Early FJ40 light and wiper switch screw give away (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
If you ever lost one of the light or wiper switch screws, you probably found out that a standard modern M3 machine screw , course or fine, would not work as a replacement.

So a few months ago, I did some research on the screw size for early wiper and light switches for FJ40s. It turns out that the Japanese used a different screw pitch for some pre 1967 screws and bolts.

Instead of a M3x.5 or M3x.35 they used a M3x.06.
It took a fair amount of research to even find a replacement M3x.06 screw let alone a company that still made and sold them.
At last, the research paid off. I found a company through our friends down under called classic fasteners.

Unfortunately they are not an exact match. The screws are pan head instead of the original flat head machine screw. For a detailed restoration, they may not work for you, but for the majority of people, no one will look that closely at the screw holding your vintage knob in place. Instead they will marvel at the knob itself.

1637961280895.png
1637961306393.png

Anyway, the shipping and handling from Australia is pretty killer for a .50 cent screw. So I bought a few extras. They have been sitting on my shelf for a while collecting dust. If anyone needs an extra 1 or 2 for their restoration, I would be happy to stick them in an envelope and send them your way. If you are planning on reselling the switch once complete, I ask that you purchase your own from the link provided:

Comment below or send a message my way and I'll try and get them to you as soon as I can.

Great info and good timing. I’m in the process of removing the gauges and switches from my dash for painting and may need new ones…IF I am am able to remove the old ones…

I would love one, if there are any left. Thanks for giving us the opportunity. Super nice of you. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom