Builds DUKE - 1993 HDJ80 / 1HD-T / 5-Speed / 3x Locked / LHD *A slow DIY build / resto* (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EGT and BOOST gauges hooked up, I think they are calibrated well. I’d love to hear numbers on the 1hdt and what I should be looking out for! Everything on mine is OEM For the most part.

EGT probe is pre turbo. Boost vacuum hose was tied into the hose coming out of the ‘turbo’ crossover manifold.

Initial tests show:
Idle after warmed - EGT ~360F / BOOST ~4.6 PSI
110kph @ ~2500RPM - EGT ~600-800F / BOOST ~10 PSI
During acceleration onto highway - EGT ~1000 - 1200F / BOOST ~12PSI
Short burst of full acceleration - EGT ~1100 - 1400F

id love to hear any thought on these numbers and any recommended adjustments.
Bryce hi,

I highly recommend the PDI intercooler. Will be one of your best investments. It will reduce your EGT considerably even with higher boosts. I installed also a Gturbo and tapered down the boost to 18 psi. This is a photo climbing the back side of the Sierras at 65 mph. EGT (pre-turbo) never exceeds 1000F. The engine will live longer. :)
IMG_2232.JPG

What type of adapter did you use with your EGT gauge? I’m going to pull the trigger on some of those Auber gauges, and I’m thinking the M8 adapter would be the easiest to tap and thread.
YUp I did the m8. Figured if something ever failed, I’d have a bolt lying around for an emergency plug repair.

You drill the manifold in place? Use the greased bit method?
That was the plan. I was going to use a magnet to get shavings out. However, I found a crack in the manifold and ended up replacing it. I was able to tap into the new one before I installed it.

Thanks. I just bought a 1HD-T to put in one of our 40 series, and had a small crack. Debating if to TIG weld it. The way to avoid these cracks is to install an intercooler. I think Toyota figured that out a few years later.

Thanks. I just bought a 1HD-T to put in one of our 40 series, and had a small crack. Debating if to TIG weld it. The way to avoid these cracks is to install an intercooler. I think Toyota figured that out a few years later.
Partsouq had everything I needed. Luckily it had the EGT plate already blocked off. a 40 with a 1hdt sounds amazing! Can’t wait to see that! I wish there was an inter cooler option that could keep the awesome ‘turbo’ manifold. I love the look.

Hey Bryce,

I highly recommend the intercooler (to save the engine). In our opinion (3-4 80 series diesel guys) PDI makes the best product. It's a few hours of install on the driveway.

Also, to protect your car, install rock sliders. The first rocker panel damage would cost you more then the sliders... :)

Hey Bryce,

I highly recommend the intercooler (to save the engine). In our opinion (3-4 80 series diesel guys) PDI makes the best product. It's a few hours of install on the driveway.

Also, to protect your car, install rock sliders. The first rocker panel damage would cost you more then the sliders... :)
Yeah I’m hoping to get some white knuckle Offroad because I think they are the only ones that make a proper one of the hdj80. This lack of work from COVID just has me on a tight tight budget at the moment. Spent every dime I had on the truck before it all hit... haha oops! Let me know if you or anyone you know needs photo or video work! 😉

Yeah I’m hoping to get some white knuckle Offroad because I think they are the only ones that make a proper one of the hdj80. This lack of work from COVID just has me on a tight tight budget at the moment. Spent every dime I had on the truck before it all hit... haha oops! Let me know if you or anyone you know needs photo or video work! 😉
I installed on mine Ken Hanna rocksliders. They fit perfectly. I have a 3” stainless exhaust that fits like the stock. If you need more info LMK.
506B4623-2A65-4237-B4F6-28FB2097953E.jpeg

I installed on mine Ken Hanna rocksliders. They fit perfectly. I have a 3” stainless exhaust that fits like the stock. If you need more info LMK. View attachment 2358595
Yeah maybe a new exhaust is the answer then it won’t get in the way of sliders. I’d love to be able to keep the OEM mud flaps with the sliders as well

I installed on mine Ken Hanna rocksliders. They fit perfectly. I have a 3” stainless exhaust that fits like the stock. If you need more info LMK. View attachment 2358595
What do you run for your suspension? Mine is in need of an update. The springs are old and sagging and I don’t even know how old the shocks are...

What do you run for your suspension? Mine is in need of an update. The springs are old and sagging and I don’t even know how old the shocks are...
OME stiff. 3" lift. Nothing fancy, but very reliable. I put 31K miles in the last 14 months and love the way it rides. I could have gone a bit stiffer, but I don't think they have a set.

Took 20 minutes today to adjust the injector pumps timing on the 1hdt. 1mm was recommended and it seemed to work a treat. EGTs are down and low rev power is up. No more / less smoke than before. Yellow is the old mark. Blue is new.
F19EF44F-2AE3-4EA9-B720-DF7EA54840F0.jpeg

F9A8383D-F59A-4014-8728-EF2A813A0A14.jpeg

Hey there. Where did you get your exhaust made? I could use a 3in stainless setup here soon.

Hi Bryce,

right here...

They are out of stock, but contact them. They are great people. Shipping was like $200. You will not find anything for that price.
The only thing... I bought a V band stainless 3" and replaces the 3 bolt flange. It is so much cleaner and easier to open.

IMG_8084.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom