E rated tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 80 K miles with D rated 285/75/16 BFG AT tires, and (sadly) mostly highway use, I'm leaning towards a more Highway/comfortable tire.

However, I do not want to go to the standard size (275/70 with 31.2 in. diameter) I'm looking at the Michelin LTX M/S2 in 265/75/16 with 31.7 in diameter. They are only available E rated.

Do you guys have any experience with E rated tires? Will they be too stiff?

Will I be better off going to the standard size P rated tire?

Comments and experience with both types will be appreciated.

In a like to like tire comparison the E rated tire will be less compliant than a D rated tire. For better comfort I suggest a D rated tire over a E rated tire (again...all things being equal in the comparison).

Spresso, thanks for your comments. From D to E - I would not anticipate a big difference.
I was also putting weight in the mix, for comfort and MPG

BFG 285/75 59 pounds (D rated, current tire)
LTX 265/75 48 pounds (E rated)
LTX 275/70 41 pounds (P rated, std size)

Go to the manufacturers website and check the load rating on each tire. You may find the P's not far off a D in the OEM size. Seems crazy but true. I like E's on my 80 and Hundy. E's were not as comfortable and for optimum wear had to be run at higher pressures. FYI, don't forget to upgrade to high pressure stems if you move up weight classes. (I run them on all rims, they are a better stem.)

I really doubt you'll feel much difference. I went to an E rated in my much lighter Tacoma and couldn't tell any difference in ride.

That said, if you're mostly on the freeway, why not a stock-sized P-rated tire? More comfort and better MPG sound like a winner to me. For those off road ventures, just get a second set of 32/33's in a more aggressive tread.

Just proof I'm picky. Load range akes all the difference in the world to me. Personal preference I suppose.
Either way, CH you are correct though, for all highway driving go to stock size and enjoy the benefits. I see no shame in running stock when it suits your needs best.

Spresso, thanks for your comments. From D to E - I would not anticipate a big difference.
I was also putting weight in the mix, for comfort and MPG

BFG 285/75 59 pounds (D rated, current tire)
LTX 265/75 48 pounds (E rated)
LTX 275/70 41 pounds (P rated, std size)

I think you're mixing speed ratings with load ratings here - they are two different things. I've never heard of a P load rated tire. I believe that is referring to the speed rating.

My DT's are an "E" load rated tire but carry a "Q" speed rating. They are not interchangable - but they each provide important info.

That being said, just like Han I went from stock size Michelin LTX's to the E-rated DT's, and have not noticed any perceptible decrease in ride comfort. Then again, YMMV. Each person has a subjective view of comfort and ride quality. I think that for mostly on-highway driving the safer bet would be a D load rated tire.

P rated refers to "Passenger tire", not speed rating.
Load rating and Speed rating are completely different.

No confusion here. 16 years of tire sales and service along with lots of miles on just about every make and model tire you can put on a light truck or SUV. Woody and my lead driver are my test bitches, nearly 800,000 miles on various light truck tires in the last two years alone just between the two of them.

I wasn't suggesting that you were the one that was confused. Hence the reason that I quoted mtycruiser.

I have no experience with the MS/2, but the Tire Rack does have them in both standard load (2601 lbs max per tire load) and E-rated (3415 lbs max per tire) for 265/75-16. Max inflation pressures are 44 psi and 80 psi respectively. Their web site has more info about what standard load and E-rated means.

I wasn't suggesting that you were the one that was confused. Hence the reason that I quoted mtycruiser.

LOL, little comprehension issue there. Sorry I'm a tire nerd.

Another potential solution for your dilemma: I don't know where you are located but Discount Tire has a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee. Don't like the tires...take them back.

I went from a XL capacity Passenger tire to an E-rated LT with a 1" taller sidewall. The ride is a tiny bit siffer in certain conditions, but not enough to worry about at all. ( I went from a 31.6" tire to a 33.1" tire)

E rated = 10 ply

D rated = 8 ply

I had E rated BFGs on my dodge diesel quadcab because the truck would roll way too much with D rated tires and furthermore the door jam shows to use E rated tires on that truck (7,400 lbs).

The only problem i had with BFG AT's was they grab SB2 gravel and sling it everywhere causing my boat to look like i shot it with turkey loads all over the front.

E rated = 10 ply

D rated = 8 ply

I had E rated BFGs on my dodge diesel quadcab because the truck would roll way too much with D rated tires and furthermore the door jam shows to use E rated tires on that truck (7,400 lbs).

The only problem i had with BFG AT's was they grab SB2 gravel and sling it everywhere causing my boat to look like i shot it with turkey loads all over the front.

Just get a set of these for the MOPAR rattlebox. They'll be right at home on it... :D

electra_368420_09_m.jpg

Just get a set of these for the MOPAR rattlebox. They'll be right at home on it... :D

electra_368420_09_m.jpg

All ima say is that Mopar rattle box was one fast truck and im not playin. It would break the tires loose around 40 mph on dry pavement without problem and throw you in the back of the seat on command. Cummins 5.9 inline 6 banger with around 450 RWHP.

Duckln,
I know what you are saying. My 03 Dodge Diesel put down 412 hp and 889 ft lbs of trq at the rear wheels on a dyno. Broke the rear tires loose at 65 in the rain one day. That will get your attention. If it wasn't for a degrading left knee problem i would probably still have this 6 sp manual truck. It was a beauty and a beast at the same time......
1001483.jpg
1001477.jpg

Duckln,
I know what you are saying. My 03 Dodge Diesel put down 412 hp and 889 ft lbs of trq at the rear wheels on a dyno. Broke the rear tires loose at 65 in the rain one day. That will get your attention. If it wasn't for a degrading left knee problem i would probably still have this 6 sp manual truck. It was a beauty and a beast at the same time......

Very, very, nice

Pull the trigger with the LTX M/S2 E-Rated tires. Initial impression after very few miles with them is good.
Compared with my D rated BFG I do not feel them any stiffer. Too early to tell but they actually feel smoother, it can be a combination of the tread design and the lower sprung weight, these tires are 11 pounds lighter than the BFG.
Will report back after playing a little with tire pressure and putting some more miles on them.

stiff new tires

Reincarnation of a thread with a little age on it.. I just put some Nitto TG AT's on Tundra 18-inch rims, 295/70-18 E rated and I notice a much stiffer ride than either the 275 16's LTX M/S's or the 275 18's LTX A/S Michelins. No surprise that they are a bit stiffer, but oy! The LC and I aren't used to such a rigid ride. If I'd have gotten them at a place with a 30-day return policy, I'm thinking that i might be trading them for a D-rated tire.

Anybody want em'? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom