Duramax FZJ80....The project begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With both diffs out I started stripping them ready for cleanup.

021.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

Don’t think the front swivels have ever been apart.

DSC02077.jpg

The front spindles both have bad wear on the bottom section of the outer bearing seating area. This appears to be a common problem as my other 95’ FZJ80 had the same wear.

DSC02079.jpg

Once both diffs were stripped they were soaked in a hot caustic acid tank for a few hours to clean them up, they didn’t turn out too bad.

0292.jpg

Decided to remove the main fuel tank to give myself more room while I install the dummy engine and trans.

DSC02812.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

I quickly rebuilt the diffs and installed them in the chassis, I used some old 2” spring in the front for the mock up.

DSC02801.jpg

Fabricated a lifting bracket for the front of the body.

DSC02819.jpg

Didn’t have a chain block handy so had to make do with a come-along.

DSC02820.jpg

Used the engine crane to lift the rear of the body, made the whole job very easy.

DSC02826.jpg

DSC02828.jpg

Body down on the chassis and in position, body mounts in position and bolts nipped up.

DSC02830.jpg

Awesome work!

Borrowed a mock-up engine and trans, sump is missing but we are getting some new sumps cast up to suit.

2645f565.jpg

Engine sitting roughly in position, 4” exhaust is going to fun to run! I will probably need to move the radiator back towards the engine to fit all the coolers in, I will have a custom radiator, aftermarket A/C condenser, trans cooler and A2A aftercooler.

75bd273d.jpg

e34a6e3b.jpg

How do you "cast a sump" for the duramax?!

Pretty sweet to just be able to make the sump that you need vs. Modify or figure out what sump will work...

Looks like it fits in there nicely!

My mate that I am getting the engine through is organising the new sumps through a foundry here in Western Australia, he needs to get about 10 so having them cast is the best way. The Ally will be a weldable grade (7000 series?) so one sump will be available for both Landcruiser and Patrol conversions, if any more mods then need to be done for individual conversions they can then cut and weld the sump to suit.

two thumbs up! Liking this conversion!:grinpimp:

Thanks mate.

Just cut the original engine brackets off the chassis and am working out what type of mounts I am going to use before fabricating some new brackets. I was thinking of using front radius arm rubbers for the engine mounts to minimise the size of the mounts/brackets but not sure how they would go with torque, braking and cornering forces.

Any ideas?

This will become my favorite 80 ever when it is completed..... that engine belongs in there.

Thanks mate.

little update....I've cut off the original engine brackets from the chassis and I am mocking up some cardboard ones to get them how I want them, so I can then use them as a template to make the steel ones

I think we have spoken about suspension set up for tis truck.

We have 3 customers wanting to go this way, this year.

SHould be a great fit.

Hi Darren, Yes we have spoken about suspension and I will be purchasing springs and shocks from you. I'm picking up my engine and trans when I get home from work (approx 4 weeks).

There appears to be more room in the 80 series around the shock towers and steering box than there is in a GU Patrol.

The only thing I will probably do is scallop out the drivers side foot well firewall to allow a 4" dump off the turbo. The exhaust manifolds should clear the firewall where they run up behind the heads.

Don't you need the turbo an intake sitting on the engine to check clearnace at the firewall?

Local GM shop ends up taking the cab off the chassis when they have to swap turbos because the clearance on GM 2500 and 3500 trucks are so tight, between the firewall and turbo housing.

Also assume you wil have run some incredible body lift to get adequate clearnace as well.

No body lift needed. The turbo sit up in the valley, I'm going to make a new pedestal to move it forward a little.

I'll have some more pics up soon of the engine in position with the cardboard mock-up engine mounts.

Quite a bit of room at the back of the engine, only thing I will need to do is scallop the firewall on the driver’s side footwell to allow some clearance for a 4” dump pipe.

d413ac14.jpg

Enough room for the exhaust manifold that runs behind the heads on both sides then run up to the turbo that sits in the valley.

cd4f116a.jpg

Plenty of room in the trans tunnel for the trans. The Allison is roughly the same width as the Toyota trans but quiet a bit deeper. Still need to get a GU Patrol transfer case but there is plenty of room for it.

5e69bfaa.jpg

af875bcf.jpg

If you guys make a diy swap kit with the mounts, oil pan, and other custom things that are required I would imagine sales would be quite good with US crowd.

The thought had crossed my mind, I'll wait until I get mine in and sorted and see how much interest there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom