Driving Teton pass in a 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nothing really special to report here. I have seen a few people planning trips ask about driving over Teton pass and how it is in a 80. Well i drove it both was today making a quick trip into Victor ID and back. The pass is not really that bad. Only goes to about 8,300 ft elevation and is not that long of a climb. The worse part is that it is 10% grade or more. Kind of steep for a 80 to climb.

My 94 is pretty heavy, sliders, bumpers, skid plate, roof rack and M12,000 on it. But it is only on 285s with stock gears and healthy motor. Basically it was just a slow process. I kept it at about 35MPH in 2nd and it did fine. Just pull over and let people pass. The one crappy thing is if you pull over i had a had a hard time building speed back up to 35mph. I dont like to have it floored. At one point i found it didnt want to hold 35 and i was slowing down to 30 right at the top. Maybe 4.88 gears are in my future, definitely if i want 35s.

Not really a big deal. I didnt have my Koso turned on. But for what it is worth the OEM temp gauge didnt budge. I am sure it was running warm, but not hot enough to budge the OEM from horizontal.

coming down, If you can go slow, 35-40 you will be all set. Just drop it in 2nd and you will be on and off the brakes just a little to maintain that speed.

All the speeds mentioned will keep it under 3,000rpm i think in 2nd. I dont like revving the motor too high. For all i know it might have actually done better at 3,500RPM climbing.

Any good sights?

worthless.gif

3000rpm??? Spiders must like building webs in the exhaust system of your babied 80....

Have you looked at the torque/hp curves of a 1fz ?

cheers,
george.

I ran Pikes Peak up and down all in low range, 3rd and 4th gear last Sept. no harm, no foul, very little brake pedal required, just a bit coming into the hairpins. Yes, you CAN rally an 80!!

3500 to 4000 in second, engine terms run about 116-118 but the truck doesn't mind the RPMs

Most of us in AZ run the mountain climbs in second and outside air well over 100, most have 35 inch tires, some like Tools and Inkpot are running 37's. Stock gears and put the skinny pedal down, you should be able to hold 50 or 55 MPH.

I think there is a video somewhere of LandCruiserPhil running up a hill, here in AZ with the AC on, at 4500 rpm and his engines temps are actually cooler than if he were doing less rpm's.

I think there is a video somewhere of LandCruiserPhil running up a hill, here in AZ with the AC on, at 4500 rpm and his engines temps are actually cooler than if he were doing less rpm's.

YEP!
Also pulling my Light Way trailer:flipoff2:

I bought my first 80 2 yrs ago from a guy in Victor. When I drove over the pass headed bcak to Tampa, Fl I was on the verge of over heating at the summit. He had just put a new radiator, water pump and thermostat in it about 25 miles before I got it. I am pretty sure it just had an air pocket because after it cooled I cycled the thermostate and It has run like a top since. We will be concouring that pass again in a few weeks as we have decided to drive back out for those awesome huckleberry shakes at the Emporium lol.

You guys are hilarious. I know these motors are tough but it just feels so wrong to spin this thing like a like a small 4 cylinder!

But as much as i dont like to admit it you might be right. The other day i ran a pass over the contenetal divide twice. Once my normal way, low rpm in drive at 40mph. The second time in 2nd at 40mph higher rpm. Engine temps were lower at higher rpm in 2nd. Put still no where near 4500rpm.

Passes and an 80 series: 2nd gear and screaming.

The 1FZ-FE loves it.

Back in the day i built a 4 cylinder motor with a 6800 rpm redline. The older guy that helped me build it really new his stuff. His attitud was that anything below redline was normal driving, run it all day like that!

3000rpm??? Spiders must like building webs in the exhaust system of your babied 80....

Have you looked at the torque/hp curves of a 1fz ?

cheers,
george.

Funny story. A few months ago my wife and i were driving the 80 cross country. We pulled into a rest stop to switch drives. I left the truck running and I climed in the pass seat. She climed in the driver seat. She turrned to grab something out of the back and i hear this crazy noise "from some where outside". She is turned around getting something out the back seat with her right foot on the gas planted on the carpet. Truck running in park bouncing off the rev limiter (god i hope it has one). It only lasted a few seconds but it felt like a eternity. That motor can sing for sure. But it turned my stomach. I guess no harm no foul.

I think she didnt realize i left it running and just didnt think about where her feet were.

Last edited:
I drive my 80 up to the Sierra's regularly. Today it was 105 coming out of Sacramento. It wil pull most of the grade in 3rd, but requires dropping back to second regularly, back up to 4800 rpm when it shifts back to third. I have been doing this for 14 years and the Truck has 255k on it. I hust had a compression and leakdown test and all was good. With the ARB, hella lights and a baja designs lightbar, I saw 215f briefly today, generally 208-210, that was with the AC blasting, 5 year old landtank fan clutch and new toyo radiator.

Drive a 1FZ-FE like you stole it.

Trust me. Toyota engineers Ito-san Kakeno-san and Ezoe-san will thank you for it.

Drive it like you stole it? A few days ago we were out in the Elk Refuge in Jackson wy. 10pm july 4th watching fire works. The plan was to continue in on the dirt roads up into the national forest and camp. As the fire works ended i see a loooong line of headlights heading our way and to the same campsights we want.

So we jump in the 80 and start down the long straight dirt road to the forrest. I see this line of lights behind me. Then i remember that i have not really "tested" my new remote reservoir Radflow. So i said somthing to my wife about wife about the new shocks, the cars behind us and maybe to hold on. Lets just say at about 65 in the dark she said slow down some and we had first pick of campsights!

Sustained high rpms gets cylinder Temps nice and hot which gets rid of carbon build up-its good for the engine to do this. Keep in mind people add quite a bit of forced induction to the stock motor so revving it without forced induction is no stress on the crank, rods, and Pistons naturally aspirated at all really unless something is wrong with the engine.

I fought it my first day here in Estes park, trying to baby it. Today I was flying all over the mountain roads in 2nd gear. My wife about wore out the "oh s*** handle" :lol:. So much better when you keep it above 2500rpm in 2nd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom