Early corrugated top fitment on `66 40, will it fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I have an early `66 40 that came (to me) with no hard top. I've slowly aquired 2 of the 3 main components to an early corrugated top. I've read all the posts on mud regarding, but it's still not clear to me. My 2 concerns: will the older fiberglass top line up on the windshield? And will my doors close?
I have the sides and bi-folds, still in the market for the top (if anyone is parting with one). This has been a project I've been waiting to do for some time, hoping for positive feedback.
Thanks
Mark
Gratuitous pic added

IMG_20220927_101009353_HDR.jpg

Corrugated side are straight up on the sides and back. Cap has to match. Those are also taller. Earlier sides than these would but cut out for a tall B pillar on the tub. Those wound create another problem on later tubs.

Think I'm even more confused now. The question remains, if I had the proper top for these sides, would it fit on the `66 tub, including fitting over the windshield, and post `65 doors closing? I'm looking for a definitive yes it will, or no it won't, because.....
Respectfully

The angle in starts at the beginning of the exposed window channel which right at the top of the top of the lower section of the door. If you put a straight edge on later hard top sides you would see the bottom the window is where it bends in. The visibly on the top with a hatch and corner windows is superior to the early corrugated tops. If you look at the construction of the corrugated sides compared to the later sides would see double wall around the windows making it a stouter top.

Back in the nineties FJ40 tops were hard to sell and jeeps tops were gold. During the nineties knew where they were a bunch of 40s were in wrecking yards. As time went on how yards operated changed. Some yards closed and other moved to fast track wrecking. Either way many good rust free parts were crushed and recycled.

I think what I'm gonna do in the spring when it's warmer is mock this set up, up. Take a bunch of pics and post as a new thread. Guess I just need to see for myself. If I can get the doors to close, with the corrugated sides, then I only need to deal with the roof fitment. I found this aftermarket (china no doubt, but an option) steel top on ebay. Not cheap but, steel can be manipulated by a skilled body guy. An expensive endeavour to be sure. I'll bolt the corrugated sides on and see how the doors fit with them on. Then set a post `65 top I have on top of it all, see how it lines up and take some pictures to put this subject in context because I've seen several posts on this, nothing is definitive. I think a top can be made to fit with the steel option, maybe not so much the original fiberglass ones, that would be some serious fabricating. Until then, keep my eye out for an early top. Even if it doesn't fit in the end, maybe I can build a complete early top for someone out there looking for it.
I'll put this to rest until then.

Untitled.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom