E-Brake issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23

SILVER Star
Threads
This weekend I took my 76 FJ40 for a drive around the neighborhood, nothing special, really just moving it. After a few blocks, I started hearing what I am considering is my e-brake starting to rub along the outside hub where the shoes would make contact. It's almost like they were slowly expanding without the e-brake handle being pulled inside the 40.

So just a few moments later, the dragging sound is a little louder and can now be felt while driving that I'm being slowed down. I start to slow down a little more and pull to the side when it comes to an abrupt stop. I drive again in 1st but immediately stops me again. I put it in reverse and low and behold it releases the brake and I am once again able to drive the few blocks back home with no issue. Although I think iirc I could hear the dragging sound still ever so slightly.

Some back story on the e-brake, I did rebuild it recently after getting resealed transmission and transfer case at Valley Hybrids. The e-brake cable was not replaced, but shoes and whatever comes with the e-brake kit was replaced. A while ago after rebuilding it, I never adjusted it so that the e-brake would actually engaged when pulled, so I adjusted it and then found it was too much and I couldn't move the 40 after I had pulled the e-brake, like it never disengaged. So I adjusted it even more back down and problem went away, but maybe I guess I still need to go another turn down.

I'm pretty convinced this is the e-brake, do I just need to adjust this further down so I don't have this issue? Is it not the e-brake but something else?

Anyone else seen this same issue?

Two things come to mind - the spring on the ebrake shoes isn't pulling the shoes back from the drum reliably, and your ebrake may be adjusted too tight. There should be 7-9 clicks as you pull out the ebrake handle.

I would drop the driveshaft and study the ebrake. Drum brakes tend to be self-energizing in one direction, so it's not surprising that after your truck locked up, the ebrake released when you backed up the truck in reverse. In any case, I think your ebrake shoes are 'going wild' inside the drum and randomly engaging or engaging during forward motion.

I presume the parking brake drum was blazing hot when the brakes engaged hard enough to stop the truck? That would confirm that this is an ebrake issue and not a service brake issue.

With the drum off, I would exercise the handle and shoes and see that they move in/out freely as the lever is pulled/released.

I found an aftermarket cable for my Pig that was longer than stock...

20210703_124231.jpg

Care to share the link or location where you bought that?
I do not recall exactly. Pretty sure i just read the FAQs, maybe searched some.

Before I bought a new cable, I would open up the entire assembly and confirm all components are properly installed and still attached as it sounds to me like something came loose (which has happened to mine & with same symptoms)

Before I bought a new cable, I would open up the entire assembly and confirm all components are properly installed and still attached as it sounds to me like something came loose (which has happened to mine & with same symptoms)
That's good to know you had a similar thing happen. Yeah I will definitely check those things out first. Thanks.

So to put an end to this thread I did exactly as mentioned. I started off by thinking it was the cable and found out it was much more...

Ah, it has happened to alot of us. New tail housing with double seal from Georg at Cruiser Brothers or Gary at Mudraks. Dont assume the shim stack will be the same for the preload on bearings when isntalling new tail housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom