Easier Way to Replace the Shorter of Lower Water Pump Hoses? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months back, I refreshed the radiator and cooling system on my FJ62 with virtually all new OEM hoses and clamps except for one because it looked a little challenging to get to...the short section of rubber hose coming off the water pump that connects to the section of hard pipe. I did replace the larger lower rubber hose on the other side of the hard pipe that then runs to the radiator, but leaving that short one that connects directly to the water pump has been eating at me knowing I didn't completely change out everything while I was in there.

I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable group here if there's an easier way to change out that shorter lower water pump hose without removing a ton of stuff like the radiator, shroud, fan, etc. in the process? Is it possible to change it out by just reaching up from underneath or from inside fender well?

Thanks in advance.

A few months back, I refreshed the radiator and cooling system on my FJ62 with virtually all new OEM hoses and clamps except for one because it looked a little challenging to get to...the short section of rubber hose coming off the water pump that connects to the section of hard pipe. I did replace the larger lower rubber hose on the other side of the hard pipe that then runs to the radiator, but leaving that short one that connects directly to the water pump has been eating at me knowing I didn't completely change out everything while I was in there.

I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable group here if there's an easier way to change out that shorter lower water pump hose without removing a ton of stuff like the radiator, shroud, fan, etc. in the process? Is it possible to change it out by just reaching up from underneath or from inside fender well?

Thanks in advance.
Only if you have long long skinny bendy arms and fingers! On a 62 I’m not 100% sure but on a 60 you might have access if you removed the alternator. Would still be very awkward. Remember to use a 50/50 mix of water and dish soap, it makes the hose slip onto the metal much easier.

I was able to change mine on my 62 but I have a hoist and strong not overly large hands. Just need the right approach and tools. Can't remember if I used a gear wrench or 1/4" ratchet. And at the risk of being called a perv....some lube on the water pump end helped.

That short hose is a PITA no matter how you do it. It can be done, however, because I did it. You'll get it.

Can I see some pics of this hose? I think I have a similar one on my HJ60 to be changed out, and I was thinking "is it even possible without removing the water pump"? I'll take picture of mine to see if it's the same as the gas 60/62 versions....

Zats it @georgebj60

pipe.jpg

Last edited:
Believe it or not, but the easiest way to deal with it is to remove the radiator. Any attempted shortcut trying to avoid that will only bring frustration and cursing. This is a classic example of doing it the long way is the easier way.

I have found in my old age, moving stuff for access is easier than fighting it for access with about the same amount of time spent. These days I keep my frustration level down by just removing things for access. Removing radiator is the easiest here and you'll avoid punching holes in it by accident while working on it if its out. I might try getting away with removing the fan/fan shroud, WP belt and pulley and see if that gets you enough access. I think on a 62 there is some belt tensioner bracket mounted in this area which may still be in the way. 62 experts can chime in here. Sounds like you waste lots of time taking off parts but its faster than you think. My arms don't bend in the ways required to do this without this stuff out of the way. Others will say its possible. I'd love to see how.

I was able to change mine on my 62 but I have a hoist and strong not overly large hands. Just need the right approach and tools. Can't remember if I used a gear wrench or 1/4" ratchet. And at the risk of being called a perv....some lube on the water pump end helped.
jeez....perv!!!

Yes sir that's it, looks like you have an FJ60, but that's the hose. I appreciate everyone's responses . Looks like I'm getting a mix of responses that people have done it both ways. Since others have been successful going the direct method, guess I'll give that a try first and can always go full bore with removal of a bunch of the surrounding components. I'm sure it would be much easier if the truck was on a lift and you could stick your arm straight up in there. I'm really just trying to gauge how much time I need to budget for, but as usual, that may vary depending on numerous factors.

Yes sir that's it, looks like you have an FJ60, but that's the hose. I appreciate everyone's responses . Looks like I'm getting a mix of responses that people have done it both ways. Since others have been successful going the direct method, guess I'll give that a try first and can always go full bore with removal of a bunch of the surrounding components. I'm sure it would be much easier if the truck was on a lift and you could stick your arm straight up in there. I'm really just trying to gauge how much time I need to budget for, but as usual, that may vary depending on numerous factors.
Lift wouldn’t give you much assistance. The hose is still smack dab in the middle. Gl!

I'm getting ready to try to tackle replacing this same hose, it's the short rubber hose (5/8"? about 6"-8" long #15777 I think) that connects the water pump to the oil cooler hard pipe. It's leaking at the hard pipe connection as far as I can tell. I have tried tightening both of the old clamps and every time I think I have it tight it leaks under pressure. It's definitely not easy to get to with the steering stabilizer, belts, etc. all in the way. The water pump and most of the plumbing were recently replaced a few months ago but it looks like this hose and the clamps were not. Hopefully I can do it from underneath the truck without removing anything but I'm sure I will have to drain the radiator.

I did mine whilst changing all the hoses in the engine compartment. I removed the radiator to install a new one and changed it at that time. I can't see how to do it with out removing a lot of stuff.

The water pump and most of the plumbing were recently replaced a few months ago but it looks like this hose and the clamps were not.

Strange. This is the one hose I was sure not to miss when replacing my hoses for this very reason. Lots has to come off to get to it. Not sure why this would have been missed especially if replacing a WP @ the same time. Did a shop do this for you? I would be talking to them if so before I got back into this yourself. If you do end up messing with this yourself, be mindful of the orientation of the clamps you use on it. They can get very close to hitting the AC belt based on its path of movement and depending on how they are arranged and the type of clamp you use. Not sure if this holds true on a 62 but its real on a 60. Originally I think this hose used the flat cotter pin type band clamps which get out of the way of everything:

CotterClamp-1.jpg

I used the Toyota double band clamps so you can definitely orient them to miss the belt. But if doing this again I might look at options for better clearance of the belt. Again not sure this is an issue on a 62 or not. HTH.

Last edited:
Did a shop do this for you?
Yes it was all done by a shop. Unfortunately that shop is about 45 minutes away and I don’t want to drive it there with the coolant leaking as much as it is now under pressure. I may have a local shop take a look or bite the bullet and dismantle the front end myself to easier reach everything. Thanks for the tip on the clamps.

My suggestion is to re-read post 4 and get after it.

Yes, it’s a major pain, but does not take a skilled mechanic to get it done…nor the $$ the mechanic will charge you.

Screwdriver, pliers and maybe 1/4” socket to tighten the hose clamps…and try to position those clamps where you can get to them .

Replace it when you change the other hoses. I didn’t change mine because I could not get to it easily. I left the old one.
Big mistake. Two years later, The lower hose split, leaked fluid on my driveway and ‘dead lined’ my 62 for a week until I replaced the hose and fluid.

If I may make a suggestion, since it IS such a pain to replace, try using silicone hose. Blue hoses in pic are silicone. It will last longer and be less prone to leakage. You should be able to find it anywhere that sells bulk automotive/truck hose. Good luck.

hose.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom