Driving Experience: Superchared 6 vs. 98+ V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It even comes with premium fuel only labels to put by your gas tank cap. :D

At $470 for an install--do it. It is not as simple of a job as it initially sounds.

Beetleman said:
Just curious - does the 4.5 I6 require premium fuel after a TRD S/C install? 91 octane pump gas would seriously dent wallet...

Sorry but the math doesn't work out on this. Assuming you drive 15,000 miles a year and average 12mpg, you will use 1250 gallons a year of gas. Premium generally runs 20 cents per gallon more than regular unleaded, so you are talking a $250.00 per year increase in gas. How will this break your wallet while buying and installing a $3000 supercharger (plus $800 in labor) won't?

I would recommend Slee for all of your needs. He did all the work on a '93 I had. If it was possible, that's where my '95 would be going for everything, service, aftermarket parts, etc. I really like the fact that he has a lot of knowledge specific to the 80 series.

tenmile said:
Here's what I'm thinking:
Now:
TRD Supercharger (Dealer install $470 Longmont)
Slee or FOR or OME 4inch medium lift (Need to get quote)
ARB Rear Locker for Now (Slee or other Install)
Slee Sliders (step side)
Center Diff Switch for High Lock
Tires: BF TA KO's LT315/75R16/D

Later:
GPS in Dash
ARB Front with Lights
ARB/Slee Rear with Tire

Your thoughts?

I say the FOR and Slee 4" are superior to OME because they use higher quality springs, and because OME's design principle is to just provide springs and shocks, which can create a lot of unneeded compromises. What that means on an 80 is a 2.5" lift runs a 10" travel shock and about 6"-6.5" of that is up travel.

Which also means that the OME 2.5" kit, which runs the exact same shocks as the OME heavy (3") kit and the OME stock height kit, can only run 33" tires. You could run those tires stock. Makes no sense on a rig that has wheel wells the size of a 35" tire with no trimming needed.

I run the FOR kit (and I have the prototype) - it replaced OME 2.5 (medium). I still grin every time I drive it...it is that much better. Offroad there is no comparison, it's not even the same rig. The suspension is still 10" travel but it fits 35's and runs them with a perfectly balanced 5" of up and 5" down travel. This is my family rig - four kids and all - but I still wanted an optimized suspension for my use (mall and rock crawling, low weight, no forced induction) and am fortunate that Frankie built me one.

So: Slee 4" for an "expedition" build with all the goods (more height to handle the extra weight), and FOR 3" for a more bare bones rock crawling setup that still mall crawls like a champ.

A 35" spare won't fit in the stock location, so your "later" plans for tire carrier may not work unless you want to throw the spare on the roof (and I use the word "throw" loosely here :D ) like I do.

Skip the BFG's. There are so many tires that are so much better, and given you live in Summit Co I'd want a tire that didn't suck so badly in the snow while being poor in monsoon rains and fairly harsh riding on the dry pavement because it needs extra air pressure to handle well.

Take your rig to Slee for the work. You won't regret it, and Golden is just up and down the hill for you.

Nay

Driving in the mountains with stock gears and 315's will be a dog, even with a SC. Either go with 285's or re-gear as well. That will be a good penny.

tenmile said:
Here's what I'm thinking:
Now:
TRD Supercharger (Dealer install $470 Longmont)
Slee or FOR or OME 4inch medium lift (Need to get quote)
ARB Rear Locker for Now (Slee or other Install)
Slee Sliders (step side)
Center Diff Switch for High Lock
Tires: BF TA KO's LT315/75R16/D

Later:
GPS in Dash
ARB Front with Lights
ARB/Slee Rear with Tire

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are you should be looking at gears at the same time you do the ARB install. It saves labor and I think even with the blower you want them with 315s.

OK, Car arrived from CA this week, DAS shpped, no problems. Excellent condition in/out. Minimal rust, underbody. I will post pictures soon. Everything is stock, needs a few things:

Keyless Entry
90K service (tighten steering?)
New Tires

In response to the input, I possibly will go with 33's and a 2 inch lift. I really do not want to change gearing, and I do want to maintian good road handeling characteristics. Tires I had BF's on an 97 Tacoma- liked them alot, what other tires for on/off would you recomend? Nay, whats not to like about BF's? Also, am thinking OME Medium 2.5 lift? I cannot find the FOR lift for sale?

I have some time off today, and considering the tires for this afternoon. 285's or larger?

Unless you are going to spend a lot of money on re-gearing, get the 285's. The mountains and altitude will all ready be giving you a power hit.

BFs seem good.... until you try something else.
Cheers
Sean

I have the Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor AT's. I love the results I got in a 4ft snow storm in Big Bear earlier in the year. Mine are 285's and have served me very well in the snow, rain, dry pavement, and rocks. I honestly think that with the thick sidewalls these have and the characteristics mentioned above they are going to be very hard to beat in your conditions for an AT. The Bridgestone Revo will also give great on road/snow/ice results. Some have complained about their sidewalls though....although there are many who love everything about them too. I personally would not look at another AT besides these two for multiple conditions.
here are a couple of pics is different weather:

Smit
bigbearsnow.jpg
TireMillerJeepTrail90406 091.jpg

1st Appearance

Well, I went for the BF 285's, perfect installation, much improved look. Install complete by 9am Sat Sept 16th, over Guenella Pass by 10:30 am and on to Kenosha Pass Colorado where she had her fisrt ever off-road experience, probably 1st time with center diff locked at times. Very impressed with the BF's and the cruiser. What a value, I saw a few H3's and an H2 with no, I repeat no suv envy at all, just a full wallet :) We hauled our 2 children, wife, my sister, and 84 year old grandmother for the maiden voyage. Not a single rub, just a few scrapes on the mud flaps. Photos:
kenoshalc.sized.jpg

kenoshalc5.sized.jpg

kenoshalc6.sized.jpg

Please continue the advise on the lift/servicing. Thank you for tire advise.
Sincerely, Tenmile

tenmile said:
Ok, so now that I have upgraded tires, what will the lift do for me, is 2.5 significant enough to make a diffrence?

I'd do OME 2.5". I am not sure if Frankies Offroad has the 3" kit out yet (I have the prototype), and if you got it you'd be selling your 33's for 35's. Anything more the OME is built for 35's. The 2.5" will make a difference. Make sure you do the caster correction bushings.

Now if you are thinking about getting into rock crawling we probably need to talk...but you already got those 33" BFG's so get OME and give it a couple of years to see if you need more ;)

Congrats - I haven't spent enough late Summer time in the High Country. Nice to seem some family pics amongst all the "hardcore" stuff. Nothing more hardcore than raising little ones :cheers:

Nay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom