Doors fling open - latches not holding! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a door latch set and strikers from Cruiser Corps for a late model 40 and recently installed them. I have tried every position available for the striker and cannot get either latch to remain closed.

Here's the symptoms:
- doors will close and latches appear to fully engage
- bumps in the road will cause the latch to release one click. It's still engaged, but not fully
- bumps in the road cause the latch to full release and the door opens :eek:
- When the doors are closed and I pull on the door (from the window opening) the door latches release and the doors open.

Is there another adjustment I should be considering?
Have other experienced this problem?
Any recommendations?

Thanks very much

BTW - Cruiser Corps is providing great service and has offered to send a new set out.

I had a door on a 78 recently that was doing the exact same thing. I think there is a spring in the locking mechanism that gets weak or breaks. You probably need a new one; I got the new one from coolcruisers.

Have you tried moving your catch hoops a little more to the outside of their position? I think the new plastic inside that latch don't give it a lot of room for slop. Moving the loop out might give the latch a better opportunity to catch.

Odd problem Randy... Knowing you and knowing your no idiot when it comes to fixing and repairs... I can see ya trying every last cm foward and back to make it work... I would be lead to think its the new door latch... Try replacing with your old one?

Thanks for the input all.

89cruiserfj62 - I had a door on a 78 recently that was doing the exact same thing. I think there is a spring in the locking mechanism that gets weak or breaks. You probably need a new one; I got the new one from coolcruisers.
The latches are brand new and both are malfunctioning in the same way. Seems odd that both springs would be weak or break, but maybe you're right.

kurtnkegger - Have you tried moving your catch hoops a little more to the outside of their position?
Yes, I tried every position possible for the catch hoops/strikers.

JohnnyC - Odd problem Randy... Knowing you and knowing your no idiot when it comes to fixing and repairs... I can see ya trying every last cm foward and back to make it work... I would be lead to think its the new door latch... Try replacing with your old one?
Thanks for the vote of confidence Johnny, but after this entire build to be stumped by door latches doesn't make me feel too bright. I haven't tried the old latches and will as they worked fine albeit a little sloppy.

fj401978 BTW - If Cruiser Corps is willing to trade out with you, ya might wanna go that route...could be something not right within the latch.
Already happening.

The reason for the thread was to see if there was any way to adjust the latches or locking mechanism and it doesn't seem like there's anything to do based on feedback. They either work or don't.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
New latches...same problem

Ok, now this is baffling. Cruiser Corps was kind enough to send me a new latch set which I installed tonight. The same issue persists.

Here's couple videos of what's happening. I am closing the doors so the latch is completely closed - two clicks - and then pulling the doors open.

Door latch video 1
Door latch video 2

Not sure it will help but you can see how easy it is to pull the doors open without using the door handles. It's hard to believe that 4 brand new latches don't work and Cruiser Corps has mentioned that they have never heard of this before.

Is it possible to connect some of the linkage incorrectly so that is causes the doors to unlock/pop open?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. Trying to find the old latches now to see how they work.

Baffled in Boston!

How worn are your door hinge bushings or pins, and could excessive wear there allow for this issue? I have the old style doors and catch, so it's just a thought. All of the stock hardware is pretty easily replaceable. When I bought our '69 there was nothing left of the bushings and the doors were quite sloppy. With your style of latch I wonder if door slop could keep the latch from locking closed properly.

I don't know if this is any help but, my doors are completely rebuilt. New locks, new keys, mechanisms, etc. When I put in the new locks I was ecstatic since now I could lock stuff inside and not have to worry about new leg-shoots growing on whatever a left inside. I closed the passenger door with window up. Locked it. Unlocked it with the key and did the high five with myself and moved over to the driver side. Window down locked and unlocked everything was swell until,..... I drove down to the handy store and with passenger side locked and window up, and untouched since the last performance; and the driver side window down and door locked, neither would open with the key.

After adjustments to both sides, the driver door works as it is supposed to and the passenger side works intermittently.

Scary. Check the linkage inside the door.

I think that there are 2 possibilities.
1. The striker has some wear and is a bit thinner on the outside. Flip it 180 degrees.
2. Do the adjustment per the FSM. It can be too critical. Loosen up the 3 bolts for the door handle and the one for that triangle thingy and make it work with the outside door handle first.
Image-32crop.jpg

Rudi
Image-32crop.jpg

Last edited:
69LC - How worn are your door hinge bushings or pins, and could excessive wear there allow for this issue?
New door hinge bushings and pins.

Scary. Check the linkage inside the door.
I think that there are 2 possibilities.
1. The striker has some wear and is a bit thinner on the outside. Flip it 180 degrees.
2. Do the adjustment per the FSM. It can be too critical. Loosen up the 3 bolts for the door handle and the one for that triangle thingy and make it work with the outside door handle first.
Attachment 787577

Rudi
Good ideas on the bushings, pins and linkage adjustments, thank you.

Rudi - thanks for posting the FSM page. New strikers. I have adjusted the linkages repeatedly with no results as the latches still release when pulled. No dice.

I reinstalled the oem latches and they work perfectly, although they're a little worn. Guess I'll stick with these for a while.

I wonder if the four new latches I received are a bad batch. :meh:

Thanks for the support all.

Door latch issues

I bought the same door latches and they had the same issue. I noticed when I locked the door, while I was driving, they would not pop open. I dove the vehicle for a week or so, with the doors locked, and after a period of time they stop opening on their own. Now they latch fine and they don't pop open anymore.

Had a similar problem with two sets of latches from CCOT. They told me they had never seen this issue as well, but both sets I tried had the same results. I decided it was better to have a slightly wore set of OEM Toyota latches than have the door fly open randomly. I sent them back and have been happy with the old.

Revisiting the door latches again. I reinstalled the oem latches that came with the truck and they work, but are too worn. One of the pin openings is rounded out on each side which is the reason for the doors not closing tight and produced rattle.

Does anyone know of;
- any other proven aftermarket latches available, other than what CCOT and Cruiser Corps sells?
- NOS somehwere?
- anyone selling OEM latches in good condition?

Thanks!

how much force are you using to pop those doors open? Could be just because you are holding the camera but it seems pretty violent.

Door latch issues

I bought the same door latches and they had the same issue. I noticed when I locked the door, while I was driving, they would not pop open. I dove the vehicle for a week or so, with the doors locked, and after a period of time they stop opening on their own. Now they latch fine and they don't pop open anymore.

try this ^^??

Had the same issue. I noticed that striker parts do not line up the same as oem. After a couple of weeks of adjusting, it seemed to be verticle adjustment on striker was the only thing that made a difference. Still don't completely trust after 3 months. Looking for oem.

Tried that ant, thank you. I locked them and drove around and the doors would either pop open one click or open all the way.

In the videos, I'm pulling the door open fairly hard from the outside and punching it open with the same amount of force from the inside. Two sets of Cruiser Corps latches did this while the old OEM latches do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom