drivetrain leaks - Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 62 rad I bought from Perf. Rad over two years ago was around $200 shipped.

I just paid $150 for mine and autos are more expensive so $200 sounds about right. I just can't find it on their website.
dunce.gif
Maybe you should just give them a call.

leaky cruiser!

One more thing I found to leak is the tranny shaft seal (the shaft that comes out of the tranny and goes into the bellhousing/clutch area). I did a clutch recently for a customer along with the rear main,oil pan, and transfer case output seals.Once we were in there we noticed that what was thought to be the rear main leak was THAT seal as well as the oilpan, but we did the rear main anyhow for preventive maintenance! GOOD LUCK!

Just bought a 1988 FJ62 with 278,000 miles on it.
It has a rear main seal leak, minor radiator leak, transmission and transfercase have fluid coming out as well. I plan on replacing all the gaskets and seals related to these problems. While I'm getting at the rear main seal I'll replace the other gaskets up there as well. What else do i need to replace or be careful of? Any bearings or forseeable issues with the transmission and transfercase? I will be buying the factory manual before repair. Please send me to the best links or share your wisdom. I have been searching all of these subjects and I want the best information I can get from the people who know. I will try to do the best writeups I can as well to help out future do it yourselfers.
-Randy

Hey Rondog,

Just so I understand 'cause I learning all this stuff. But this doesn't apply to autos, right?

:beer:

One more thing I found to leak is the tranny shaft seal (the shaft that comes out of the tranny and goes into the bellhousing/clutch area). I did a clutch recently for a customer along with the rear main,oil pan, and transfer case output seals.Once we were in there we noticed that what was thought to be the rear main leak was THAT seal as well as the oilpan, but we did the rear main anyhow for preventive maintenance! GOOD LUCK!

Took the first step and ordered the factory service manual today. I guess I'll adjust the valves while the cover is off. One cylinder was making a very small misfiring noise when idling sometimes so i tried replacing the spark plugs. They were good so hopefully it's something to do with the valves and can simply be adjusted. Seems like my list of maintinence jobs is going up. I hope I can wrap all these up in a few weeks so i can start the real fun fabbing sliders and bumpers.

I prefer hard copies when working on a vehicle. electronic copies are more for perusal and entertainment.
I ordered one today and it was only around $40 with shipping. I asked her if there were many different books and she didn't know anything. So... What manuals do I need and how many are there to complete the set for the whole vehicle?

I prefer hard copies when working on a vehicle. electronic copies are more for perusal and entertainment.
I ordered one today and it was only around $40 with shipping. I asked her if there were many different books and she didn't know anything. So... What manuals do I need and how many are there to complete the set for the whole vehicle?

This lists the manuals for the 2F but there is a website at the bottom that shows how to determine what manuals go for which vehicles.

IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - FSM Prices???

IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - FSM Prices???

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. The pdf mentions that the 3FE should be running on 91 octane. I run my engine on cheap 89 octance. Will this result bacd performance or do all your FJ62's run 87?

Thanks for the link. The pdf mentions that the 3FE should be running on 91 octane. I run my engine on cheap 89 octance. Will this result bacd performance or do all your FJ62's run 87?

87 here.
91 recommended huh? I'll take that as a typo or something, as no way would our tractor motors need hi-test.

I was able to degrease my front end this weekend. Leaks are easier to see now. I found a leak coming from the front pumpkin where the driveshaft goes in. The last owner didn't use 4wd and now I've been starting it up. I assume the seal in there is hard and brittle and not doing its job. How hard is it to replace? Any diagrams, schematics, pictures, or links would be much appreciated.
-Randy

I was able to degrease my front end this weekend. Leaks are easier to see now. I found a leak coming from the front pumpkin where the driveshaft goes in. The last owner didn't use 4wd and now I've been starting it up. I assume the seal in there is hard and brittle and not doing its job. How hard is it to replace? Any diagrams, schematics, pictures, or links would be much appreciated.
-Randy

Rebuilding and setting up a Land Cruiser differential

The link you sent is quite informative but I didn't see references to the seals. I'm sure I'll use that resourse when installing new gears or a locker. Any info on the front driveshaft to differential seal?
Thanks again.
-Randy

Randy, this is assuming you are referring to the outer axle seal between the axletube and knuckle, not the inner axle seal between the diff and axletube.
Search for 'knuckle rebuild' and it'll detail the seal replacement procedure as a smaller part of the overall knuckle job.
Since the rig is new-to-you, I personally would do the full knuckle job, but if you are confident the remaining seals aren't leaking, and that the knuckle grease isn't contaminated/degraded, then that's up to you.

As far as the outer axle seals, go with Marlin's seals, as they are an improved design from OEM.

Driveshaft-to-diff seal would be referred to by pinion seal, and it's avail aftermarket or OEM, I went with OEM Toy when I replaced mine. It was a :banana: job.

Last edited:
Oil Pan Gasket

A note of warning/FYI about the rear main leak...
That being it may not be the rear main seal. ON our 62's, the oil pan gasket leaks in the same area as the RMS, and often mimicks a RMS leak. My own classic signs of RMS leaking was cleared up 100% with a new oil pan gasket.

This post has a possible guide on reducing further oil pan leaks.

I only have 18 years exp owning an FJ62, and in that time the most common non-routine maintenance item in 172K has been the oil pan gasket.

Toyota dealer wanted to replace the RMS in 92; but it was the gasket. As stated, shop had a devil of a time removing & must have bent the pan. As I was told I would need a new pan after the 2nd replacement. It is leaking again, and the new pan is in the basement, waiting.:grinpimp:

Wile E Coyote: The PO did a knuckle rebuild within a year and those seals look great. The pinion seal is the one leaking, didn't know what to call it. I'll get on replacing that when i remove the tcase and trany.

4xoddic: I think I'm in the same boat as you. The rear main seal might be leaking but the oil pan is definitely leaking. My whole drivetrain is leaking as it is a 280,000 mile vehicle. Once I get all the parts it's going to be a long weekend.

As always, thanks for the help and info.

I need to replace the contacts in my starter. How do i make sure the starter is the original and not an aftermarket replacement? Any identifying marks? Pics anyone? Thanks.

have you done the rear main yet? I am about to do mine and wondered how hard it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom