that is a good option? Or is it better to just sell as is, take my lumps and move on? I have three other landcruisers so Im not totally foreign to the "fixer upper" I just wasnt planning on this being one, nor do I think I want to.

Thanks for any advice on how best to proceed.

Dave

Wow Dave, that just plain sucks. :mad: I've got a friend in a similar situation.

To start, also post this, or maybe it can be moved, onto the pre-tacoma section. But I think you already know the answer. If this truck is detrimental to the safety of your son due to the rusted frame, it's gotta go.

Holes in the rear diff? How....what? Is the tank itself rusted bad, or the skid on it. I assume it's the tank, did they store this thing in salt water? Other than finding a frame and rear end, you've got a few options. Find a donor with a bad motor, there has been a 93 V6 4runner on Wichita craigslist trying to sell, but it's got a bad motor (more than likely needs a head gasket). Body looks great. Would be a wonderful father-son project. Then sell off all the remaining to an eager buyer, or a scrap yard.

Selling it may be your best option, but it may hurt. Make sure you give this seller a proper reaming on their rating.

Now if this were a tacoma, you'd be covered under the new buyback for recalled frames that reportedly didn't have adequate corrosion protection. Might double check that yours doesn't fall under this, but it specified tacomas 95-00.

I'll have a :beer: for ya, and let me know if you need me to look at something in the area if you go that route.

Thanks. I just dont feel comfortable trying to sell it to be honest. Like you said, it is just unsafe. Except to someone who is looking for an engine, parts, etc. It does actually look like it was stored in salt water. I was really disappointed when I saw it. The rear bumper is basically not there. Parts of the frame look like they could flake apart. The holes in the rear diff are from rust. It took so long to get it I had it sent directly to the Toyota dealer in Iowa City. I know the service guys pretty well...they were like holy s*** Dave, what did you buy? I did think about trying to swap the engine into another rig. The 4Runner sounds great but I'd really like a pickup. If you see anything around in your area give me shout.

Thanks again.

Dave

i'm going to try and move this over

Hey everyone,

I just received a truck that I bought on ebay that was totally not as advertised. 94 Regular Cab with a V6. The photos that were posted must have been about 5 years old. The truck is totally rusted out...body and frame. The only maintenance the PO reported needing to be done was front brakes. Im sure the calipers would disintegrate in the process. There are holes in the rear differential, exhaust is held together with pipe clamps, fuel tank is rusted....Im sure there is more. That is just on a quick once over by me and the local Toyota dealer. The engine however does run pretty good, the clutch feels solid, nice tires, and the interior is clean. I purchased the truck as a birthday gift for my son. I bought the truck in Janary and due to problems with the transport company I just got it last week. (Yes, a month after his b-day but he still doesnt know about it.) I dont want to dump a bunch of money into it due to the condition of the frame. Any advice on how to part it out if that is a good option? Or is it better to just sell as is, take my lumps and move on? I have three other landcruisers so Im not totally foreign to the "fixer upper" I just wasnt planning on this being one, nor do I think I want to.

Im honestly not comfortable selling it except for the engine or parts, I just think its unsafe.

Anyone know of a rig in need of an engine I could drop it into?

Thanks for any advice on how best to proceed.

Dave

Never never,never,never,never

hand over money for a used vehicle you haven't seen yet.

Dang..that sucks. Always post up on here to find someone in the area that can look at a potential rig. Not as good as seeing it yourself, but better than going in blind.

You might look for a decent rig in your area with a blown engine and try to pick it up cheap. Use your ebay engine, and part the rest of the ebay truck for whatever you can get.

You might look for a decent rig in your area with a blown engine and try to pick it up cheap. Use your ebay engine, and part the rest of the ebay truck for whatever you can get.

This is true. The 3.0 v6's are so problem prone that blown motor v6 trucks are a dime a dozen. It shouldn't be hard to find one. I got a 93 4Runner parts truck a few weeks ago and its only problem was a bad motor. I got it for $350.00

Thanks. I'm going to look around here to see if I cant find a rig in need of an engine...or someone who wants one. Paid $2400 for it, so not a huge dent, but enough.

I didnt know the 3.0's had such a bad rep. I drove a 22R for years until I rolled it. Probably should have kept the engine.

Thanks again.

Dave

That is a Bummer, Ebay does have a help line. Maybe you can try to make a claim against the guy.

You'll be able to find another truck that same year, easy.

here's one - 1994 Toyota Pickup

I've made the same exact mistake before. Got what looked like a half clean 4Runner, was told the frame was solid, and the dude seemed honest. Once I got it home and wire brushed all his black paint off the frame I found rust, more rust, and with a hammer I ended up with some holes. Find a 3.0 pickup/4Runner 3.0 in need of HG's and start swapping, they seem to go for dirt cheap when people get the estimate on the new heads etc. Sorry to hear about the luck man, if you are anything like me you'll probably never buy a truck off ebay again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom